Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
WongBob
Dig Race?

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Anyone elses factory wheels scratched from original mounting?

Wife was washing the car and noticed paint missing on the lip of the wheel and one rock chip. I thought she had curbed the wheel not knowing it. She sent me a picture of it and I couldnt tell anything about it. When I got home I took a close look..... You can PLAINLY see where the wheel was scuffed when the tires were mounted. I know, because I did the same to a buddy's wheel in high school. The metal isn't chewed up, dinged, or scuffed. The paint was just scuffed off on top of the lip.

The good news is that my wife has been a service writer for GM for over 10 years. They are going to order me a new wheel. It does suck that I will have to have a local shop mount my tire on the wheel.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
Mr pogo

Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
back in my tire changing days the machines would have plastic covers to be installed on the machine tooling when doing aluminum rims so scratches and marring would be avoided.
from what Ive seen of the newest tire machines damage like that is rare, not sure what GM uses at the factory.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
WongBob
Dig Race?

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Its just the clear barely pulled off like that in a few spots. Smooth as glass to the touch.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WongBob View Post
Its just the clear barely pulled off like that in a few spots. Smooth as glass to the touch.

It is your call, but I would just touch it up with matching paint based on the location VS risking more/other damage from dismounting and mounting on a new rim. The wheel weights wont match the large ones GM uses either (unless they have some)...

Matt