Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
6LITEREATER

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28 NBM
2010 Camaro Splitter Prototype...

So, we finally got all the bugs worked out of our prototype today. We had this thing designed back in August but just now got a day to rework the mounting situation.

Basically, we wanted to be able to mount it using ALL FACTORY mounting holes. In other words, no drilling into you $40,000 car's bumper.

There's plenty of holes on the back where the air dam lip is but only two towards the front.

We bolted it on we the design we had. It is fine at 60mph but around 80mph it flexed (80mph seems to be the magic number, the Kircher GTO splitter is known to cause bad vibration there, something I solved in our GTO splitter design).

So, we pulled it back on the lift and started brain storming. Most other companies would just want to add the splitter support bars seen here...

I personally have never been a fan of those rods on street cars and they were out of the question anyways since it was back to requiring drilling on the bumper.

We also noticed the factory bumper is not even mounted very strongly and some GFX front pieces looked like they caused stress on the thin urethane already.

SO, we decided to add two diffusers to the bottom of our splitter that simply bolted to the frame rails. This way they support the splitter but FROM UNDERNEATH (unseen). support the bumper better since it is a solid mounting spot AND it is still all bolt on while making the splitter work even better.

The finished PROTOTYPE is in the below pics and video. Production pieces will use powdercoated black diffuser bars and the two center spacers you see between the splitter and the bumper...

Here's shots from underneath so you can see how well it is now supported (the diffusers are steel and act as a gusset)...

This thing just looks MEAN...

Finally here's the video...

Our design/shape inspiration simply came from Bumblebee (but I HATE bulky lips, I like clean, race inspired looking pieces, not added ground effects, just my personal taste)...

However, we can EASILY offer them with the nose/tip "pushed in" like the ZR1...

or change the shape completely like this for example...

They can be custom made with whatever shape you want for only $50 more in ABS or $100 more in CF. Get 6 or more people who want the same design and we'll wave the change fee.

We will be offering it in ABS for $400 (more than our other splitters due to the diffusers) and REAL Carbon Fiber for $700.

Pricing is tentative until Friday, might go up OR DOWN a little but that is the ball park... Just thought I'd share!
6LITEREATER is offline   Reply With Quote