Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-13-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
WOW, Have you really looked at what we are getting with an SS?

I have just been looking at a ton of 0-60 times.

This car with just a few mods will be quicker the a stock base Vette. It will be quicker with out mods than 4 year old stock Vettes. It will be quicker than all those IROC's and Z28's we used to drool over, AT LEAST I DID.

To me it is just amazing that this is going to be a bat out of hell being stock. Ok had to get that out of my system.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Just remember,a Camaro will never be a Corvette!
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
It's been the poor-man's Vette since the LT1 was put in the first 4th gen. The gap is getting awfully close now. The Vette is the American icon, but the Camaro is going to be giving it a run for it's money, there's no denying that.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
Dano

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
I believe the Camaro has always been the Blue Collar workers Corvette. No doubt the Corvette is the icon of American sports cars and will always be the King. It is just nice to that the Muscle cars have returned. It will nice to got the track on the weekends and being running all types of Modern Muscle Cars. Just think their will be Camaro's, Mustangs, GTO's and Challengers. For those of us that enjoy the comrade and friendly competition this is truly an exciting time.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
you Forgot about the L98
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post

This car with just a few mods will be quicker the a stock base Vette. It will be quicker with out mods than 4 year old stock Vettes. It will be quicker than all those IROC's and Z28's we used to drool over, AT LEAST I DID.

To me it is just amazing that this is going to be a bat out of hell being stock. Ok had to get that out of my system.
But how many stock vettes will you run into. Once you start down this slippery slope there's no end. Go over to a Honda forum and read all the "kill" threads about how some Civic annihilated a vette.

With mods anything is possible.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
linemup

Drives: 95 z28 ls1 ss clone, ls2 powrd
Quote:

Quicker then a stock vette? c6s 425hp around 3250lbs vs 5th gen camaro ss 425hp 3900lbs, I cant see the camaro winning that race even if its the ls2 c6.The performence gap between the vette and camaro has widen alot this time around its not going to be nowhere near as close as it was with the c4 and c5 vettes vs the 4th gens camaro imho.
linemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
It may never be a Vette, but I honestly think it's a better looking car! Plus the fact I love the extra room with the back seats. The engine will give me all the power I really need. But what I really want is wicked suspension and handling with great steering feel. If I get that, I'll be as happy as a pig in poop!!!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
It's been the poor-man's Vette since the LT1 was put in the first 4th gen. The gap is getting awfully close now. The Vette is the American icon, but the Camaro is going to be giving it a run for it's money, there's no denying that.
And then there was the LS1 which made me buy my first camaro.
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #10
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
But how many stock vettes will you run into. Once you start down this slippery slope there's no end. Go over to a Honda forum and read all the "kill" threads about how some Civic annihilated a vette.

With mods anything is possible.
most vettes I see are stock! I live on the coast of Florida, maybe that makes a difference. But most of the vettes around here are stock and not driven like I would drive one! JMO.
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
Cyberfan

Drives: 08 Z06 Vette; 02 T/A Firehawk
My 08 Corvette is NOT a daily driver. It has 1200 miles after a year. I plan on keeping it for a long long time.

The Camaro will be a daily driver. The thing about the Camaro that is appealing to me is that you can get a well equipped 425 horse 6 speed car for around $35,000. Bare bones for 3K less.

Now compare that to Mustang (no power, unless you want the OVERPRICED GT-500), and Challenger (too heavy and the SRT-8 is way overpriced).

I can't see any new car that gets more bang for the buck than the Camaro. Cyber Gray 6 speed 2SS with just polished wheels and shifter for me, but I want to wait till things settle down. Till then the 02 Trans Am Firehawk will have to do.
Cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
dbotsfordtat

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberfan View Post
My 08 Corvette is NOT a daily driver. It has 1200 miles after a year. I plan on keeping it for a long long time.

The Camaro will be a daily driver. The thing about the Camaro that is appealing to me is that you can get a well equipped 425 horse 6 speed car for around $35,000. Bare bones for 3K less.

Now compare that to Mustang (no power, unless you want the OVERPRICED GT-500), and Challenger (too heavy and the SRT-8 is way overpriced).

I can't see any new car that gets more bang for the buck than the Camaro. Cyber Gray 6 speed 2SS with just polished wheels and shifter for me, but I want to wait till things settle down. Till then the 02 Trans Am Firehawk will have to do.
+1, if they would just get the car finished!
dbotsfordtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:

Quicker than an IROC??!! As an IROC owner, let me tell you that it will be quicker than an IROC while towing a Yukon!!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
WOW, Have you really looked at what we are getting with an SS?

...mmmm....everything I've ever wanted?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote