Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Bird poop stains.

Thanks to everyone for their advice on how to handle my obsession (see my last thread). I'm going to drive the wheels off it from now on.

On another note, does anyone know a way to get out the stains that bird droppings leave, even after it's washed?

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
If the bird poop is on there a long time the uric acid in the poop will etch the paint. A few passes with a PC and some SHR should fix it.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
TJR1952

Drives: 2013 2LT
After you get stain out with compound

I carry a bottle of turtle ice with me. Any time i see a dropping , spray and wripe.
TJR1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Yeah once you get it out, some detail spray will come in real handy. Also, a good wax or sealant (ie http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-we...d-sealant.html) will help stop stains from etching into the paint, as well as making cleaning your car a lot easier!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
lgKido

Drives: 2002 Dodge Ram :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
If the bird poop is on there a long time the uric acid in the poop will etch the paint. A few passes with a PC and some SHR should fix it.
What are PC and SHR......?
lgKido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgKido View Post
What are PC and SHR......?
PC = Port Cable random orbital polisher

SHR = Adams's Polishes: Swirl and Haze Remover
Old 10-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
TJR1952

Drives: 2013 2LT
Do not use orbital polisher , too easy to create swirl marks. Find a good compound that is gel coat safe and do by hand. It may take a little while to remove stain , but if paint is not damaged , it will come out.
TJR1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
damn birds
Old 10-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #9
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR1952 View Post
Do not use orbital polisher , too easy to create swirl marks. Find a good compound that is gel coat safe and do by hand. It may take a little while to remove stain , but if paint is not damaged , it will come out.
TOTALLY INCORRECT!!

Use the right products and the right DUAL action polisher and you will almost never have any problems.

You might want to check this out:

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 10-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #10
MYDLIFECRISIS

I have very little experience detailing and all that. Anything outside of washing and wiping down is way out of my comfort zone. I'm afraid I'd do more harm than good. Are there reputable places in my area that handle this type of detailing? I'm in Fairfax, VA. I've been googling detailing places, but none seem to have much experience in this. I'm willing to pay for it, but I'd like it to come out good.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDLIFECRISIS View Post
I have very little experience detailing and all that. Anything outside of washing and wiping down is way out of my comfort zone. I'm afraid I'd do more harm than good. Are there reputable places in my area that handle this type of detailing? I'm in Fairfax, VA. I've been googling detailing places, but none seem to have much experience in this. I'm willing to pay for it, but I'd like it to come out good.
MYDLIFECRISIS, if you would like, I can make it very easy for you. I could honestly make a video specifically for you. It would cost about the same for you to buy a dual action polisher and some compound, as it would to go to a detailer.

The reason for the high cost is that any detailer worth his salt would have to compound and polish any whole panel that the bird etching is in. It isn't hard, but I suspect the charge would be around 150.

You could buy yourself a PC, some pads, and some compound and polish and do it yourself for around 180 or so. And in the future, you would never have to go the detailer should something happen.

I actually just started using my PC about a month ago, and feel very comfortable with it now. It is EXTREMELY easy to use.

I will seriously make a video for you if you would like, and I guarantee you will feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Let me know.

Of course, if the detailer is still something you want, then go ahead. I'm here to help, not to tell you what to do

Old 10-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
MYDLIFECRISIS, if you would like, I can make it very easy for you. I could honestly make a video specifically for you. It would cost about the same for you to buy a dual action polisher and some compound, as it would to go to a detailer.

The reason for the high cost is that any detailer worth his salt would have to compound and polish any whole panel that the bird etching is in. It isn't hard, but I suspect the charge would be around 150.

You could buy yourself a PC, some pads, and some compound and polish and do it yourself for around 180 or so. And in the future, you would never have to go the detailer should something happen.

I actually just started using my PC about a month ago, and feel very comfortable with it now. It is EXTREMELY easy to use.

I will seriously make a video for you if you would like, and I guarantee you will feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Let me know.
that's pretty high IMO for one panel. If he just wanted one panel prepped and polished out, that'd be like $50-75 at the most to do a waterless wash, quick clay, and 2 stage polish.

But I do agree with you, better to make the investment and learn to do it yourself.

You will not hurt the paint with a PC unless you're trying to. It's a perfect machine to learn on.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
that's pretty high IMO for one panel. If he just wanted one panel prepped and polished out, that'd be like $50-75 at the most to do a waterless wash, quick clay, and 2 stage polish.

But I do agree with you, better to make the investment and learn to do it yourself.

You will not hurt the paint with a PC unless you're trying to. It's a perfect machine to learn on.
It could be, I was just guestimating. OP, CD07 above is a professional, so he would know prices better than I.

However, you should note, that both of us recommend doing it yourself

Old 10-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
MYDLIFECRISIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
It could be, I was just guestimating. OP, CD07 above is a professional, so he would know prices better than I.

However, you should note, that both of us recommend doing it yourself
Would love a video...I am mechanically inclined, so maybe I'm just scared because I've never done it. I would appreciate any effort on your part my friend.