Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
NEED ADVICE, BRAKE PADS

Well friends the situation is that I have hawk ceramics on my car. The squeal is basically unbearable. I have done the bed in procedure and cut rotors, etc. I ca't stand it any more. They pads dont stop better then stock, are horrible sounding. Its a waste of money. But I do like that they produce a lot less dust. So any other brands, like ebc, have a similar low dust properties but with no squeal. (ps I am about to just drive around with ear plugs at this point and loud music all the time)
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Rallyman6

Drives: '10 2SS/RS IOM, Wht Stripes, Roof
I have green stuff pads. I like them, very little squealing. www.buybrakes.com

2SS/RS IOM, Wht Stripes, 6MT, IO Interior, Roof, Eibach Sways, BC Coilovers, BMR Swing arms,Barton Short Shift, BBK LT's, GMPP exhaust, Hi-Flow Cats, MAST Stage 2 Cam, CAI = 470RWHP
Rallyman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Do the green stuff pads have the rollerskates on them?
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
I don't think any aftermarket pads have the roller skates.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I am always the crumedgeon in thse threads. Just as there are no magical bean stalk seeds, there is no such thing as a pad that creates less dust and stops the same as the OEM pads that were on your Camaro at delivery. Brake dust is created from the friction between the pad and the rotor when you brake. The dust is part pad and part rotor. The less dust there is the less friction there is. The less friction there is the less braking there is.

Maybe I have been too polite in explaining this in brake squeal and brake dust threads since the 5th was released in 2009. Please don't think my frustrations are in any way related to the OP. They are related to the 100s or 1,000s of posts from people that say their new aftermarket pads stop better with less dust and less noise. This is my not politically correct or polite reply.

The OEM pads that delivered with your SS are a great combination of street and light track use. They will haul you axx down from triple digit speeds and stop your 5th Gen in a shorter distance than the whatever brand less noise less dust pad. Performance brakes make noise. Period end of story. Anyone that tells you different is handing you more

The only reason to deviate from the OEM SS, ZL1 or 1LE pads is for a Hardcore Track Pads. I am a huge fan of Cobal Friction XR1 front and XR3 rear pads for the SS or 1LE. With the CTS-V or ZL1 front 6 pots XR1 front and XR2 rear are my choice. If you think your OEM pads make noise, there are dead silent by comparison. If you think your OE pads are dusty or dirty you'll think they were made by Mr. Clean after a 10 minute drive on the CF XR pads.

I understand what a pain in the neck the brake dust is and how hard it is to keep them clean. There isn't much you can do about that as a 5th Gen owner. The noise is something you can learn to appreciate. Just like the growl of a V8 is music to your ears, think of the brake noise the same way. I love pulling into a parking lot at a car show and watching people cringe because they think my brakes are bad I also love pulling into the pit area for an autocross of track day and watching the people that know smile when I brake.

Sorry for the rant. The thread may return to the regularly scheduled discussion, in a cloud of brake dust

Last edited by JusticePete; 12-21-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typos
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
I feel like you've been holding that back for quite some time haha
Old 12-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
I think I might have read that a couple times before somewhere. LOL
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
z28racer

Drives: 12 SIM 2SS/ RS Sinergy M6,GMC2500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I am always the crumedgeon in thse threads. Just as there are no magical bean stalk seeds, there is no such thing as a pad that creates less dust and stops the same as the OEM pads that were on your Camaro at delivery. Brake dust is created from the friction between the pad and the rotor when you brake. The dust is part pad and part rotor. The less dust there is the less friction there is. The less friction there is the less braking there is.

Maybe I have been too polite in explaining this in brake squeal and brake dust threads since the 5th was released in 2009. Please don't think my frustrations are in any way related to the OP. They are related to the 100s or 1,000s of posts from people that say their new aftermarket pads stop better with less dust and less noise. This is my not politically correct or polite reply.

The OEM pads that delivered with your SS are a great combination of street and light track use. They will haul you axx down from triple digit speeds and stop your 5th Gen in a shorter distance than the whatever brand less noise less dust pad. Performance brakes make noise. Period end of story. Anyone that tells you different is handing you more

The only reason to deviate from the OEM SS, ZL1 or 1LE pads is for a Hardcore Track Pads. I am a huge fan of Cobal Friction XR1 front and XR3 rear pads for the SS or 1LE. With the CTS-V or ZL1 front 6 pots XR1 front and XR2 rear are my choice. If you think your OEM pads make noise, there are dead silent by comparison. If you think your OE pads are dusty or dirty you'll think they were made by Mr. Clean after a 10 minute drive on the CF XR pads.

I understand what a pain in the neck the brake dust is and how hard it is to keep them clean. There isn't much you can do about that as a 5th Gen owner. The noise is something you can learn to appreciate. Just like the growl of a V8 is music to your ears, think of the brake noise the same way. I love pulling into a parking lot at a car show and watching people cringe because they think my brakes are bad I also love pulling into the pit area for an autocross of track day and watching the people that know smile when I brake.

Sorry for the rant. The thread may return to the regularly scheduled discussion, in a cloud of brake dust
Let it all out!!! Bet you feel better now.
z28racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
camarostar2010

Drives: 2011 SS
Well thank you all for the replies. PETE I love your candor. And yes I can say its almost impossibke to have better performance and less dust. IN vain hope I still search for a close compromise.....but truth be told the hawk pads seem to make just as much dust but in a lighter color...less black. They dont stop better then stock...and they shreek like a deisel loco with 1000 box cars. I think I might try the ebc and if that doesnt work....well i guess i will go stock again....thanks again for the replies friends.
camarostar2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28racer View Post
Let it all out!!! Bet you feel better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarostar2010 View Post
Well thank you all for the replies. PETE I love your candor. And yes I can say its almost impossibke to have better performance and less dust. IN vain hope I still search for a close compromise.....but truth be told the hawk pads seem to make just as much dust but in a lighter color...less black. They dont stop better then stock...and they shreek like a deisel loco with 1000 box cars. I think I might try the ebc and if that doesnt work....well i guess i will go stock again....thanks again for the replies friends.

Merry Christmas All!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote