Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-18-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
The Little Six Banger

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1lt V6
Exhaust and Tuning help

Hello to everyone. I am a newbie to the site. Have read a few different things here and there from the site, but now I have a question I can't find a thread about. I have a 2011 camaro 1lt v6. I would like to put a set of Pacesetter long tube headers and a pair of thunderbolt hi-flow cats (they're not that expensive and have pretty good reviews ) on the car with the MRT 2.o axle back system. After that I want to tune it with a Trifecta tune. Am I still going to throw codes like no tomorrow if I have a tune? And does anybody have any idea of how loud that will be? My wife drives it daily so I don't want to kill her with a loud exhaust. Although that is the reason I drive the truck. :evilgrin: anyhow. Just want to see if anyone could shed some light on this topic for me.
Thanks to all that respond,
The newbie.
The Little Six Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
Stecky

Drives: 0000
There are less expensive way to get a little load that wont blast your wife. Just try one thing at a time. Start with some catbacks. Borla, Magnaflow. There are a lot of web sites to check the sounds. Use some ear buds to listen.
Borla Attack is a good loud, but does too load inside the car. It turns on when you dump it.
Stecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Catback (or axleback) will increase the tone note more than either the headers and HFC's. the Headers and HFC's will add to the tone note, but the biggest difference is in the catback... the mufflers really.

I'm partial to the Flowmasters because they've not caused my neighbors to complain, give me no drone, give me a nice deep rumble at low RPM, and a very loud growl at WOT. Its the perfect balance and when I added the Headers and HFC's, it only sounded better.

A tune I don't believe will make your car louder or softer when it comes to the exhaust note. Also, to add regarding popping CEL codes, I installed my Catback, no codes. Installed the Headers, No Code. Later installed my HFC's, no code... until the supplied cheap Gaskets that came with the JBA's gave out on me. Great HFC's, but poor gaskets. Popped a CEL because of the exhaust leak. Installed new, steel gaskets - effectively eliminated the leak, cleared the code and been code-less ever since.

I installed Shorties because I am in CA, and added O2 sensor extensions when I installed my HFC's, which I assume helped with preventing any O2 codes.

I reckon if done carefully and to spec, you shouldn't get any codes with what you want nor with a Tune. In fact, a good tune helps keep codes at bay.

Good luck with your build.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Get your headers man , I got BBK stainless steel long tubes with BBK High flow Cats BBK X-pipe and 4 Custom made Chamber high flow mufflers 17 and 21 inch each side , They sound amazing , You will be very happy to lose those trash cans and that sorry ass manifold , adds power and FUN !!!Yes I got a CEL on , and havnt got the tune yet , But no biggie I will this fall .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
The Little Six Banger

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1lt V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
Get your headers man , I got BBK stainless steel long tubes with BBK High flow Cats BBK X-pipe and 4 Custom made Chamber high flow mufflers 17 and 21 inch each side , They sound amazing , You will be very happy to lose those trash cans and that sorry ass manifold , adds power and FUN !!!Yes I got a CEL on , and havnt got the tune yet , But no biggie I will this fall .
Will the tune make your CEL go away for good? And did you do like Spec and pull your O2 sensor out some?
The Little Six Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Exhaust always starts up front. I'm not that versed on the stock V6 exhaust. ...but I'm guessing not a whole lot different than the V8. My suggestion would be to start with the headers cats and a tune....preferably a dyno tune (money well spent)...then see how that sounds. Then if you want louder, you can add a cat back/axle back if you like...and it wont require a retune. Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #7
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote