Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #57
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Its nice to help someone out every once in a while, whether it's a necessity or not. Sometimes bad things happen to good people and there isn't any harm in helping if you want to.

My coworker died in a motorcycle wreck that was his own fault. We had two benefits for his family. One benefit was to help with the funeral expenses, then a few months later we had another one so his 4 year old kid could have a decent Christmas, that's right we donated so he could get toys and stuff and his Mom wouldn't have to stress over bills.
Not even comparable.
People lose the value of their mods when things break literally ALL of the time.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #58
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Based on some of the responses, it seems like some people have a challenge with the word "DONATION" and I can understand why. Normally when thinking "DONATIONS" it conjures up pictures of folks in dire straight, either from a health stand point, loss of home, loss of primary family income earner, etc..... So to use the word donation from something as unimportant in the scheme of things as a car, could be seen as ridiculous!!! And I can understand.

With that said, I don't see helping RJ out as collecting "DONATIONS" but, more along the lines of you inviting a friend out to lunch and he can't go because he either lost his lunch money, job, whatever, the reason it doesn't matter. It wouldn't be a big deal to buy the guy lunch because you value the friend more than you do the $5.00 and would want to be able to have the opportunity to hang together. The hell with the 5 bucks.

Yes, can RJ eventually replace the car? SURE!!! Thats not the point.

1. The point here as I see it is if you look at the guy's posts, many are him taking his time to help somebody else with advice, PERIOD.

2. Will the insurance money allow him to replace his car, NO! I'm in the insurance business and they are only insured for the value of the car at the time, PERIOD. Mods are not include because unless you wrote a policy with a "stated" agreed upon value. If not, they are going to pay you whatever the depreciated value of that car is. So if lets say you owe $20,000 on your car and the value of the car is $22,000. Well your only getting $2,000 regardless if you had $100,000 in mods and gold toilet seats.

3. In RJ's case, everybody who was familiar with his thread can see that he's worked hard, saving and scrimping like we all do to make his mods. You only are willing to do that if you have a love for your car.

So to see Kaylee go up in smoke its heart wrenching for any car guy. I personally get teary eye watching the show "overhauling" because I know how much passion went into the love for the car and seeing joy in people faces when it's being revealed. In most cases the owners have home, income, etc.. but that show is made up of several car guys doing something nice for another.

So I see this as an opportunity to get passed ourselves and as a community help someone else.

So just like we'll buy lunch for a buddy and not think anything of it, just so that we can hang. I am willing to help RJ in a small way because I want to see him back to modding and help him bridge the gap. The gratification of helping out a fellow Camaro enthusiast (especially a guy like RJ) get back on the road is worth more to me than the $5.00.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #59
Bornluckee13
I fly

Drives: 2010 2SS, Stick, Cyber Gray
Any idea on the cause? I would think fuel leak? Maybe electrical? Sucks man! Hate to see it happen but now you get to do it again! I would pull those rotors off btw, I'm sure they are still just fine. I'll send a buck or two your way, more if I get some heat treated rotors in the mail.....
There are only two options in life. Fight or flight. Most people run. Almost all people run. But not us. The difference between us and everyone else is that we run towards the gunfire. And that makes all the difference.
Bornluckee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #60
YellowL99

Drives: 2014 Yellow L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Based on some of the responses, it seems like some people have a challenge with the word "DONATION" and I can understand why. Normally when thinking "DONATIONS" it conjures up pictures of folks in dire straight, either from a health stand point, loss of home, loss of primary family income earner, etc..... So to use the word donation from something as unimportant in the scheme of things as a car, could be seen as ridiculous!!! And I can understand.

With that said, I don't see helping RJ out as collecting "DONATIONS" but, more along the lines of you inviting a friend out to lunch and he can't go because he either lost his lunch money, job, whatever, the reason it doesn't matter. It wouldn't be a big deal to buy the guy lunch because you value the friend more than you do the $5.00 and would want to be able to have the opportunity to hang together. The hell with the 5 bucks.

1. The point here as I see it is if you look at the guy's posts, many are him taking his time to help somebody else with advice, PERIOD.

2. Will the insurance money allow him to replace his car, NO! I'm in the insurance business and they are only insured for the value of the car at the time, PERIOD. Mods are not include because unless you wrote a policy with a "stated" agreed upon value. If not, they are going to pay you whatever the depreciated value of that car is. So if lets say you owe $20,000 on your car and the value of the car is $22,000. Well your only getting $2,000 regardless if you had $100,000 in mods and gold toilet seats.

3. In RJ's case, everybody who was familiar with his thread can see that he's worked hard, saving and scrimping like we all do to make his mods. You only are willing to do that if you have a love for your car.

So to see Kaylee go up in smoke its heart wrenching for any car guy. I personally get teary eye watching the show "overhauling" because I know how much passion went into the love for the car and seeing joy in people faces when it's being revealed. In most cases the owners have home, income, etc.. but that show is made up of several car guys doing something nice for another.

So I see this as an opportunity to get passed ourselves and as a community help someone else.

So just like we'll buy lunch for a buddy and not think anything of it, just so that we can hang. I am willing to help RJ in a small way because I want to see him back to modding and help him bridge the gap. The gratification of helping out a fellow Camaro enthusiast (especially a guy like RJ) get back on the road is worth more to me than the $5.00.
:c lap: always gotta help out a friend!
YellowL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #61
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Quote:
BEST explaination and outlook on this yet!

Quote:
Will the insurance money allow him to replace his car, NO! I'm in the insurance business and they are only insured for the value of the car at the time, PERIOD. Mods are not include because unless you wrote a policy with a "stated" agreed upon value. If not, they are going to pay you whatever the depreciated value of that car is. So if lets say you owe $20,000 on your car and the value of the car is $22,000. Well your only getting $2,000 regardless if you had $100,000 in mods and gold toilet seats.
Again DEAD ON! If you spend this kind of money on mods and don't have a Modified or Show Car policy then your asking for trouble.

http://www.carinsurancecomparison.co...car-insurance/

I think the same thing happened to "spymaster" when his wrap or paint was damaged.
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #62
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:

Well said sir. I highly doubt that RJ asked for donations. Just because one of his friends decided to start up a fund letting people know they could donate if they choose to doesn't mean anything other than that. He's not "internet famous and looking for a handout," nor would he expect help.

If you would like to donate, feel free. If you don't want to donate, there's no obligation. Vroomapunk and 2SSRS have just created a channel and made a post about it, just like lawdogg may or may not have set up a thread. The reason this thread has more interest not because he's a mod but because he's an active member on the forums. I'm sure if this happened to PQ, it would get a lot more attention than if it happened to someone someone who spends a small amount of time on the forums. If money is donated, I'm sure RJ will use it to try and recover from this tragedy, but after meeting the guy face to face and chatting with him for a few days last year, there is no doubt in my mind that RJ would have asked for anything like this on his own. Stop trying to make him a villain because a friend or two did something nice for him.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #63
FireCracker
Banned

Drives: a car
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Well said sir. I highly doubt that RJ asked for donations. Just because one of his friends decided to start up a fund letting people know they could donate if they choose to doesn't mean anything other than that. He's not "internet famous and looking for a handout," nor would he expect help.

If you would like to donate, feel free. If you don't want to donate, there's no obligation. Vroomapunk and 2SSRS have just created a channel and made a post about it, just like lawdogg may or may not have set up a thread. The reason this thread has more interest not because he's a mod but because he's an active member on the forums. I'm sure if this happened to PQ, it would get a lot more attention than if it happened to someone someone who spends a small amount of time on the forums. If money is donated, I'm sure RJ will use it to try and recover from this tragedy, but after meeting the guy face to face and chatting with him for a few days last year, there is no doubt in my mind that RJ would have asked for anything like this on his own. Stop trying to make him a villain because a friend or two did something nice for him.
FireCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #64
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Valid point.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #65
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
As shocked as I was to see the pictures of RJ's car, I'm actually more shocked at some of the self-righteous holier-than-thou comments I've seen on this thread. How do some of you know that people donating here haven't also donated to other causes? And where do you get off condemning people for helping out someone who they care about????

If you want to help out, then help out. If you don't care about RJ and don't want to help then keep your crappy self-righteous opinions to yourself!!! Nobody is forcing you to read this or help him. Wow... just unbelievable!

RJ, hopefully between what the insurance company gives you and what your actual friends on this forum can help you with you'll be able to get back into a Camaro soon. And I for one do appreciate all the time you've spent on this forum and all the help and advice you've given.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #66
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post

That's what friends are for. Of course I see no need to donate but also see no need to try to crap on the thread like others have.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #67
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I haven't read all the way through this..

But let me say, I'm disappointed in some of the responses... I couldn't care less whether any of you donate a dime... It's an individual choice.

We all have the freedom of choice and some of you need to choose to step out of the thread... No one is forcing you in here, and certainly no one is making you stay out... YET...

RJ is a really good person, and gives way more of his time and effort to make this a better site for all of you than most of you will ever know... This is not payment for services rendered... nor it is a pity offering... It is people wanting to do something for a friend that has put thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours into a passion shared by so many on this site... IT's our choice to give or not...

Will I make a donation to the Kaylee fund... That's my business and not any of yours... I make my money, by WORKING... and I spend my money as I wish... Don't like it,.... tough (expletive)...

I donate money to places I desire to donate to, and some of you wouldn't approve or would express your displeasure... Oh well... I absolutely do not care where any others donate their money... It's not my business...

But... I do care about this site, like RJ does... and the hatefull nasty postings and name calling are going to stop...

WE CAN and WILL control that... I've deleted and/or edited a few posts... Any like postings will lead to infractions... Some of you need to go and re-read the rules of posting...

As for donating to other causes, like the OK Tornado victims, or other victims of events... That is a personal choice... Great if you do, ok if you don't... My sister was right in the thick of the tornados... You can bet if she needed it I would help her out... That's my choice... see how it works...

I do not try to control your life or actions anywhere outside of this forum... and as long as you follow the rules we wont have any problem here... Fail to follow the rules and we will control that...

Choice is yours...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #68
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
started seeing white smoke coming up from under the hood while driving home, immediately turned the car off (didn't even pull over). Before I could get out of the car to see what was going on there were flames coming up from the sides of the hood and the windshield wiper cowl. At which point I got out of the car, walked far away and dialed 911 - told them my location (cross-street) and that the call was for a vehicle fire, no one was injured, and there was no entrapment. She said they were dispatching a trunk and to not go near the car, then hung up.
Wow. That's scary!
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #69
hysonmb

Drives: 2010 2SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman53201 View Post
im sure insurance wont cover performance parts
Depends on your insurance company. I called USAA to check on insuring my mods a while ago, mind you there aren't many but I wouldn't want to come out of pocket again in a worst case scenario.
They told me as long a I have the receipts, anything under 5K can be replaced without additional insurance.
hysonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #70
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I'll share a quick story here...

We had a club member blow his engine and roll his car 4 times at the track. This was a 10sec car w/ tons of mods and luckily one of his mods was a roll cage and safety equipment so he walked away. We the club community saw how hard he worked to get his car there and knew the insurance would not cover everything (it did cover the car). We just wanted to help and felt good about doing so even though money was not the object.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 526
Size:  56.2 KB

Now, here's where the similarities come in.

The "members", just like this case wanted to do something to help get him back where he was. The members wanted to feel good about helping out a respected friend. My PM box as well as other mods received comments from many here asking how can I help? Would you provide us an avenue so we can support RJ? This thread was born from members wanting to help a fellow member, and it's awesome. If you don't like it, don't post, because it's not meant for you. I'm absolutely speechless about some of what I just read here.

This is a car forum and RJ is a leader here who has helped out countless folks. If they want to, as someone mentioned, "take him out to lunch" and say thanks "we're thinking about you" then it's their prerogative. This is a simple gesture from the Camaro community and I applaud those who are genuinely concerned about RJ and his situation...

Tags
black, camaro, donate, haters go away, stieger, stig