Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Ivas
el Ruco

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (now runnin' TENS )
Question Dry-ice in intercooler icebox.

If one wants an air to liquid intercooling to be as cold as possible one can add a reservoir that can be installed in the trunk, and into which one charges ice before making a pass. After the pass, the water is now warmer; it needs to be syphoned out and fresh ice recharged into the sump.

What if instead of water ice, one charged the tank with CO2 ice, dry-ice? Now, in this situation the temperature at which the water freezes would have to be lowered by an admixture of ethanol at about 50-50 to water. Since solid CO2 sublimates, the CO2 would not melt into the solution, but would rather vent out into the atmosphere, one could go on recharging the sump with fresh dry-ice after each pass.

My questions are these: If one is not syphoning out the warmed coolant mixture at the end of each pass or two, how much more dry-ice will be required to return the coolant mixture to its lowest possible temperature? How much of the coolant needs to be removed to make room for the larger amount of dry-ice? Will the difference in volume of coolant adversely affect the functioning of the system?

Last edited by Ivas; 10-23-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: punctuation oversight
Ivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
I don't think this is a good idea. your intercooler is a sealed system right? so it doesn't start boiling out coolant when it gets hot. I'm not sure how you expect the dry ice to 'vent'? since it expands when it evaporates. put some dry ice into a 2liter coke bottle, cap it, and watch it explode...now think about your intercooler.

But then again, i could be wrong. wouldn't be the first time
Old 10-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
markssylver

Drives: 95 bbb impala ss
I was thinking of a cooling tank that had a coil running through it that the water to air fluid wouldgo through before the super charger the coil would let the water flow through the tank that's filled with ice or dry ice/water that could be drained when warm without affecting the fluid level in the intrcoolr system
markssylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
i think what would be better if you could do it would be something around your intake tube that could hold ice or dry ice, so you could have colder air going into the s/c. similar to the cold boxes they used run years ago on carb cars.
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Ivas
el Ruco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I don't think this is a good idea. your intercooler is a sealed system right? so it doesn't start boiling out coolant when it gets hot. I'm not sure how you expect the dry ice to 'vent'? since it expands when it evaporates. put some dry ice into a 2liter coke bottle, cap it, and watch it explode...now think about your intercooler.

But then again, i could be wrong. wouldn't be the first time
No, the system is not completely sealed. The sump has a vent pipe that allows gas inside the tank to escape into the atmosphere. No pressure builds inside the tank at all.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Ivas
el Ruco

Quote:
Originally Posted by markssylver View Post
I was thinking of a cooling tank that had a coil running through it that the water to air fluid wouldgo through before the super charger the coil would let the water flow through the tank that's filled with ice or dry ice/water that could be drained when warm without affecting the fluid level in the intrcoolr system
So, this would add another level of complexity to the set-up, a system within a system, so to speak. This could work. I've gotta' give it some deeper thought.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Ivas
el Ruco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspaul View Post
i think what would be better if you could do it would be something around your intake tube that could hold ice or dry ice, so you could have colder air going into the s/c. similar to the cold boxes they used run years ago on carb cars.
Around the intake tube, eh? This would require that it be up on the engine.
How would this all fit into the engine compartment? Sounds big, as I visualize it.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
markssylver

Drives: 95 bbb impala ss
it would be like a trans cooler put inside a tank and the water for intercooler run through it and the tank would be filled with ice/dry ice to cool down the water going through the supercharger i think something like this is made for mustangs already it would basically work the the same way a hot water heater works except you would be cooling the water instead of heating it up
markssylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
stanwilliams
3000 hp 648 ci beast

Drives: 86 Outlaw 10.5 Camaro, 2SS/RS LS3
I have a 5 gal cell in my racecar that hold 3 eight lb bags of ice for my intercooler. The tranny cooler is in this tank also. If you are on the tranny brake very long you can melt all the ice before you even leave the line. Keep the staging games short and there will be a little ice left after a 4.5 sec run (eight mile). Never tried dry ice. Interesting??? Reg ice works pretty dang well though. Intake temp in the 80's with 30 lbs boost.

mods: ******** setup. Whipple supercharger....Need suspension upgrades now... 4" stroker kit, ARH, cam on my wish list.
stanwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
I'll take a pic of what I have on the Bat Car tomorrow.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
Ivas
el Ruco

This may be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
I'll take a pic of what I have on the Bat Car tomorrow.
I look forward to seeing it, especially with a guided explanation of what it all is, and how it all works.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
Ivas
el Ruco

Quote:
Originally Posted by markssylver View Post
it would be like a trans cooler put inside a tank and the water for intercooler run through it and the tank would be filled with ice/dry ice to cool down the water going through the supercharger i think something like this is made for mustangs already it would basically work the the same way a hot water heater works except you would be cooling the water instead of heating it up
There's a Mustang version of a dry-ice suitable system? Man, bring it on. I super wanna' know all you can tell me about it.