Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
The Slow FEEL of the L99 is deceptive. Stock for stock, the L99 will run with pretty much any LS3 and with a little tune on the engine and trans, they turn into beasts.

As far as comparing stock to stock, if your stuck on keeping the factory warrantee, by all means do what feels best to you and you will be the happiest. Don't let someone talk you into something you do not want.

If however you get the LT1 and sometime down the road you find yourself wanting for more power....... Well, at least you can enjoy your smooth ride and soft seats. Just decide whats more important to you.

There is a reason for the stiffer ride in the SS.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #16
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
the A6 is a dog out of the box. Every stock one I have driven has NOT wowed me at all. Needs a tune at the very least... IMMEDIATELY after buying, then that voids a warranty. Like someone else. Drive a M6 that will change your mind about the power at least. It is a beast.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #17
SonomaJohn

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 6M Convertible
Like folks have said, it is what you like and fortunately not everyone feels the same. In my case I owned a 2011 2SS RS auto and then drove a 1LT auto for over a month while my car was in the shop and now have a 2013 2SS RS 6M and agree they are all different cars. The 1LT was a nice car to drive but getting back into the 2SS with the difference in performance, the far superior brakes and the more solid feel was sheer pleasure to me. I also found the L99 engine's inability to decide if it wanted to be a four or an eight very annoying. My current car with the LS3, manual tranny and the dual mode exhaust is what I believe the Camaro experience is supposed to be.

As I say, they are all different cars that fit different folks and I am extremely happy to have found the ideal one for me.

John
Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #18
SS ORANGE CRUSH SS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS RS Convertible
I like my stiff ride,,,hard seats ,,,quick shifting,,,2SS L99 !!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #19
BilJ

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I loved my 1LT also _until_ I got my SS. Really glad that both of us are now happy.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #20
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS ORANGE CRUSH SS View Post
I like my stiff ride,,,hard seats ,,,quick shifting,,,2SS L99 !!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #21
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
I had a 1LT also and yea noticed a big difference when I traded her for my 2SS. Yes the SS does have a rougher ride but keep in mind its a heavier car. By no means do I regret my desicion on the upgrade. Also now that I have broke in the engine it runs better than day one.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
Old 07-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #22
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Excellent assessment of the differences between LT and SS. My sentiments exactly except for which one would be my choice.

I can't say I'm not thinking about ways to improve the rocking the stiffer SS does on crap city streets. It's like it needs better struts or something.

You drove an automatic though, if I had an automatic I would probably hate it, just my preference, but like someone else said the V8 cars wake up easily.

The first part is when it actually becomes yours and you give it some gas and learn how to drive it. Then you realize what the SS is all about, and I guess it's not for everyone.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #23
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post
Call me crazy guys, and I'm series about stepping up to a 2SS and have been in contact with multiple dealers trying to get the best deal on my trade and new car, but I'm not really liking the idea all that much after my test drive, definitely not enough to lose my ass on the trade.

I like the smoother ride of the 1LT (I swear this is one of the smoothest riding cars I've ever been in!)

I like the softer cloth seats.

The above two make the car more comfortable to drive.

I could feel 4cyl deactivation. Car had something a little louder than the stock exhaust I think because I could hear the 4cyl deactivation along with feeling it (weird drone when it kicked in).

The 2SS overall feels more rugged (harder seats, harder ride). The 1LT is just so much more comfortable and relaxed feeling.

I do love that low end torque right off idle of the SS but to be honest with you, the SS really wasn't all that impressive when I mashed the gas to the floor. The biggest difference feels right off idle into the lower midrange. The midrange feels flat/dead on the SS. My Ford Lightning feels like it pulls harder from midrange to top. The SS feels more torqey off idle which is weird because the Lightning has less HP but more torque. Figure it would be the other way around.

The Brembo brakes have some stopping power though, lol!

But as much as I'm prideful about the vehicle I drive and would love to say I have a top model Camaro (reason I got the Lightning model F150 over a standard truck) and not have to face the question of "is it a V8" and hear the disappointment when I tell them it's a 6 while my ego gets flattened, I really can't get around how much more I like the ride and comfort and less rugged feel of the 1LT!

And call me crazy, the Boston sound system... I really can't tell that much difference although I wasn't blasting it with the salesmen with me, heh. The stock Camaro sound system does sound so much better than anything Ford had though. I was in a $47,000 Ford Raptor and the sound system sounded like crap compared to my 1LT and wasn't an upgrade over my eight year old Ford at all!

Starting to stray off topic but, I'm really going to have to not let my ego get in the way anymore because deep down to me the 1LT is a superior daily driver, heh. I just love how smooth and comfortable the 1LT is overall and when I mashed the gas in the 2SS it really wasn't all that impressive (but the low end torque off idle was, that's instantly noticeable in both the stick and auto!)

I'm glad to do these test drives and get it out of my system! Originally I was attracted to these new Camaro's for the looks and I got the looks with the RS package. I also got a big surprise with the ride quality and comfort with the 1LT. Very happy with it for a daily driver!

The Camaro team at Chevy you guys did a great job on this head turning car and offering so many trim levels and packages, there's a trim level and package for everybody! And I'm pretty much sure now that I actually got the right trim/package for me the first time around. If only I could convince my ego the same, lol.
Well like I said, before I got my car I drove the V6 and V8 Mustangs and camaros, all manuals. I liked all 4 but did kind of like the V6 ride better than the V8 Camaro...but I also liked the V8 Mustang better than the V6 mustang even the the V6 mustang was a lot quicker than I expected, quicker than the stock v6 camaro. My choice was first the v6 camaro manual because I liked the feel better and I knew it go be a decent 13sec performer with bolt on upgrades. Then I liked the Mustang GT but knew the styling would be changed thinking it would be 2014 so wanted to wait on that. Then I also like the V6 Mustang but again ruled it out because of the upcoming make over. Bottom line is I like my car and have no regrets not getting the SS. Probably would have got the SS though if it were a little faster.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #24
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGracing View Post
It's funny I thought the same thing when I bought my 2SS in 2010 and it's an auto. But, just a few minor mods and a tune and these cars wake up like you can't believe. You need to drive a modified and tuned 2SS and I think you will change your opinion some. The V8 has so much room for improvement too and you can make these cars into pure muscle if so desired. The car grows on you and in the end, you would not regret owning a V8 auto. I love mine and I think it rides incredibly smooth and very solid. Did you drive a brand new car or a used one?

I haven't been in a 1LT to compare, but knowing how much I dig the power of what I have, I would for the opposite reasons you noted, not be happy with a V6...
Actually when I drove the Mustang GT I could tell it was slightly detuned like the SS. They are setup that way as daily drivers for gas mileage. I noticed driving the Mustang you have to step into it to really see the performance. Of course that can be tuned out as it probably already is in the Boss 302. The Challenger SRT8 was setup the same way, drives like a regular car until you step into it. An old 60s big block Muscle car would snap on demand when you goose the throttle but the were getting 11 mpg.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #25
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
My choice was first the v6 camaro manual because I liked the feel better and I knew it go be a decent 13sec performer with bolt on upgrades.

Ok so you are gonna make your car a full second faster and think the whole V6 suspension is gonna cut it? If you want it right you will end up making it more like an SS, have to sacrifice ride for speed.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #26
themoneypit

Drives: 2012 45th convertible ss ls3
the l99 you test drove was probably stuck in low octane mode. dealer prob has cheap gas in it. if you got it, do the 5/20 fuse pull IMMEDIATELY and youll be amazed!! i have a 6spd, but wouldve considered an automatic.

i also had a 1lt vert as a loaner for 3 wks while mine was in the shop. i wasnt impressed with the v6 at all unless i was severely beating on it, but thats cuz im used to the ss. i also like the stiffer ride of the ss, but its not my DD, its a pleasure car.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #27
Storm T
Can't slow down

Drives: 2013 SS Dusk Edition (Insain Bolt)
fuse pull

Sorry to kind of digress but is there a way to tell if a car has this problem? Mine definitely had 87 octane in it. I now have 5k miles on it and might have never experienced all it has to give.

I wouldn't get rid of my SS for anything though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneypit View Post
the l99 you test drove was probably stuck in low octane mode. dealer prob has cheap gas in it. if you got it, do the 5/20 fuse pull IMMEDIATELY and youll be amazed!! i have a 6spd, but wouldve considered an automatic.

i also had a 1lt vert as a loaner for 3 wks while mine was in the shop. i wasnt impressed with the v6 at all unless i was severely beating on it, but thats cuz im used to the ss. i also like the stiffer ride of the ss, but its not my DD, its a pleasure car.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #28
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
OP-- I also preferred the ride of the LT; however, I beefed mine up with SS suspension parts (free takeoffs from people) and it does seem to handle corners a bit better... but there are times I do miss the softer ride!

I don't regret my choice at all, either.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread

Closed Thread