Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #29
Aaron0731

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
Mine is only 8in X 10.5

Been the issue with finding a proper amp.
Kenwood Excelon 301-4. 75x4 RMS at 2ohm. Class D amp
Aaron0731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #30
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Have a jigsaw and $20? Lowe's/Home Depot sells 1/2" birch in 2'x2' sizes, a yard of carpet is $8 and 3M carpet adhesive another $12.
Lol yea. Just hoping the amp board I bought would suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron0731 View Post
Thanks for the advice. But I am going to need about 100wpc to drive the speakers properly.

Snoman, I found a class d Zapco amp with small deminsions.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EC...mFL&ref=plSrch
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #31
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Lol yea. Just hoping the amp board I bought would suffice.

Thanks for the advice. But I am going to need about 100wpc to drive the speakers properly.

Snoman, I found a class d Zapco amp with small deminsions.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EC...mFL&ref=plSrch

Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #32
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Sno, do you think I will need a noise filter with the Zapco ST-4D amp? I know some amps need one due to the FARK and hi level inputs. Also I am looking into those Kappa 6x9s that you recommended. As for the front component tweeters (Infinity Kappa 60.11CS), do you or anyone else know how much modification may be needed to mount properly? I know that they physically fit. Thanks!
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #33
beak81champ
ILSQ

Drives: '13 2SS/RS
Did you look at the Zapco ST104D BT amp? It does like 92 WPC and fits in the palm of your hand.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #34
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
Did you look at the Zapco ST104D BT amp? It does like 92 WPC and fits in the palm of your hand.
Not for use in the Camaro and most vehicles, that is a Bluetooth amplifier for use with cell phones and other streaming music players.

Quote:
Sno, do you think I will need a noise filter with the Zapco ST-4D amp? I know some amps need one due to the FARK and hi level inputs. Also I am looking into those Kappa 6x9s that you recommended. As for the front component tweeters (Infinity Kappa 60.11CS), do you or anyone else know how much modification may be needed to mount properly? I know that they physically fit. Thanks!
Noise filters are like $9 (Walmart/Frys/Electronic Store/Lowes?), pick one up and use it only if needed, then return it if not.

There is zero modification required, the speakers drop straight into the OEM housing. I will personally rewire the tweeters, but it is not advised as you can easily damage them by frying the voice coils through heat. If your good with solder, go for it though it's not necessary as the OEM wiring "will work".

Old 04-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #35
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
I have not. But, after reading your reply I looked it up. Nice size amp and power. I cannot find anything about it being 2ohm stable.

More to come.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #36
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:

That is a class A/B amplifier (not D)
Usable SNR is less than 80% (should never use or install anything less than 100dB THD @ 1w@1m (often times referred to as A-weighted).

Rated power is based off 14.4V (not 12). <--- This is the big one. This is common practice from companies like Kenwood/Sony/JVC and lower quality brands to purposefully inflate power output nearly 40%. Kenwood does not "over build" their amplifiers like "class II" manufactures do (ex. JL, Alpine, RF, etc). I'm basically saying Kenwood is lying through their teeth about "usable output", it's pure snake oil. While Class II amps are typically rated at 13.8v, nearly every single one is 'over built', producing rated output at 12.5v.

Entry level quality is barely above OEM, in fact it is so close in build quality that I recommend people spend their money elsewhere. Class II amplifiers are double the quality and usually come with lower cost per usable watt, increased dampening, better line noise cancellation features and more.

If you're going to purchase some parts and build something, most people want to get the best return of value they can for their hard earned dollar instead of lighting it on fire with a torch and throwing it away.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #37
Aaron0731

Quote:
That is a class A/B amplifier (not D)
Usable SNR is less than 80% (should never use or install anything less than 100dB THD @ 1w@1m (often times referred to as A-weighted).

Rated power is based off 14.4V (not 12). <--- This is the big one. This is common practice from companies like Kenwood/Sony/JVC and lower quality brands to purposefully inflate power output nearly 40%. Kenwood does not "over build" their amplifiers like "class II" manufactures do (ex. JL, Alpine, RF, etc). I'm basically saying Kenwood is lying through their teeth about "usable output", it's pure snake oil. While Class II amps are typically rated at 13.8v, nearly every single one is 'over built', producing rated output at 12.5v.

Entry level quality is barely above OEM, in fact it is so close in build quality that I recommend people spend their money elsewhere. Class II amplifiers are double the quality and usually come with lower cost per usable watt, increased dampening, better line noise cancellation features and more.

If you're going to purchase some parts and build something, most people want to get the best return of value they can for their hard earned dollar instead of lighting it on fire with a torch and throwing it away.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-snLGTU...on-X301-4.html

It's a class D amp. And a good one. The amp has been bench tested on YouTube and you can look up the facts before spewing non sense.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #38
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-snLGTU...on-X301-4.html

It's a class D amp. And a good one. The amp has been bench tested on YouTube and you can look up the facts before spewing non sense.
Ah, jokes Tuesday. I missed the memo, it's all good though. If you enjoy the amp then by all means, keep it, own it with pride and rock on. Coming from the perspective of any vehicle OEM amplifier, it absolutely owns, hands down. The entry level market is the only singular audience Kenwood has ever been successful marketing to for their amplifiers, ever. They are cheap entry level reliable no-nonsense quality you can trust. Kenwood makes some nice head units, but I will never certify one of their amps (and never have). They simply have never been able to meet the quality build standards set forth by available manufactures elsewhere for entry level amplifiers. Do your research, expand your mind and you just might discover the same, or don't. I know some of the techs at Crutchfield, be cautious what you quote from them. Especially when it comes to manufacture specs as they are most often wrong. They have some amazeballs articles and customer support however.

Per Kenwood user manual;
SNR A-weighted, CES-2006 compliance standards: 80db
Rated A/B Power output into 2 ohms @ 14.4v = 75w. Converted to 12.5v per the laws of physics (Ohm's law): 50w.
I won't even begin to get into the lack of quality build components, power rails, lack of balanced separated input stages and more.
Street price: $100-125

If anyone is seriously going entry level, the current leader in this arena is the PPI 900.4 and PPI 900.5 from Precision Power. Street prices of $165 and $190 respectively. The 900.4 was quality tested by SonicElectronix, along with massive public feedback for being the best entry level amp on the market. There is a another independent review from PASMAG HERE as well.

PPI 900.4:
SNR A-weighted, CES-2006 compliance standards: 82db
Rated Power output into 2 ohms @ 14.4v = 225w. Rated power into 2 ohms @ 12.0v: 150w.
Build quality: has a separated (built-in) pre-amp stage and dedicated output stage. Triple protection circuitry protecting amp and speakers and more
Street price: $150-165

Crutchfield actually wrote an excellent article about the difference between entry level amplifiers and quality -> HERE
Old 04-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #39
Aaron0731

Quote:
Ah, jokes Tuesday. I missed the memo, it's all good though. If you enjoy the amp then by all means, keep it, own it with pride and rock on. Coming from the perspective of any vehicle OEM amplifier, it absolutely owns, hands down. The entry level market is the only singular audience Kenwood has ever been successful marketing to for their amplifiers, ever. They are cheap entry level reliable no-nonsense quality you can trust. Kenwood makes some nice head units, but I will never certify one of their amps (and never have). They simply have never been able to meet the quality build standards set forth by available manufactures elsewhere for entry level amplifiers. Do your research, expand your mind and you just might discover the same, or don't. I know some of the techs at Crutchfield, be cautious what you quote from them. Especially when it comes to manufacture specs as they are most often wrong. They have some amazeballs articles and customer support however.

Per Kenwood user manual;
SNR A-weighted, CES-2006 compliance standards: 80db
Rated A/B Power output into 2 ohms @ 14.4v = 75w. Converted to 12.5v per the laws of physics (Ohm's law): 50w.
I won't even begin to get into the lack of quality build components, power rails, lack of balanced separated input stages and more.
Street price: $100-125

If anyone is seriously going entry level, the current leader in this arena is the PPI 900.4 and PPI 900.5 from Precision Power. Street prices of $165 and $190 respectively. The 900.4 was quality tested by SonicElectronix, along with massive public feedback for being the best entry level amp on the market. There is a another independent review from PASMAG HERE as well.

PPI 900.4:
SNR A-weighted, CES-2006 compliance standards: 82db
Rated Power output into 2 ohms @ 14.4v = 225w. Rated power into 2 ohms @ 12.0v: 150w.
Build quality: has a separated (built-in) pre-amp stage and dedicated output stage. Triple protection circuitry protecting amp and speakers and more
Street price: $150-165

Crutchfield actually wrote an excellent article about the difference between entry level amplifiers and quality -> HERE
Ahh. You have a buddy that works at Crutchfield and therefor my source can't be trusted. Got it. Well there's 15 other quality sources that comply. Check em out...
Old 04-18-2017, 03:40 PM   #40
Aaron0731

The entry level market is the only singular audience Kenwood has ever been successful marketing to for their amplifiers, ever. They are cheap entry level reliable no-nonsense quality you can trust. Kenwood makes some nice head units, but I will never certify one of their amps (and never have). They simply have never been able to meet the quality build standards set forth by available manufactures elsewhere for entry level amplifiers. Do your research, expand your mind

Anecdotes generally don't cut it on the internet. Do you have ANY sources for your claims?
If not I don't have anything else to say.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #41
Mudgett

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
Was planning on Infinity components. Got a few recommendations from a guy around here for amp brands. Researched. Ordered Zapco. Thanks for the info sno. Good lookin out.
Mudgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #42
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Anecdotes generally don't cut it on the internet. Do you have ANY sources for your claims?
If not I don't have anything else to say.
You're doing an awesome job defending Kenwood's quality and I agree they are reliable as a Ford Crown Victoria. They aren't the only proven reliable sedan on the market however, and this isn't the car industry. If you can't accept Kenwood has competition, you might have your eyes closed and you seem to be taking it personally, was never my intention.

I've already proven above there are better within the suggested entry level class range through third party links and price analysis. I also usually try to provide actual links to relevant information if possible so others can make their own decisions based on reliable information, instead of just the suppositions proposed by most. I even went to far as to provide you research material to help you understand why entry level electronics are so cheap.

If all someone has ever heard their entire life was an MP3 through an OEM system, entry level equipment will make you wet your pants it will sound so good. If you had ever heard SACD on Martin Logans, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I have over 30 years history within the field and I believe even a bit respected on the forums here for providing reliable proven information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudgett View Post
Was planning on Infinity components. Got a few recommendations from a guy around here for amp brands. Researched. Ordered Zapco. Thanks for the info sno. Good lookin out.
Most welcome!

Last edited by Snoman; 04-19-2017 at 08:18 AM.