Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 01-26-2015, 07:04 PM   #1
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
What Cats to buy?

So I have emissions coming up this year meaning I got to put some cats in my car soon. I am running Stainless Works headers without cats right now, because with the IPF SC I obviously couldn't have ordered the high-flow cats. I dont want to buy the SW high flow cats and gut them and risk not passing, so I want to know if anyone has bought Cats that can resist the heat of the supercharger. I don't want to use my stock ones because they are welded on to the stock exhaust manifold that I took out and are rusty as hell.
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:33 AM   #2
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrasras View Post
So I have emissions coming up this year meaning I got to put some cats in my car soon. I am running Stainless Works headers without cats right now, because with the IPF SC I obviously couldn't have ordered the high-flow cats. I dont want to buy the SW high flow cats and gut them and risk not passing, so I want to know if anyone has bought Cats that can resist the heat of the supercharger. I don't want to use my stock ones because they are welded on to the stock exhaust manifold that I took out and are rusty as hell.
i don't know how inspections work for you there but here in commie cali no car can pass with any high flow cats.

what I would do is empty out your stock cats if you know you won't want to return to stock, and then just put those on if you're trying to pass a visual inspection. if the MIL/CEL matters, get it tuned out. then as long as your state doesn't care about the supercharger you're good and will have more power than with expensive high flow cats

hope that helps, my two cents. I will always go against HFC just because catless is better
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
djrasras

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
i don't know how inspections work for you there but here in commie cali no car can pass with any high flow cats.

what I would do is empty out your stock cats if you know you won't want to return to stock, and then just put those on if you're trying to pass a visual inspection. if the MIL/CEL matters, get it tuned out. then as long as your state doesn't care about the supercharger you're good and will have more power than with expensive high flow cats

hope that helps, my two cents. I will always go against HFC just because catless is better
Thanks for the advice. Can you explain what you mean by getting the CEL "tuned out"? I didn't know you could do that
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
Old 01-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Unless you've already got a check engine light, your tune is taking care of it now (I think all the IPF tunes include that).

If Maryland does a "sniffer" test, you're gonna need to put the stock cats back inline as close to the stock position as possible.

I put my stock cats back in with a LT header/no cat tune, and had no adverse effects.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #5
djrasras

So I guess I'll just take my stock cats and just have a shop cut them off the stock headers and clamp them on temporarily for emissions