Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
ericedelman

Drives: 2020 ZL1
Any reports of power steering pumps sucking air at the track?

On a very hard, long right hand turn, my power steering feels like it is pulling some air into the system and giving me a little feedback through the wheel, like when a pump is low on fluid. When I got off the track, the fluid was a little foamy inside the resevoir, but that could also be wishful thinking on my part.

I did put the car on a lift and inspected the steering components, no loose tie rods or ball joints, steering gear bolts are all tight, and I don't see any leaks from the steering system. I topped off the fluid in the resevoir with some of the thicker fluid from Lucas. However, I won't be going back to the track until November, and there's no way to test this on the street safely.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated. It does seem that the design of the resevoir will allow the fluid to settle more towards one side, but I'm not sure of a fix for that.