Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
kryologik

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
New member seeking kit advice!

Hey all,

I'm currently waiting for my 2SS to arrive, and am doing a little research on boosting my ride. My previous car was an 08' Mustang GT with a Hellion Powersystems turbo kit, and I did a lotttt of work to that car. I'm looking to kinda do the same with the Camaro, but I don't know much about what's available for it.

I've seen the Procharger/Vortech/Kenne Bell kits but to be honest, I'm more into turbo kits. Are there any good turbo kits available for the Camaro? I've been trying to find some, but it doesn't look like there are as many products available for the Camaro as there were for my Mustang.

It'd be a big plus if it looked really nice under the hood too, as a comparison photo, this is a pic of my stang:

Thanks in advance for all the help!

kryologik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
sts twin turbo and ther eare a couple otehrs that make some sick power

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
kryologik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
sts twin turbo and ther eare a couple otehrs that make some sick power

Yeah, I've seen the STS kit before.. I'm not too crazy about having my turbos right where my exhaust pipes are.. What about water/sand/regular road crap? I think something under the hood would make me feel a lot more comfortable, hehe
Old 01-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Geneus

Drives: 2003 Z06
Check with TTx...their twin turbo application seems to be popular with the Corvette crowd. They might have/may have an application for the Camaro.
Geneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
east TX Muscle cars

Drives: 2x 05 Vettes/65'AC cobra/68 camaro
We sell the STS kit, there are a few others out there too, You left out the Magnachargers we sell and install a TON of them! great power!
east TX Muscle cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I also would say that you would be happy with the STS kit. They back up their products, and to be honest, i would not worry about teh road grime etc...
They offer protection for the turbos and for the filters, and they back everything up with a great warranty.

I also carry all of the supercharger systems... If you are looking for more info or pricing, feel free to PM me, i would be happy to help.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
There several Single Turbo kits are out there for Camaro. I sent email to Hellion about Camaro and never got reply back. Do some search and you'll see info and pics.
Turbonetics is also releasing a commercial grade kit as well. Looks real nice.

I love turbos but as long as it was designed along with the engine to have the least amount of pipe for air to travel. Especially the hot side, should be as close to the exhaust manifold to get instant response take a look at these pics fron the new BMW turbo kit. See how short are all the pipes.
http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2011...d-convertible/

To me, that's a turbo kit. But in case of Camaro, there are just too many long pipes going on. If I were you, I wouldn't discount a good PD S/C. Nice and clean and no heat under the hood to mess up the paint and all the rubbers and wires.

Good Luck!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
STRUT1

Drives: '10 STRUT Camaro SS/RS
I spoke with STS directly and I like how they operate. They are very professional, attentive, and have great accolades. When and if I decide to upgrade to a supercharger or turbo system, I'm definitely going with the STS Twin Turbo System for the '10 Camaro. Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryologik View Post
Hey all,

I'm currently waiting for my 2SS to arrive, and am doing a little research on boosting my ride. My previous car was an 08' Mustang GT with a Hellion Powersystems turbo kit, and I did a lotttt of work to that car. I'm looking to kinda do the same with the Camaro, but I don't know much about what's available for it.

I've seen the Procharger/Vortech/Kenne Bell kits but to be honest, I'm more into turbo kits. Are there any good turbo kits available for the Camaro? I've been trying to find some, but it doesn't look like there are as many products available for the Camaro as there were for my Mustang.

It'd be a big plus if it looked really nice under the hood too, as a comparison photo, this is a pic of my stang:

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Depending on how much you are looking to pay .. I say pull the engine and rebuild with lower compression and forged parts to make it more boost friendly. Then get yourself a magnacharger, KB, or Whipple and go with about 17 lbs of boost .. I'm guessing that in conjunction with the 6.2L LS3 will get you where you want to go and it will look great on top of it

Crowley
Old 01-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
kryologik

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I think I'm most likely going to go Procharger with the D1 upgrade so that it's nice and loud. As far as building the motor, it'll have to wait a while -- I have a ton of Mustang parts that I need to sell.. lol.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
STRUT1

Drives: '10 STRUT Camaro SS/RS
Good luck with your project. I was about to purchase the STS Turbo Kit until the wife killed my plans as she thinks it will yield too many tickets on my daily commute =)
Old 01-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUT1 View Post
Good luck with your project. I was about to purchase the STS Turbo Kit until the wife killed my plans as she thinks it will yield too many tickets on my daily commute =)
And she thinks you won't get ticket with a 425 HP N/A V8 Camaro?
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
kryologik

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUT1 View Post

Knock on wood man, I haven't had a speeding ticket in a couple of years. I credit it to my Valentine radar detector though.. it's helped me avoid cops like crazy.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:58 AM   #14
Pope Designs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Rally Yellow
ProCharger sounds like an excellent choice ;0)

What good is all that bottom end power when you can't hook up?

I LOVE my PC!
Pope Designs is offline   Reply With Quote