Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Kllr Ryd

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Cyber Gray
Retail Car Wash - good idea or bad idea?

New member - 1st post!

So I took my Camaro to a car wash business this morning and I think I got talked into getting stuff done that I don't need, like: Hand Wax after the wash and Leather Protectant put on the seats as well as other "stuff" put on the dash. The car is only 2 weeks old and until this morning was stellar.

When I got back in the car, it looked like they had smeared Armor All all over the interior. It was greasy and slippery and kinda gross looking. The nice leather look now appears very shiny and plastic looking. I was really annoyed and asked them to wipe it off. The manager said this would keep the leather from cracking. I said, this car is going to be garaged day/night and only be out in the sun during driving time so I wasn't too concerned with the leather cracking. And it's brand new, not even 300 miles on it yet. Why would I need all this stuff smeared all over my car? My car did have the "new car" smell. Now it smells like the horrible product they put on it. He says it would dry in an hour and not be greasy anymore. I went down to look at my car 4 hours later and it is still greasy looking.

Is this a good idea to have this type of "detail work" done or did this guy just ruin my interior? I really hate the Armor All look and especially the feel of it. Should I get soap/water and try to wash it off or will this stuff sort of dissipate and go back to looking normal?

Has anybody else had this done to their car?
Kllr Ryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
glambert1
HOMER

Drives: 2010 camaro 2LT RS SIM
thats gross I cant imagine what possessed you to do this after 2 weeks . I think this car needs to have the interior kept clean with armour all cleaner but not the protectant I think it looks better flat plus it is impossible to see out the windshield in sunny days if it reflects the top of the dash A good old bucket and sponge mit or soft brush is the way to go the sides of a car are always dirty after a paid for car wash, I know its tempting to go there and see them all ooogle over your car , and it feels cool but try to resist this. I don't know you at all but when I was a bit younger and I thinksome people go to a car wash when they have great cars like ours just to show it off so in summary.... bad idea
Old 11-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
First, welcome! 2nd, STAY Away from those places with your new car!! Detail it yourself or find a reputable place that will come out and do it - without scratches, and junk...

Congrats on the new car!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
BAD Idea.
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Welcome and congratulations on your Camaro.

Rest easy, your Camaro isn't ruined. But as others have mentioned, I too would avoid "retail car washes". While I doubt they did any harm to your car, you could do a MUCH better job either paying a good detailer, or investing in detailing supplies and doing the work yourself.

If I were you, at this point, I'd do the latter. If you can devote some time, do a search for the best products available, and spend some quality time with your new baby.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
wer2foxs

Drives: 2010 VR SS
NEVER take to a retail car wash. To many things can go wrong using those automated washes. Doing it yourself with the correct use of wash mit, soap, even the drying towel, wax, towel to wax with and remove will make your paint stay looking good and last forever. Try looking at other threads about what to use. Very useful info.
wer2foxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
shad2009
"Cassie"

Drives: 2007 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to shad2009 Send a message via Yahoo to shad2009
doin it yoursself is the best way, i'd wait till it dries up, then go over it with meguiars leather conditioner spray...if u have n e deatailing questions just ask away, we all would b happy to help, and Moose is the #1 man to go to for detailing tips, he, as well as others have given me some great advice

welcome to the camaro fam...enjoy the ride

Future Wheels - 2014 Ford Mustang GT & 2014 Chevy Camaro
shad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:17 AM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Just wipe the leather off with a dry towel and do the same to the dash. No biggie.

I take mine to a good auto wash every once in a while, never had a problem. The interior? Ya, do it yourself.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:45 AM   #9
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
I cant believe that greasy original armor all product is still around. That stuff is just nasty i wouldnt use it on my ride on mower let alone my rides.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:55 AM   #10
2L8IWON

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS SIM
I personally don't allow anyone to put their hands on the 3 women in my life... my wife, my daughter, and my SS.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
Gunmetal

Drives: Cyber Grey 1SS/RS w/Body Kit
Very bad idea, think of how many greased up mini-vans that went thru before you.
Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
Do it yourself. You and your car will be better for it.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Just wash the leather with a soft cloth, warm water and mild soap. Wipe dry immeditely and find a leather cleaning product of your choice that isn't greasy, most are. In my current car, which is a daily driver, I just wipe the seats off with a damp cloth and go. I never use protectant on them. I live in west Texas with notorious sun light and not a single crack. I'd do the same with whatever surface they left greasy. Good luck, welcome & gratz on the new ride!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #14
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Welcome...and you're not the only person that has had horror stories like this. NEVER let anyone touch your car unless you are paying big money for a detailer.

We all make mistakes. Don't let this happen twice