Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
Installing headers using ramps?

Headers will be here tomorrow!

To anyone who has installed headers, will I be able to complete the installation using only ramps? I have jackstands also, but I would need to buy a new jack b/c I know my current jack won't get the car high enough.

By the way these are Kooks Headers w/ cats being bolted up to the factory H-pipe.

2012 2LS - Black A6 (SOLD)

2016 1SS Summit White A8
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
tbyrne

Drives: 1993+1998 Z-28s - past cars
You can usually install headers using ramps if you can safely get the car high enough in the air. I always tell people to be very careful and check everything 2-3 times. I was working on a '93 Camaro in my girlfriend's garage many years ago. The front tires were on ramps in the back of the car was on jackstands. Finished what I was doing, slide the floor jack under the rearend to lift it up. That went fine. Pulled the stands out, lowered the car but the jack was stuck under the muffler. Ok, I figured I'd raise it up, put a stand under one side or wood under the tires to get the jack out. Everything looked fine so I started jacking the car up again. Now, I was crouched down behind the car with the garage door right behind me. I don't even remember thinking but I must have seen my hand move and I just bolted to the left as the front of the car came rolling down off of the ramps with the back of the car still up on the floor jack. The jack's handle went through the garage door where I was just crouched down and the car slammed into the door. It was so close, that as I was moving, the shirt I had on blew in the breeze behind me. It got pinned between the car and the door. I pulled my shirt out, checked to make sure my pants weren't messed and thanked whomever it is that watches out for me, then went outside to turn the handle to lower the car down. I was careful but something stuff happened.

Be safe!
tbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote