Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 11-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
Guardian1816

Drives: Black w/ inferno orange 2LT
Local vehicle transactions

I am trying to buy a new or used Camaro, but I keep running into the same problem when I go to dealerships. They always come back with this information about what other cars in the area have sold for. I have also noticed that when I get the value of my own car on kbb.com it uses local transaction as a search criteria, so this information has to be out there and available. Where can I find this so I can use it to my advantage as opposed to getting beat in the head with it every time I go to a dealership?
Guardian1816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I like cargurus for that, tells you (great deal below, good deal below, fair deal below, fair deal above, or high price bove) market $$ and by how much. I also like how you check on the price changes for a particular vehicle and how long it's been for sale. Good info to have on your side

Last edited by nancygrl; 11-24-2017 at 10:32 AM.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian1816 View Post
I am trying to buy a new or used Camaro, but I keep running into the same problem when I go to dealerships. They always come back with this information about what other cars in the area have sold for. I have also noticed that when I get the value of my own car on kbb.com it uses local transaction as a search criteria, so this information has to be out there and available.
When I bought my used 2015 2LS, the dealer asking price was $18900. They had just dropped the price from $20,000.
I used the Cars.Com site to do a 250 mile search of a comparable car.
I found one for $17000. 250 miles away. Spitting image of the $18900 car I really wanted. Same color even. Similar miles.
Armed with this bit of knowledge, I went to the local dealer and looked the local car over, talked a little bit to the salesman, and left. Next day, my phone rang , for a followup, and I explained the situation. I would rather deal locally, but was willing to drive 250 miles to save myself 1900 dollars.
Salesman and his manager matched the price, over the phone, and I drove 1/2 hour away and bought the car. No trade in was involved to complicate the deal.

I've found 250 miles is about the farthest a dealer will dealer trade on a new car.
Apparently, 250 miles is within reach for that dealer to do a price match to sell a used one.

Also, I've found Auto Trader instant Offers and the like rather low when trading in. I have been successful in getting a good trade in value when the dealer is pressed on his end to sell, as in end of month,move a car thats been on the lot 60-90 days or more, or to sell to meet a goal.
Look to see what something comparable to your trade in is selling for online retail, then expect to get at least $4000 less.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote