Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

Old 10-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #14799
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSS View Post
WTH!?! Why, I thought you were never going to get rid of that one
Me too. That was the best car I have ever owned. Sharon thinks I'm nuts for selling it. My first choice is another one with less options and to drive it daily. I found one out of state, but dealer insisted on charging their state sales tax. Unfortunately, I would have to add another 6.5% here for the title.

Any chance your peeps are hooked up with Penske Auto Group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake2010ss View Post
Stingray!!! I want a ride
Too rich for my blood. I prefer Camaro anyway.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #14800
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
No you didnt miss anything - I just haven't said anything about it but I sold it this week to someone from out of state. Keeping my options open for what comes next. In the meantime, I get occasional permission to drive the ABM.

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #14801
SlowSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
Me too. That was the best car I have ever owned. Sharon thinks I'm nuts for selling it. My first choice is another one with less options and to drive it daily. I found one out of state, but dealer insisted on charging their state sales tax. Unfortunately, I would have to add another 6.5% here for the title.

Any chance your peeps are hooked up with Penske Auto Group?
Well damn, what color are going to get this time?

I will ask them tomorrow. What dealership is it at and I can see if someone will dealer trade them
Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #14802
Gizz69
Tony

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Blk/Blk
First of all, you pay the car sales tax on where you live, not where you buy no matter what the dealer is telling you. Second, you only pay AV tax on your birthday, so if you pay it March 1, move out of state July 1, and come back in October 1 and re-register, you do not pay again until March 1. Also, the TAVT is on the DIFFERENCE of your trade in off the price of the new vehicle. If you buy a 50k car and trade in a 30k car, you only pay TAVT on 20K.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #14803
Gizz69
Tony

And seriously with the ads. All the vendors that pay out their ass on this site are not enough to keep the BS ads from invading? FFS.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #14804
SlowSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizz69 View Post
First of all, you pay the car sales tax on where you live, not where you buy no matter what the dealer is telling you. Second, you only pay AV tax on your birthday, so if you pay it March 1, move out of state July 1, and come back in October 1 and re-register, you do not pay again until March 1. Also, the TAVT is on the DIFFERENCE of your trade in off the price of the new vehicle. If you buy a 50k car and trade in a 30k car, you only pay TAVT on 20K.
Correct, but if you do TAVT if you ever have to re-register the car in GA you will have to pay 6.5% of fair market value of the vehicle again. Now that 6.5% is only for this year. It's already set at 6.75% for next year and 7% for 2015. Also it actually could go up to 9%.

Now from my understanding all new registered vehicles the state of Ga is making people pay the TAVT. So if you have to re-register the car in GA then you may end up having to pay x% rate.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #14805
Gizz69
Tony

I am pretty sure when i read it, you also get a break on anything you paid in your former state for tax. Most states will not tax you again unless their tax rate is higher than where you came from. So, I am moving to Texas in January. Since I paid the one time tax on my ZL1, I will not have to pay anything more than the difference between GA and TX when I move there. Same applies in reverse I believe. Otherwise, people who move all over would get slammed with taxes that they already paid over and over.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #14806
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSS View Post
Correct, but if you do TAVT if you ever have to re-register the car in GA you will have to pay 6.5% of fair market value of the vehicle again. Now that 6.5% is only for this year. It's already set at 6.75% for next year and 7% for 2015. Also it actually could go up to 9%.

Now from my understanding all new registered vehicles the state of Ga is making people pay the TAVT. So if you have to re-register the car in GA then you may end up having to pay x% rate.
Found this on the internet, so fwiw -
Motor vehicles titled in Georgia on which the TAVT was paid and the owner subsequently moves out of state but later returns and retitles the same motor vehicle in Georgia are not subject to TAVT
http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/D...Guide_2013.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizz69 View Post
I am pretty sure when i read it, you also get a break on anything you paid in your former state for tax. Most states will not tax you again unless their tax rate is higher than where you came from. So, I am moving to Texas in January. Since I paid the one time tax on my ZL1, I will not have to pay anything more than the difference between GA and TX when I move there. Same applies in reverse I believe. Otherwise, people who move all over would get slammed with taxes that they already paid over and over.
I am no expert, but I cannot find anything to support this. Are you sure GA forgives this tax money just because another state collected sales tax? I doubt GA arranged to collect it from the other 49 states, and I would be shocked if any other state voluntarily forwards it to GA. It means $1959.75 more out of my pocket if I cant reference specific law to support this.

The only reference I can find about how to handle OOS purchases is related to Opt In (purchases before March 2013):
The bill of sale showing the amount of Georgia sales and use tax paid, or other documentation sufficient to prove payment of Georgia sales and use tax, if applicable. Sales tax paid to another state will not be considered.
http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/D...B266Opt-In.pdf

That's what led to my original TAVT tax deduction question. It would suck to pay both and not be able to deduct any of it.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #14807
rhunley14

Drives: Camaro SS
Man I want that stingray bad. Looks bad to the bone and would look good in my garage!
rhunley14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #14808
gglefty

Guess noone's going tomorrow Am?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #14809
blake2010ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
Send a message via AIM to blake2010ss Send a message via MSN to blake2010ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by gglefty View Post
Guess noone's going tomorrow Am?
I went last month and though there was nice cars and stuff....the early hours+difficult parking really just kind of turned me away from it.

416, AGP 6262, E85, Cam
blake2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #14810
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
Ill b there at 7

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #14811
gglefty

New gray stingray at c&o. Badass
Old 10-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #14812
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
Nice turn out...wish the camaros were more organized like the mopar and mustang guys..we were all scattered...caught a pic of a new vette pullin in...it looks blue ray metallic ...there was a about four there

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlanta, club, diane is great., free josh, j.t. is awesome, mti locks not rocks your car, mti rocks, mti rocks your mom's house, yep yep