Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Shutter when coming to a stop in Manual Mode (A8)

Hey all,

Been a while since I posted here. Re-assurance that I am not the only one needed here.

So ever since the 2nd or 3rd month ive had my car (1LT I4 2.0) when i am coming to a stop sign, light, etc. and downshift into 2nd gear, the car sort of shutters/lurches when slowing down to a stop in 2nd gear in manual mode. This does not happen in Auto mode.

It is really quite annoying and i have been avoiding downshifting past 3rd gear just because this happens. It happens every time. Also if I am in 2nd gear and rolling through a stop sign () and hit the gas after this shutter/lurch happens, the car lurches forward. It kind of feels like the car is being bumped forward 2 or 3 times until i get above 2500 or 3000 rpm.

SO! 1st question... Does this have anything to do with my AM CAI?
2nd question... has anyone else had this problem or anything like it (I know there are other threads similar but none seemed to have the exact same issue)?
3rd question... WTF is wrong with the dark knight?!

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
Riker

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Mine does this as well. What I have learned is a couple things. When in Drive, the car stays in 3rd all the way till about 1mph, and then it drops to 1st. So if you want the smoothest stop in manual mode, down shift until you get to 3rd and just come to a stop, the car will drop to 1st for you.

The second thing I learned is the lockup clutch disconnects at 1600rpm. I have noticed that if I am in 3rd, and shift to 2nd just below 1600rpm, that is where most of the "jerking" occurs. I think this is because you feel some movement as you drop below 1600rpm and the lockup releases, then you go to 2nd which re-engages the lockup clutch because you are above 1600rpm again, but then it releases soon after because you drop back below 1600rpm as you are coming to a stop.

If you down shift a lot earlier, you avoid the jerk. So I shift a lot earlier into 2nd, say 2-2.5k, and then again at 2-2.5k into first for a more "sporty" stop. Or, if wanting to come to a more smooth and calm stop, I leave it in 3rd.

Now, this is for my SS/V8. Your lurching is because you have a 4cyl turbo. They thrive on higher revs because the turbos aren't spun up much at low RPM. When I had my Acura RSX and Scion FRS, it was all about higher revs. 2.5k+ was where power really lived, and those cars weigh much less than even your lighter 4cly turbo, almost 800 pounds less.

I am not sure when the 8L45 (your auto tranny) does it's 3-1 down shift, but I am guessing it does is a little sooner due to the lack of torque at sub 2k RPM.

Rev the shit outta the turbo! Its all about mid range with those.
TRBTXD
8/9/16 - 2000 - New order placed
8/10/16 - 3000
~8/16/16 - 3400
9/20/16 - 6000 Delivered to Customer (That's me)
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
ponch333

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknightkamaro View Post
Hey all,

Been a while since I posted here. Re-assurance that I am not the only one needed here.

So ever since the 2nd or 3rd month ive had my car (1LT I4 2.0) when i am coming to a stop sign, light, etc. and downshift into 2nd gear, the car sort of shutters/lurches when slowing down to a stop in 2nd gear in manual mode. This does not happen in Auto mode.

It is really quite annoying and i have been avoiding downshifting past 3rd gear just because this happens. It happens every time. Also if I am in 2nd gear and rolling through a stop sign () and hit the gas after this shutter/lurch happens, the car lurches forward. It kind of feels like the car is being bumped forward 2 or 3 times until i get above 2500 or 3000 rpm.

SO! 1st question... Does this have anything to do with my AM CAI?
2nd question... has anyone else had this problem or anything like it (I know there are other threads similar but none seemed to have the exact same issue)?
3rd question... WTF is wrong with the dark knight?!
I have the 4 cylinder turbo with the A8 and have the same problem. Happens intermittently I could go a week or two without it happening and then like today it happens. When slowing to a stop in auto mode and almost stopped the transmission shudders. When I flipped the shifter over to manual when I'm at a stop after the shutter indicator shows 3rd gear so when I try to leave from a stop and it's in 3rd gear it barely moves so I manually downshift to First and with a clunk it takes off. Took it to the dealer and of course could not duplicate the problem. If you ever get a diagnosis please let me know what it is and I'll try to do the same.
ponch333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
Kamaro223
Kamaro223

Drives: 2016 RS/LT Camaros
I've been having issues with my 1LT/RS 4T A8 transmission too. The first 1-2 shift in the morning and after work (cold) hold and jerks intermittently. I also have an intermittent "bump from behind" around 17 mph when coasting to a stop. I rode with a tech and he said it was "normal" and that was the "coasting algorithm"...I almost ended up drowning in his bs by the time I got back to the dealership. I've driven one other Camaro and it didn't do this at all. I am very in tune with this "feel" and over 1,000 miles of driving in a rental for work, it didn't do this at all. The dealer won't do anything for me.

I haven't had the shudder at a stop light but under low load (1300-1500 rpm) a slight increase in throttle will not downshift and I get a little bit of a shudder...just like if I didn't downshift in a manual.

If you figure anything out please post. I'm fed up with this car (there are other things) and the "that's normal" diagnotics for all the issues I have and will be trading if it doesn't get resolved. I will not be trading for another Chevy or GM vehicle either.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #5
whiskeyfed
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaro223 View Post
I've been having issues with my 1LT/RS 4T A8 transmission too. The first 1-2 shift in the morning and after work (cold) hold and jerks intermittently. I also have an intermittent "bump from behind" around 17 mph when coasting to a stop. I rode with a tech and he said it was "normal" and that was the "coasting algorithm"...I almost ended up drowning in his bs by the time I got back to the dealership. I've driven one other Camaro and it didn't do this at all. I am very in tune with this "feel" and over 1,000 miles of driving in a rental for work, it didn't do this at all. The dealer won't do anything for me.

I haven't had the shudder at a stop light but under low load (1300-1500 rpm) a slight increase in throttle will not downshift and I get a little bit of a shudder...just like if I didn't downshift in a manual.

If you figure anything out please post. I'm fed up with this car (there are other things) and the "that's normal" diagnotics for all the issues I have and will be trading if it doesn't get resolved. I will not be trading for another Chevy or GM vehicle either.
I have noticed the "jerky" shift from 1-2 off a cold start. I have just gotten used to it. If this is normal, then GM and my dealer have some serious explaining to do. I can deal with the start up shift, whatever... but this shutter when stopping and starting in 2nd gear is unacceptable. This car (especially the I4 turbo) is supposed to have been a groundbreaking platform and finding these issues, is somewhat disconcerting.

As I am replying I dont remember who said what, but the turbo kick in with the clutch comment makes sense. HOWEVER! it doesn't make it okay for GM to say that it is "normal," because it is clearly not. I am calling shenanigans on that one. If it was a seatbelt rattle and I was GM, i'd say F you too; but this issue is having somewhat serious implications on the everyday drivability of the car. I am going to give my dealer a call this week to see what we can do about it.

Also, just so I don't run into warranty issues (i don't need the schpiel about voiding warranties and cheating dealers with removing bolt-ons, etc.) I have a AM Injen CAI installed. To those of you who are having issues, are you stock?

Thanks so much everyone.

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 04-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #6
ponch333

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknightkamaro View Post
I have noticed the "jerky" shift from 1-2 off a cold start. I have just gotten used to it. If this is normal, then GM and my dealer have some serious explaining to do. I can deal with the start up shift, whatever... but this shutter when stopping and starting in 2nd gear is unacceptable. This car (especially the I4 turbo) is supposed to have been a groundbreaking platform and finding these issues, is somewhat disconcerting.

As I am replying I dont remember who said what, but the turbo kick in with the clutch comment makes sense. HOWEVER! it doesn't make it okay for GM to say that it is "normal," because it is clearly not. I am calling shenanigans on that one. If it was a seatbelt rattle and I was GM, i'd say F you too; but this issue is having somewhat serious implications on the everyday drivability of the car. I am going to give my dealer a call this week to see what we can do about it.

Also, just so I don't run into warranty issues (i don't need the schpiel about voiding warranties and cheating dealers with removing bolt-ons, etc.) I have a AM Injen CAI installed. To those of you who are having issues, are you stock?

Thanks so much everyone.
Yes I'm stock not taking any chances til the bugs are worked out of this thing. I bought this thing new with 120 miles on it. I had to have the dealer replace three of the four tires due to noise and vibration. I guess from sitting so long at the lot. Also, I have some nocking/ rattiling noise going on in the pass side rear.. Hope fully I can figure it out and avoid the dealership.
ponch333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
Kamaro223
Kamaro223

Drives: 2016 RS/LT Camaros
I felt the shudder when I pulled into the gym parking lot last night. Any new developments on what is wrong with these pieces of junk we own?

Also, now that it's "hot" outside, I have a whole new set of rattles in the headliner area of the convertible behind the windshield. The car seems to have the least rattles around 60°. Any colder and the dash, doors and trunk rattle. Any hotter and the top rattles. Oh what fun...not really actually!
Old 04-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #8
whiskeyfed
Pat

Could not get an appointment due to my work and coaching schedule. It is still happening consistently. I am starting to think that it has something to do with the automatic transmission "going into neutral" for lack of a better phrase. As I slow down, it feels like the TM slips out of 2nd but does not shift. I have been adapting to not really shift into 2nd and leave it in 3rd when i am coming to a stop.

All i can say is, oh well? it sucks and I am disappointed but i have a strange feeling that when i bring it to the dealer, they are going to hit me with the somewhat infamous GM line... "that is normal."

Will keep updated.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Tuned by #danytechtuning
Old 04-25-2017, 04:58 PM   #9
trukgirl

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Conv, 2015 Silverado CC
Send a message via Yahoo to trukgirl
I have the turbo 2.0 and I've been having the same type of problem in second gear, manual or auto. If I don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign, it is like the transmission won't go back into gear until I'm halfway through the intersection. It also shifts very hard in and out of 2nd. Jerky. I have 2800m and have already developed a habit to just anticipate the hard shift as I'm going up and down. Ridiculous.

It has also randomly died on me twice at a stoplight! After sitting and then taking my foot off the brake to go. The people behind me both times probably thought I was driving a stick and killed it, and its not even a stick. (Not that it has any bearing on it, but both times the top was down so it was extra embarrassing because I wasn't hiding behind my tinted windows LOL)

I already took it to the dealer mostly because of the two random engine kills and because it didn't throw a code for either problem, I guess the only thing the mechanic could think of to put on the paper was "owner should know that the transmission will take time to shift since it is has 8 gears".... huh?? That has no bearing on it shifting super hard into and out of 2nd every time and then acting like its not even in gear! :P

ETA: Kamaro223 I have been noticing a lot more squeaks and rattles in the last few weeks as well towards the back of the top next to the back seat.

Past Camaros:
2012 1LT Silver Ice
1989 RS 305v8 Medium Maui Metallic Blue, T tops

Last edited by trukgirl; 04-25-2017 at 05:10 PM.
trukgirl is offline   Reply With Quote