Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest

Old 07-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #15
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
That was a nicer way of my saying "Don't bullshit the guy moving to the States". Because it really is...just bullshit. I'll explain:

1) "Roads are turning into shit everywhere". No not really. In the USA each state- and even town or city- has their hand in this, in addition to 'Federally' funded roadways. I'll give you an example: In a town near me you can see were the town line is plainly. There's a road that goes through both towns. In one town, the road is perfect. As soon as the road goes to the next town, the very same road is crap. One town paid to fix their part of the road; the other didn't. There is literally a line cross the road where the new gorgeous pavement ends. Another example: I drive to New Hampshire- all the roads I drive on are in great shape. I'm sure there are crummy ones there, I just don't ever see them.

2) Our Government gives all our money that we citizens are taxed for on gas etc. for keeping the roads nice and giving it to other countries. I fully agree that the gas tax money is mis-appropriated. But to suggest there is simply a "USA gas tax" is wrong. "Mis-appropriated" doesn't mean "sent to other countries". The States and even local communities have a say too. I picked Illinois as an example, click this link: http://www.illinoisgasprices.com/USA_Tax_Map.aspx . It's not true that The Federal Gov and the State Govs bundle up the gas tax dough and ship it off to foreign lands. That's just talk from a guy who is fed up with our problems. Look at California for example. CA is well known to have money problems. 71.29 cents tax per gallon?! Doesn't seem likely that CA's share of that money will go overseas. They probably want it to balance their checkbook. CA residents should be pissed off.

3) Bridges we have to travel on are on your own risk, They can collapse anytime. Saying that highway infrastructure in say, Nevada is in the same condition as for example Connecticut, is simply outrageous. Firstly, not all bridges are the same age and not all of them are rated for the same weight and not all bridges see the same volume of traffic. Secondly, there is nothing like "travel at your own risk", which is the text from warning signs by the side of the road, that has been instituted on a Federal level. It is simply hogwash. I cannot say that all bridges are in great shape, our highway infrastructure is at the age of needing repair. Roadwork is constantly being done in my state to repair bridges. It takes too long- hell we crossed the Rhine with no problems, right? but it's being done. The statement made is an overstatement.

4) pot holes are huge , and no plans to fix any of it. More hyperbolic frustration. Some potholes are a half inch deep. Some are a foot. This statement makes it sound like roads 'in the USA' are a lunar landscape. It ain't so. Each town and State does things their own way, and Uncle Sam does things his way. There's plenty of "plans to fix it". In fact we see this routinely- a State paves a road. Beautifully, too. Then next year it gets dug up to install new water mains. The road gets patched. Then in two more years a homeowner gets a sewer hookup and it gets dug up, again. The road gets patched again. While we might like the State to come back in and re-pave it so its beautiful again, it's not a reasonable expectation. Go over the George Washington Bridge in New York (actually, don't). Then go over the Zakim Bridge in Boston. Different experiences.

5) because our Government representatives are too busy feuding about stuff we Americans dont care about.
While I'd say that's a generally accurate thing, it suggests that "roads suck" because of Washington D.C.. Let me tell you, President Obama has nothing to do with debate concerning a high-traffic bridge that gets too much load placed on it in Readville Massachusetts.

Oh Please , I wont even breakdown your breakdown on my 15 second opinion. Everyone knows the infrastructure has been in decay for decades now , And there is no plan to fix them currently . And i am not blaming President Obama solely , It takes 2 to tangle and boy do they tangle ,to a stalemate ,nuf said
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #16
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Oh come on. You know that the municipal funds of Dogpatch Iowa are not spent the same way or in the same percentage as Buttcrack Wyoming. And you know that when you say "US Government" you mean the Federal Government.

Look just at your take on gas tax. Actually look into it. You're taking your frustrations, mixing in your guesses, and offering it as advice. If somebody else does that, you don't call it "bullshit"? Stop.

FYI: it's "two to tango". The dance.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #17
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Thanks Chris for clearing that up a bit more! I'm not too worried about this overall,, as I said, Im not moving to ND for driving! Just a means to an end.

Obviously every part of the world will have their own share of problems, a few potholes and crumbling bridges (Lol I picture some sort of Looney Tunes scene with Wily Coyote thinking about this) won't deter me from the feeling I need to get out of AB...
CocoaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #18
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Oh come on. You know that the municipal funds of Dogpatch Iowa are not spent the same way or in the same percentage as Buttcrack Wyoming. And you know that when you say "US Government" you mean the Federal Government.

Look just at your take on gas tax. Actually look into it. You're taking your frustrations, mixing in your guesses, and offering it as advice. If somebody else does that, you don't call it "bullshit"? Stop.

FYI: it's "two to tango". The dance.
Tango , tangle bangle bongo . Ok you got me on that, But here is a link for you to brush up on what is happening We currently have a D+ rating with $3.6 TRILLION NEEDED BY 2020 Thats just 5 years away www.infrastructurereportcard.org and another link https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...Dba8Fe4ra-qvaM https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...2ZX00-_DY4lbqwwww.nytimes.com/.../aging-bridge-behind-him-obam...

Last edited by MBS; 07-12-2014 at 10:20 AM.
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #19
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
Tango , tangle bangle bongo . Ok you got me on that, But here is a link for you to brush up on what is happening We currently have a D+ rating with $3.6 TRILLION NEEDED BY 2020 Thats just 5 years away www.infrastructurereportcard.org and another link https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...Dba8Fe4ra-qvaM https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...2ZX00-_DY4lbqwwww.nytimes.com/.../aging-bridge-behind-him-obam...
Lol well if the government can just keep out of another war for the next couple years...
Old 07-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
CocoaKid...if you are earning more, good benefits, just enjoy the experience while you are free to move around. I have lived in about a dozen states, east coast to west coast, and every state is a little different.
Besides the US, as a kid lived in Japan & Germany. As an adult also lived in Qatar and moved to Canada in 2003 from my home in Dallas. If I can adjust to the climate & culture shock moving from Dallas / Doha / back to Dallas /Ottawa in one decade think you will also adjust.
I moved from the US to Canada for similar reasons you are now moving from Canada to the USA (much better income and benefits). Just review in advance the documents you need at the USA border to move into the US, you are not entering as a visitor so have your work permits and all documents in order when you cross the border. Check USA government websites regarding importing your auto. Most likely, just like in Canada, you will have 30 days to register / import your auto to ND and get ND insurance. So do your web research in advance so you won't get hung up at the border crossing.
When I moved to Canada Aug. 2003, thought all my paperwork was in order. Had documents from my Canada employer, paperwork on acceptable house plants, paperwork for my cats, paperwork on my electronics (TV, music system, etc.). Canada turned me back at the border because the letter from my employer stated I was offered the job, not that I was hired. 15 mins. later east coast Blackout. I was stranded in Michigan for two weeks, U-Haul trailer and 5 cats for two weeks before employer could get correct "worded" paperwork to border crossing.
Just get your paperwork in order in advance, no problem.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #21
unit406

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Live about an hour away from Williston (in MT). There is a lot of road work going on over there now and a ton of oil traffic, which is to be expected. Hope you don't mind a dirty car because it'll definitely be covered in dust/dirt/grime in no time. If I have to drive over there I leave the Camaro at home and take the Mazda. I guess it really isn't THAT bad though and you should be fine. I haven't had the Camaro in a winter over here yet so not sure how it'll go. The last few winters have been pretty mild to be honest. We had virtually no snow last winter, it was just cold for a long ass time.
unit406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:01 AM   #22
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaucom21 View Post
CocoaKid...if you are earning more, good benefits, just enjoy the experience while you are free to move around. I have lived in about a dozen states, east coast to west coast, and every state is a little different.
Besides the US, as a kid lived in Japan & Germany. As an adult also lived in Qatar and moved to Canada in 2003 from my home in Dallas. If I can adjust to the climate & culture shock moving from Dallas / Doha / back to Dallas /Ottawa in one decade think you will also adjust.
I moved from the US to Canada for similar reasons you are now moving from Canada to the USA (much better income and benefits). Just review in advance the documents you need at the USA border to move into the US, you are not entering as a visitor so have your work permits and all documents in order when you cross the border. Check USA government websites regarding importing your auto. Most likely, just like in Canada, you will have 30 days to register / import your auto to ND and get ND insurance. So do your web research in advance so you won't get hung up at the border crossing.
When I moved to Canada Aug. 2003, thought all my paperwork was in order. Had documents from my Canada employer, paperwork on acceptable house plants, paperwork for my cats, paperwork on my electronics (TV, music system, etc.). Canada turned me back at the border because the letter from my employer stated I was offered the job, not that I was hired. 15 mins. later east coast Blackout. I was stranded in Michigan for two weeks, U-Haul trailer and 5 cats for two weeks before employer could get correct "worded" paperwork to border crossing.
Just get your paperwork in order in advance, no problem.
Thank you for the solid advice. This is where i think Lady luck is really on my side, I have dual citizenship! I should have work lined up already when I go down (my friend is going to get me hired on with his company, at least thats the plan

I'll keep that in mind though, I think having a letter of employment will make it that much easier getting across. The climate won't be too bad for me, Im coming from Alberta Canada and it is not a warm place in the winter... My biggest concern right now is finding somewhere to live
Old 07-14-2014, 01:04 AM   #23
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit406 View Post
Live about an hour away from Williston (in MT). There is a lot of road work going on over there now and a ton of oil traffic, which is to be expected. Hope you don't mind a dirty car because it'll definitely be covered in dust/dirt/grime in no time. If I have to drive over there I leave the Camaro at home and take the Mazda. I guess it really isn't THAT bad though and you should be fine. I haven't had the Camaro in a winter over here yet so not sure how it'll go. The last few winters have been pretty mild to be honest. We had virtually no snow last winter, it was just cold for a long ass time.
Thank you! Unfortunately I know my car is going to face some tough stuff, but I'm going to do my best to keep it in good shape. Like I said, this is going to be a means to the end and I don't have a lot of options where I am right now. IF I can rent a room in Williston, I won't have too much driving (provided things go as planned)
Old 08-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #24
concrete jungle
Hitman

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I'll be joining you most likely in the next few months.

Build your dream one day at a time . . . I did . . .
https://www.facebook.com/tonyrowe1966

*Caution ~ side effects may include soiled underwear if trajectory isn't kept straight...
concrete jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #25
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jungle View Post
I'll be joining you most likely in the next few months.
I've been down here for almost a month now, so far I'm liking it. Got a job making pretty good coin---> From the comments on this thread: Roads are NOT bad at all, virtually every road is new as they've had to haul a$$ keeping up with growth. Traffic can be slow in Williston but highways are good if you're willing (and eager) to pass the many, many semis lol. That said, prepare for some rock chips in your windshield. Went a year and a half back in Alberta without one and now have two in my first month here. No biggie though, I'm making enough a new windshield is a laughing matter. The Highway 2 that Williston sits on (goes west through Montana and east to Minot ND) is fairly boring, but when you head south past Watford City and around New Town, it gets really neat. Lots of curves, big hills, etc, its fun. Not as good as the mountains, but you can see for miles most of the time so you can figure out where to rip and where to keep it tame.

All the best to you, shoot me a message when you get in (if you do!)
Old 11-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #26
concrete jungle
Hitman

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
We bought a house in Dickinson, North Dakota and will be there on November 20th.

Hope to meet up with you.

Build your dream one day at a time . . . I did . . .
https://www.facebook.com/tonyrowe1966

*Caution ~ side effects may include soiled underwear if trajectory isn't kept straight...
concrete jungle is offline   Reply With Quote