Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-08-2011, 07:09 AM   #29
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlueger View Post
Wow! I hope mine is in better shape. If I may,how much did the stroker run? PM if you want.
Have your bottom end parts checked for cracks by a pro first then make a call. If it all checks out good then go back and run them and save the cash. Maybe you can do a ring upgrade while you are at it. JMO.

Think about it this way - if you had already spent the money on a new bottom end before the valve drop, you still would have damaged the heads and valves when the spring let go. Maybe even the forged bottom end pieces could have been damaged at that time.

Ted has a rotating assy on his web site for a price check.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #30
lexlueger

Drives: V10 BMW M5, Supercharged 2SS/RS
Got a hold of the regional sales manager over at Mast.... Exchanged a couple of emails. Now it appears he has vanished.
IW 8 RIB PULLEY W/ OD COG REARS
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

KDI HEAT EXCHANGER/ROTOFAB RESERVOIR
CIRCLE D 2800 TC/FLEX PLATE/ADM TRANS COOLER
DSS DRIVESHAFT/1400 HP AXLES
EATON TRUETRAC -LPE 3.27 GEARS
DYNATECH HEADERS/MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST
SQUASH RETURN STYLE FS ID 850's E85/ FLEXFUEL
BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

Last edited by lexlueger; 03-10-2011 at 09:06 AM.
lexlueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #31
tomanji

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS
I seen your car over at tick performance the other day. I was there getting my car dyno tuned at alvin.. its a good lookin ride I hope it all works out well for you.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #32
lexlueger

Ok. Can't give much details but IT HAS BEEN TAKEN CARE OF. I'll say this, it's refreshing to still see companies that stand by their products after the money has been made. Mast Motorsports .
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #33
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss-rs
Good glad to hear that
Pfadt rear tie rods
Pfadt rear trailing arms
Pfadt rear lower control arm reinforcement bracket
Kooks Long tube headers and high flow cats
Airaid Cold air intake
Magnaflow catback exhaust
Mti short throw shifter
Jannetty tune
Silver Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #34
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
That is great news. Mast is one of the good guys when it comes to situations like this. Were you still running the l99 valves or did you change them to the ls3 ones when you did you top end work? l99 valves will not handle boost period imo.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #35
lexlueger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
That is great news. Mast is one of the good guys when it comes to situations like this. Were you still running the l99 valves or did you change them to the ls3 ones when you did you top end work? l99 valves will not handle boost period imo.
Yep, Mast is a class act. The lifters are different and were changed. If there is a difference between LS3 and L99 valves its news to me
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #36
cam-

Drives: Camaro
What springs are you running now? Not singles again I hope...

Singles are fine for cam only to around .600 lift. Any bigger than that and duals are in order.

Adding boost also puts more load against the springs so this has to be factored in. In your case with a cam and a big maggie the singles should have not been run. Duals for that set up and change them every year ( Check them at least )
cam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #37
lexlueger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam- View Post

Singles are fine for cam only to around .600 lift. Any bigger than that and duals are in order.

Adding boost also puts more load against the springs so this has to be factored in. In your case with a cam and a big maggie the singles should have not been run. Duals for that set up and change them every year ( Check them at least )
I'm no expert but the LS9 and LSA run singles if I'm not mistaken. With that said, I can't run duals with my VVT cam anyway, too much spring pressure.
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #38
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam- View Post

I run a cam with close to .700 lift and a PAC beehive
It's all in the cam profile and a properly matched valvetrain
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #39
cam-

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlueger View Post
I'm no expert but the LS9 and LSA run singles if I'm not mistaken. With that said, I can't run duals with my VVT cam anyway, too much spring pressure.
Stock GM cams are easy on springs and not high in boost pressure so the singles can handle it.

Aftermarket cams use more aggressive ramp rates so you have to upgrade the springs to match. Theres no need to over spring ( although its better to over spring than under spring ) so often a single beehive works fine for most aftermarket cams. As I said "typically" after .600 lift duals are the way to go. Exceptions to this? Yes of course just as CC mentioned its doable. Lightweight valves and retainers make a big difference. Milder cam profiles help ease the spring concerns etc. Theres a lot of variables.

BUT when you take a cam that requires upgraded valve springs already such as yours then add boost? You need to factor that in and although I cannot speak on behalf of others I can merely regurgitate what I have seen and not enough spring and too much boost = KABOOM everytime and theres plenty of proof of this on older message boards from inexperienced builders etc. Keep in mind Ive witnessed more shops open and fail times 3 then all the performance shops who sponsor this board combined. Even the best and biggest sometimes go bye bye W2W? Just because a shop says so dont make it so keep that in mind they have things to gain from all these issues. I dont.

Now I should comment on the VVT dual spring "Issues"

I seriously doubt theres anyone on the boards who has followed the GM VVT system used on these engines as much as I have. Keep in mind the 6.2L has been using VVT on truck engines since 07 so its not "new" as it is to most here and I'm on my second VVT 6.2L build now. Initially in 07 til 2010 the issue was no one was brave enough to do the R&D to figure out how/what to do with VVT builds /tuning and if they were, they certainly were not posting the info up on the internet for free as their livelihoods depended on it. Luckily for anyone sensible enough to understand that and take my comments as simple friendly advice as I have ZERO to gain from sharing this info. im only offering some advice as I see it as of today and yes my opinions are changing as I discover more new info.

So back to the point. DUAL springs AND VVT.

Why dont we do it? There really is no good reason its fine to run them. Whats the worst that could happen? Your cam phase might not work as well and you wont produce as much power. Thats it. Now go and under spring your set up and whats the worst that could happen? KABOOM new engine time thank you very much performance shop $$$ again.

That said everything I have since discovered about rumors that VVT cant take duals and whatnot is really completely unfounded. Theres more than a few engines out there with VVT and duals running fine so this is prooving to be a moot point. The real problem is the AFM lifters they break into bits in stock trim ( just go to gm-trucks and read about it ) this is a big problem.

Aas for VVT itself we got tainted from Ford believe it or not. Fords been running these cam phaser systems for a while now and they have had phaser failures and problems and I think a lot of that babble spilled over into GM VVT fears which is unfortunate. So far in the four years of VVT use by GM I have yet to see ONE SINGLE post or proof of a phaser failure either stock or modified.

So the worry of duals is far less concerning than the worry of not enough valve spring VVT or not running single springs on a cam'd and boosted engine is nuts and your only asking for it again.

Anyways its your money and your car so dont say someone didnt try and help

cam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #40
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
You lost me at stock gm.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #41
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Way to go Mast...now if they could just train BMW on handling those pesky V10's, eh?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #42
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Drives: 10 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
You lost me at stock gm.
+1 Thanks for making me lose sprite through my nose in agreement.
4thGen427CI is offline   Reply With Quote