Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #29
predatoryangel

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Okay the main question seems to be.. is it easy to drive a stick. Yeah it's not much difference between the manual and automatic besides $1k. The point is, he wants to know if its hard to drive a stick?

Its hard to learn. It sucks.. it really really sucks. My dad taught me when I was 10 on an old pick up with a stick shift almost as tall as I was then. But it is really worth it to learn. Not only can you drive the extra HP you want, and save $1k, but you can drive any other vehicle thats a stick. My suggestion.. get a friend or family member who has a stick to take you into the country and teach you how to drive it, cause it's gonna suck even worse to learn on your new Camaro.. god forbid you grind the gears. Learn before you get it!
predatoryangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:50 PM   #30
predatoryangel

Also, to keep bein chatty, I recall my dad saying that you can hear when you need to change gears.. mind you 1st is the hardest, which you don't need to "hear".. but I couldn't "hear" when to change gears for years.. if you can get out of 1st you're golden.. after that watch the RPMs til you can "hear"
Old 03-23-2009, 01:46 AM   #31
Bawt
Future Camaro Owner!

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT soon
I was thinking Manual for a while because of all the guys saying an auto ain't a muscle. Then I saw 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and was a little more motivated to get an auto. I figure, the remote start and paddle shifters makeup for the extra 1,000$
Old 03-23-2009, 01:55 AM   #32
nimnels

Drives: On the lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawt View Post
I was thinking Manual for a while because of all the guys saying an auto ain't a muscle. Then I saw 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and was a little more motivated to get an auto. I figure, the remote start and paddle shifters makeup for the extra 1,000$
my thoughts exactly,plus the fact of the congested small area i live in
nimnels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:35 AM   #33
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
lol. when you look at it as paying to lose performance, you've already started on the wrong foot.

you said you had never driven stick before. yes....?
you said the specs are so much better for the m6 to the A6. yes....?

I asked you what specs you considered so much better. and you come back with personal attacks.

if millions (if not billions) of people around the world can drive a stick, im sure you could manage. you will kill it, you will burn the clutch from time to time, thats part of the learning process. its not difficult to drive stick. just takes some people longer than others to learn.

the fact that you have never driven a manual in your life before is pretty much going to negate your chances of seeing the 1/4 times or 0-60 times that have been shown that this car can do.
and thats not an attack at you, its the truth. if you want the manual, get it, if you dont think you will be able to drive it (comfortably in your own right), get the auto.

and if you feel like it, you can settle down and answer a few questions of mine.

how many cars have you driven with over 400 hp? how many times have you gone sub 12 sec 1/4 mile? how often will you be taking your car to the track? will this car be your dd?
off topic, but there's only 6 billion people in the world so i don't think its as many as you think that can drive a manual
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 AM   #34
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I look at it this way. Getting the auto you have no chance of missing a gear off the line againts someone. Also unless you are going to the track the quarter mile time is not an issue with the auto. I surely hope you don't plan on going 100+ mph on roads unless passing on a 2 lane highway.

I am looking forward to auto start. Black leather interior, south Alabama in the summer. Get into a nice cool downed car.

I will happily take the auto.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:42 AM   #35
2Scoops

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BIRDman View Post
ive never driven a manual in my life so an automatic would be my obvious choice. yet because the specs on the manual are so much better, i want to ask if its really that hard to drive one? (a manual)
To answer your question... I had the same issue as you when I bought my current car, (2004 Mazda RX8). I barely knew how to drive a stick... I figured if I was going to spend the amount of $$ that I did on that car I wanted a stick... for the same reasons as you, (Hp, torque, bragging rights, etc). So I took one on a test drive, grinded the gears all over hell and back. The dealer was a young kid and luckily, didn't give a shit. So, he sold me an auto right after. Embarrassed as hell I decided to learn to drive a stick before my next car.

So I learned on my brother's Jeep. I'm so glad that I did. After a while, I graduated to my dad's vette, (THAT took some begging though), and did pretty well.

My point is, that all it takes is practice. If you are like most of us and just HAVE to get a Camaro now, go for the auto and learn to drive a stick with a different car. Then a couple years down the road trade in the 2010 for the 2012. If the extra Hp is that important to you and you can wait to get the Camaro until you learn the stick, then do that. But I do NOT recommend getting a new manual and throwing yourself on it like that.

Just thought I'd throw in my .02
Rest in peace my Brothers.

2SS/RS MN6, Cyber Grey Metallic w/ Black Rally Stripes

http://twoscoopscamaro5.mybrute.com
2Scoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #36
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatoryangel View Post
Also, to keep bein chatty, I recall my dad saying that you can hear when you need to change gears.. mind you 1st is the hardest, which you don't need to "hear".. but I couldn't "hear" when to change gears for years.. if you can get out of 1st you're golden.. after that watch the RPMs til you can "hear"
most vehicles have idiot lights for upshifts nowadays, so if you still have trouble hearing when to shift, a nice little reminder pops up on the dash
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #37
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
in all the reviews that they tested the ss manual no one complained about the shifter... can't wait to see&read when they'll test one with the hurst shifter..
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #38
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
It's just like driving an automatic... except for starting, stopping and shifting.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #39
SoonerCamaro

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2ss
Just because GM gets those 1/4 mile times does not mean they are the best drivers also. I have owned a camaro for awhile and always read countless people getting better times in a manual than car and driver and motor trend....autos are more consistent...get a good driver and they will get better than a 12.9 guaranteed! So saying the manual isnt that big of a difference is saying alot...get a good driver and those diff. in time widen...yes him being a newbee with a manual he prob wont get those times...but with practice he will have mid 12s! just my .02
Dynatech 1 7/8" headers
New Era intake
Vector Motorsports tune
SoonerCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:19 AM   #40
predatoryangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
most vehicles have idiot lights for upshifts nowadays, so if you still have trouble hearing when to shift, a nice little reminder pops up on the dash
Ooh really? I'm way behind technology!
Old 03-27-2009, 02:54 AM   #41
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Get the auto...GM needs the extra money.
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #42
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatoryangel View Post
Ooh really? I'm way behind technology!
yeah... even my 99 has it
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote