Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
mpyle007

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS L99
I love all Chevys, Fords, and the GTR. No Camaro or Mustang will ever be a GTR. You have to drive one to know what I mean. A buddy of mine has a boost logic Greddy package on one and it runs low 10's all day long no issues. Super street friendly.

The camaro is pretty balanced both power and handling on the ZL1. Modded they will be fast and perform well all around.

The ZR1 is just a different car compared to a mustang along with the Ford GT.

Now as for the Mustang, it will have a ton of power and will be maxed out running as hot as it is. I will be interested to see what the "next" step will be for power. It may not need anything but suspension, wheels, and tires. What I do know is that it is still a mustang. Not a Corvette, not a Ford GT, definately not a GTR, and not even a Camaro in terms of engineering.

The motor will be a beast but what does that power do to the ground and will the car handle that power gracefully?

We shall see....
GMPP axle back exhaust system
Custom Dyno tune by ARD (Advanced Racing Dynamics)
BMR 1.4" Springs all four corners

"There is no replacement for displacement"
mpyle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
BlackSS_13
13.0 on 1/4mi with tune

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black/red interior
sorry to go off topic but i was reading this article and found this very interesting:
FORD will offer a 2013 Mustang Roush package offering 3 stages(1,2,and 3) but the one that caught my attention is STAGE 3 saying -"Stage 3 puts a supercharged 5.0-liter V-8 rated for 565 hp and 505 lb-ft of torque under the hood. The forced induction comes courtesy of an R2300 supercharger featuring Eaton’s TVS (Twin Vortices Series) patented technology." WILL THIS BE 1/4 COMPETITION WITH THE ZL1? and here is the link to the article guys.: http://blog.caranddriver.com/2013-ro...te-april-2012/
BlackSS_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #17
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyle007 View Post
I love all Chevys, Fords, and the GTR. No Camaro or Mustang will ever be a GTR. You have to drive one to know what I mean. A buddy of mine has a boost logic Greddy package on one and it runs low 10's all day long no issues. Super street friendly.
I've ridden along in one... Holy Crap what a ride... The dead stop take off felt like one of the electromag launch roller coasters with that weird stomach feeling.. I kept waiting for the thing to come off the ground during hard turns, but it just stayed planted.... It's amazing what that car can do......
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #18
mpyle007

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS L99
Maybe ford can photo shop their car like the Shelby1000 did with its front wheels off the ground. LOL
GMPP axle back exhaust system
Custom Dyno tune by ARD (Advanced Racing Dynamics)
BMR 1.4" Springs all four corners

"There is no replacement for displacement"
mpyle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
1ltcap
Banned

Drives: 2012 mustanng gt, 1968 chevy camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS_13 View Post
sorry to go off topic but i was reading this article and found this very interesting:
FORD will offer a 2013 Mustang Roush package offering 3 stages(1,2,and 3) but the one that caught my attention is STAGE 3 saying -"Stage 3 puts a supercharged 5.0-liter V-8 rated for 565 hp and 505 lb-ft of torque under the hood. The forced induction comes courtesy of an R2300 supercharger featuring Eaton’s TVS (Twin Vortices Series) patented technology." WILL THIS BE 1/4 COMPETITION WITH THE ZL1? and here is the link to the article guys.: http://blog.caranddriver.com/2013-ro...te-april-2012/
if i'm not mistaken, in this instance, ford doesn't do this themselves. these cars go to roush for that work. i could be wrong though.
1ltcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #20
1ltcap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyle007 View Post

The camaro is pretty balanced both power and handling on the ZL1. Modded they will be fast and perform well all around.

The ZR1 is just a different car compared to a mustang along with the Ford GT.

Now as for the Mustang, it will have a ton of power and will be maxed out running as hot as it is. I will be interested to see what the "next" step will be for power. It may not need anything but suspension, wheels, and tires. What I do know is that it is still a mustang. Not a Corvette, not a Ford GT, definately not a GTR, and not even a Camaro in terms of engineering.

The motor will be a beast but what does that power do to the ground and will the car handle that power gracefully?

We shall see....
question for ya on this one.

when i was doing my buddys brakes on his 2010, i noticed that the front hubs appear to be capable of taking a drive axle. i'd heard talk in the past of possibly producing an AWD version of the camaro.
don't you think that an AWD camaro or mustang(i don't see this type of hubs on my mustang) would be able to match the gtr?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #21
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkman555 View Post
"Ford says that the GT500′s supercharged 5.8-liter V-8 is now the most powerful production V-8 in the world"

That's one hell of a statement ... when is this car going to hit the streets ?

And is the new argument "ZR1 vs GT500" ?
I doubt anything changes with the 2013 in regards to power considering they are only a few months away from production.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #22
oldlugs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Bullitt + 2009 Shelby GT-500KR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ltcap View Post
question for ya on this one.

when i was doing my buddys brakes on his 2010, i noticed that the front hubs appear to be capable of taking a drive axle. i'd heard talk in the past of possibly producing an AWD version of the camaro.
don't you think that an AWD camaro or mustang(i don't see this type of hubs on my mustang) would be able to match the gtr?
Wouldn't that be cool? AWD may be the wave of the future on both Camaro and Mustang... Probably 'bout the same time they offer electric models. (don't laugh; it may happen!)
oldlugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #23
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Someone figured out what section to post this in FINALLY
Old 04-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #24
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
I think Ford would not produce a 662hp engine just to make smoke show with it. They plan to beat the ZL1, plain and simple. And they will, in straight line. Is that tough to put better tires on this damn car from factory??!!

But around the track, I'm not so sure; the Boss Laguna Seca was lighter and made for cornering and got beat my the ZL1 by a good margin. It will be pretty hard to do make the GT500 corners as good as the Boss, let alone a ZL1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iUAE View Post
Could this be an alternative to a Nissan GT-R?
WTF is the point?? 2 cars that have nothing in common...
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #25
1ltcap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlugs View Post
Wouldn't that be cool? AWD may be the wave of the future on both Camaro and Mustang... Probably 'bout the same time they offer electric models. (don't laugh; it may happen!)

the thought of either of our favorite cars in all wheel drive nearly gives me a......well...you know.

the thought of either of them being offered in electric kills the above.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #26
1ltcap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
I think Ford would not produce a 662hp engine just to make smoke show with it. They plan to beat the ZL1, plain and simple. And they will, in straight line. Is that tough to put better tires on this damn car from factory??!!

But around the track, I'm not so sure; the Boss Laguna Seca was lighter and made for cornering and got beat my the ZL1 by a good margin. It will be pretty hard to do make the GT500 corners as good as the Boss, let alone a ZL1.

WTF is the point?? 2 cars that have nothing in common...
the zl1 is not comparable to the boss302 or the boss302ls. that slot will be filled by the 1le. the zl1 is directly comparable to the gt500. i think that on road courses, two things will come into play. the track itself.......one of these beasts will always better the other on certain tracks. and the driver.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #27
oldlugs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Bullitt + 2009 Shelby GT-500KR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ltcap View Post
the thought of either of our favorite cars in all wheel drive nearly gives me a......well...you know.

the thought of either of them being offered in electric kills the above.
WHY is that? Fast electrics offer as much or MORE torque, from zero RPM. What's the problem with a fast electric? Once battery technology improves, electrics will take over. Sorry if that kills your wood.

BTW- here's a relatively low budget example... that runs 10s.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/19651664

Maybe not your kind of car, but just to give an idea of what electrics offer...
oldlugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #28
1ltcap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlugs View Post
WHY is that? Fast electrics offer as much or MORE torque, from zero RPM. What's the problem with a fast electric? Once battery technology improves, electrics will take over. Sorry if that kills your wood.

if we have battery tech that'll go the same range as our gas power card, and won't take en entire day or night to recharge, and won't weigh so much as to kill our handling, and will be as clean as our gas engines(think about that one), and will remain reliable...then i'd be ok with them.