Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-28-2015, 09:31 PM   #1
brockjohndro

Drives: 2017 2SS w/ NPP
Stock Tires vs All Season vs Winter/Snow

I have a 2011 2LT RS Yellow Camaro with stock 245/45/20 on the front and 275/45/20 summer tires (Pirelli) in which they're awful obviously in the snow. I am looking to buy 245/45/20 Good Year Eagle GT All Seasons and I was wondering if ill notice much difference in the snow/slush/ice. I don't have the money to buy new snow tires and I can't find any used snow tires to fit. HELP!
brockjohndro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
PZero's are horrible in cold conditions, and for the money, they're not even that great in the warm conditions. I don't ride my car all that hard, but I put on a set of Gmax's and I notice little to no difference in dry performance. However, the difference in cold weather and snow is astounding. We haven't gotten anymore than 3" in a clip this year, but the Gmax's have had no issues. PZero's with 1/2" of snow couldn't back my car into the driveway.

I see you live in Maine. Winter tires are designed for roads constantly coated in snow. I live in Philly where 95+% of the winter roads are bare asphalt. Even if we get 12+ inches in a shot, in a day everything is clear, so asphalt would destroy the tires. For my situation all-season are the way to go, and you just have to accept in 6+ inches of snow you can't go anywhere...but you probably shouldn't, anyway. If your roads are snow covered all winter you really need winter tires.

I hate to sound like "that guy" but if you bought a Camaro as a daily driver in Maine, you really should have factored in tire cost. For you, they're a necessity.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
tritus

Drives: RIP Camaro/ 6g Mustang GT/Hellcat
You can run 245/45/20 on rears with your stock rims its not ideal but will work. Try craigslist or there are plenty of used winter wheel tire packages or just tires on the member classified page here on the forum!
tritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #4
brockjohndro

I know... I shouldn't have bought this as my daily driver but being 17 years old I really didn't think of it at the point of sale. There is a seller selling these rims and tires http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/4814918981.html and they're in NH... We just got 20 inches of snow yesterday and even when the snow on the road goes away in a day, MY residential street is AWFUL and takes 6 days for it to be bare pavement. Grrrrrrrr....
Old 01-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
brockjohndro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritus View Post
You can run 245/45/20 on rears with your stock rims its not ideal but will work. Try craigslist or there are plenty of used winter wheel tire packages or just tires on the member classified page here on the forum!
I searched CL and there are no snow tires in Maine for my size and no packages with tires and rims. :(
Old 01-28-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
tritus

Drives: RIP Camaro/ 6g Mustang GT/Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockjohndro View Post
I searched CL and there are no snow tires in Maine for my size and no packages with tires and rims. :(
As long as the bolt pattern fits you can run 18' or 19' wheel packages too it is better to get a winter wheel set instead of mounting tires on and off every year multiple times.

Do not limit your search to maine. I drove 9 hours one way to pick up a set of wheels with Pirelli Scorpions on them 4 weeks ago.

http://www.searchcraigslist.org/

You can search the entire craigslist database from the link above and hopefully you will find something in a reasonable driving distance.

Search for Pirelli Scorpions or Bridgestone Blizzaks.

Again check the members classified section here there are some good snow tires listed I will link one below!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393015
tritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #7
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Just for emphasis, do not buy all season tires. Buy winter tires. Scorpions or Blizzaks.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:33 AM   #8
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
all seasons are great for areas that get a light snow cover a couple times a year that melts in a day or 2 (like here in southern IL) or people who have to option to just stay home when it snows.

But if you get 20" of snow that lasts for days, you need real snow tires or a winter beater.

The added bonus is you're Pzero's will last much longer and you'll save them for the dry warm pavement they really shine on.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #9
NC_Nole

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393522
NC_Nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:42 PM   #10
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Not sure I understand or agree with the all season hate. They're a middle of the road solution for a reason...

I'm running the stock BFG all seasons and while I wouldn't happily plow through a blizzard with them, they're certainly not so bad I stay home when there's snow on the roads. It's all about knowing how to drive in the snow, taking it slow on hills and turns, and anticipating when you're going to need to stop. Really, just keeping the speed down is the key to all winter travel. Staying home when there's 6+ inches of snow on the roads is probably a good idea even with winter tires.

Been driving 20+ years in sometimes brutal northeast US weather, and never with winter tires. Not one set in a dozen vehicles. I had one 180 spin-around (no damage) when I was in college going to fast on a ramp, otherwise no major issues in the snow over those couple decades.

My point isn't whether there's an advantage using winter tires, but they're not *necessary* (a.k.a critical). You can (and I do) get around without them, every day. The cost of the tires, and likely spare rims to put them on, need to be factored into the decision. If you only get occasional storms like we do, then winters may exceed their cost/benefit. If you live in a snow belt or someplace they don't plow, then of course winter tires may payoff. For most people, we live in population centers. The roads don't stay bad for long. Plowing and salting usually results in clear roads the next day, and sometimes even later the same day (especially if any sun breaks out). I would just think about how often you actually drive or need to drive on snow covered roads. It may not be as often as you think.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
You need snow tires if you live in maine, find the money it has to be in your budget some where your live depends on it.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockjohndro View Post
I know... I shouldn't have bought this as my daily driver but being 17 years old I really didn't think of it at the point of sale. There is a seller selling these rims and tires http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/4814918981.html and they're in NH... We just got 20 inches of snow yesterday and even when the snow on the road goes away in a day, MY residential street is AWFUL and takes 6 days for it to be bare pavement. Grrrrrrrr....
Rims and snow tires for $650? you should have jumped all over that - you live in MAINE! It can snow a lot! You need snow tires!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:01 PM   #13
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
Just for emphasis, do not buy all season tires. Buy winter tires. Scorpions or Blizzaks.
How about that storm this week on the cape you guys almost always get a lot less but really wet snow this time you guys got it almost as bad as us in terms of amount plus 65-75MPH winds you guys got an a$$ whopping.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #14
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
My point isn't whether there's an advantage using winter tires, but they're not *necessary* (a.k.a critical). You can (and I do) get around without them, every day. The cost of the tires, and likely spare rims to put them on, need to be factored into the decision. If you only get occasional storms like we do, then winters may exceed their cost/benefit. If you live in a snow belt or someplace they don't plow, then of course winter tires may payoff. For most people, we live in population centers. The roads don't stay bad for long. Plowing and salting usually results in clear roads the next day, and sometimes even later the same day...
OP implies he gets significant snow and says his street can go six days before the roads are "bare" - I think that justifies snow tires. All-season tires are good enough if streets get cleared every day and accumulations aren't more than 4"-5". In OP's case, I think he needs snow tires.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ice, snow, snowtires, tires