Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-07-2011, 04:24 AM   #1
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

Drives: 10 SS/RS 6M Blk/Blk Silver Stripes
Arrow Best springs for smooth ride.

Looking to lower my SS, what is the smoothest riding springs?
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
-Hurst Shifter, with custom Speed Dawg
Dennis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #2
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Hmmm, well I can only speak about Pfadt as that's what I have. It's a great smooth highway ride. It's stiff though. Bumps in the road are sharper now, if that makes sense. But it made the car handle so much better!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1lt/rs, 2010 2ss/rs, 2004 GTO
The smoothest ride isn't going to come from any type of lowering spring. They all have higher spring rates which in turn make the ride stiffer.
Whiteside Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
If you want a smooth ride while still being lowered I'd say coil overs are what you want.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
If you want a smooth ride while still being lowered I'd say coil overs are what you want.

More expensive but ulitmately a better deal. BC Coilovers are pretty affordable. Do a search on those and at least look at them as an option.

If you don't want to spend the money on coilovers and just do springs for looks, just realize most people are going to recommend whatever they have. Not many people have switched different brands of springs in order to feel the difference.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
I have Eibach springs and sways........................Get Coilovers.

I am changing them out after I get other mods taken care of. I love the lower look, not a fan of the harsh ride that goes with it. I'll be swapping all my bushings out shortly to see if it helps.

Good luck.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

Thanks for the info! I will check out some coilovers!
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
Old 10-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

Now that you have BC's on, is the ride just as nice as stock? Have you hit bottom at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post

More expensive but ulitmately a better deal. BC Coilovers are pretty affordable. Do a search on those and at least look at them as an option.

If you don't want to spend the money on coilovers and just do springs for looks, just realize most people are going to recommend whatever they have. Not many people have switched different brands of springs in order to feel the difference.
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
Old 10-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
I have Eibach springs and sways........................Get Coilovers.

I am changing them out after I get other mods taken care of. I love the lower look, not a fan of the harsh ride that goes with it. I'll be swapping all my bushings out shortly to see if it helps.

Good luck.
wise words indeed..now when u say ur swapping bushings ...if u want a soft ride stick with stock...goin poly or even worst delrin or spherical will kill u for sure
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
coil overs is the only way to get a smooth ride and better handling if that even happens...trust me ..if u lower the springs....u mite hate the car...i know i will...i just bought coil overs last week, not installed yet
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06

For the ultimate in ride quality it's really hard to beat a good set of coilovers. Our drop springs were designed with rates that work well with the stock shocks, but best performance and ride quality are achieved with both damper and spring rate changes. The coilovers we sell feature spring and damper rates specifically selected for the Camaro and are equally at home on both the street and the track.

If you've got any questions please let us know!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis SS View Post
Now that you have BC's on, is the ride just as nice as stock? Have you hit bottom at all?
With my current settings I would say it's as soft as stock if not a little softer. You'll still follow some dips in the road....it's not going to make it a smooth as a Lexus or anything but without a doubt my ride has been greatly improved over the drop springs I had.

I haven't bottomed out on anything yet.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 10-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
caverman

Oh...you can also drop your car a little more with that better ride on coilovers.

Here are some pics. First one is with 1" drop springs. Second is lowered to around the 1.25" - 1.4" range (I never measured my stock height and haven't measured the new hieght).
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 10-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1lt/rs, 2010 2ss/rs, 2004 GTO
I fyou want the smoothest ride without braking the bank then the most affordable option is going to be the BC Racing Coilovers that Caverman has. They give you that lowered look, perform on the track, and let you ride home with feeling like you're in a full blow race car.

Whiteside Customs is offline   Reply With Quote