Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
DIY Remove trans and clutch ls3 help

Hey getting ready to swap out my clutch and looking for a little help or tips to get the job done. It's going to be done at home on jack stands. There were a few helpful threads but not a complete in depth DIY I could find. I have a couple questions/thoughts for anyone who has done the job and any tips and tricks are certainly welcome

Will any specialty tools be needed?
Do I need to drain the trans fluid completely beforehand?
Do I need to completely remove the entire drive shaft from diff as well?
The shifter can be unbolted from under the car just the one slide pin I believe?
Should I unbolt the trans from bellhousing first than unbolt bellhousing to remove clutch or remove as entire trans with bellhousing still connected?
Is a breaker bar on crank pulley best way to hold motor when removing clutch bolts?

Any other thoughts/tips welcome, thanks
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Will any specialty tools be needed?
No, regular tools in metric sizes (or if you know the SAE equivalent)
Do I need to drain the trans fluid completely beforehand?
I would. It will be less messy that way. There are two lines running from the trans to the radiator. Unhook them from the trans and secure them out of the way.
Do I need to completely remove the entire drive shaft from diff as well?
Undo the carrier barrier from the body (the middle support of the driveshaft). This will allow the driveshaft to be removed from the trans. You don't need to undo the driveshaft from the rearend.
The shifter can be unbolted from under the car just the one slide pin I believe?
There are two shifter legs that will need to be undone as well. Each one has a pin to remove.
Should I unbolt the trans from bellhousing first than unbolt bellhousing to remove clutch or remove as entire trans with bellhousing still connected?
The bellhousings on our TR6060s (in stock form) are integral. You cannot unbolt the trans from the bellhousing.
Is a breaker bar on crank pulley best way to hold motor when removing clutch bolts?
You can get a flywheel locking tool. I used a screwdriver wedged amongst the flywheel teeth to hold it in place when undoing them. If you have an air compressor and an impact gun, use it to ONLY UNDO the bolts, don't reinstall them with the impact gun.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #3
fif_gen_powa

blake-b you're the man, thank you very much

I did purchase a cheap slide hammer from harbor freight I was told I'd need it for the pilot bearing and was told I need about 4' of extensions to reach the bellhousing bolts as well
Old 05-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
You're welcome.

I don't remember needing an extension nearly that long. The top bolt will be TOUGH to get to. The one on either side of it that are slightly lower will be a little easier. For the top bolt, you can make it easy (easier) on yourself by removing your intake manifold. Regardless, I remember only being able to get to it from the top but it has been awhile since I installed mine the last time. This time, I had need to pull the engine so they came out as one piece and they'll be going back in as one piece.

If you have one of those ratcheting wrenches, they will help tremendously on the top three bolts. If you don't, go get one.

I forgot about the pilot bearing..
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
blue-bayou

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS/Stick
Not necessarily a specialty tool, but a pick set came in handy for me to remove the clips holding the hydraulic lines in place. Also, if you have to pull the transmission completely out from under the car, you will need to get the car up really high due to integral bellhousing with transmission

And its really heavy and hurts when it falls on you

Last edited by blue-bayou; 05-13-2015 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Additional thought
blue-bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
fif_gen_powa

blake - yeah I though 4' seemed a little excessive but anyways I got a couple feet of extensions. I do have a nice set of ratcheting wrenches they are a life savor. thanks

blue-bayou - I do have a small pick set for the clamps on the lines, thanks. Also using a transmission jack to do the lifting for me and I have a set of jack stands that will go well over 20"+
Old 05-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
fif_gen_powa

Removing the drive shaft from the trans I remove the 3 bolts on the driveshaft side of the rubber piece not the ones on the trans side right? Any idea what size torx bit I need I think my biggest is t50
Old 05-15-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
MA2010SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I think that bit is T55...sears is where I got mine
2010 Camaro SS Whipple SC, CAI Inc Intake, TSP 1 7/8" LT headers no cats, 3" magnaflow exhaust, HPT, RX Catch Can, LSR Toe Rods, LSR Trailing Arms, ALKY Control Meth, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.73 ZL1 Differential Kit, BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam, Tuned by SLOWHAWK Performance Bridgewater MA
MA2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote