Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 03-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #15
L89

Drives: 68 L89 Camaro, 69 L78 Camaro, 64Imp
shoot. HUD is nice but doesn't seem like its worth thousands of dollars,

how much would installing gauges on a 1LS run me? i think the console gauges are a must. are there different gauges available looking close to stock?

can you include a link?

can you buy console gauges from the dealership?

Last edited by L89; 03-20-2012 at 01:03 PM.
L89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #16
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Ive seen many ppl installing the 4 pack gauges, and Ive seen a couple say that they are just plug and play.

Ive also seen plenty of ppl put in aftermarket hud, but you either have to change out the dash, or take the whole thing of and cut a hole in it, also it seems to be tough to calibrate it so the image is sharp when it projects.

People have also added backup cameras, leather, etc, so really whatever you get can be altered to be what you want, especially if you are willing to drop that much on the engine, trans, and rear end.

Got any pics of the gibson, I have a few and wouldnt buy anything else lol
Old 03-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #17
WCoolBreeze
2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Garnet Tint
It cost Me $460.00- to install the HUD in 2010 2LT/RS, that price include gas and meals.

Walt B.

Gen6, 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Garnet Tint (with Silver Rally Stripes)

Ordered: 2-12-2016
TPW: 3-7-2016
Built: 3-7-2016
VIN 1G1FH78G0157626
Delivered: 4-26-2016
WCoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by L89 View Post
I dont want a used car, period. i dont enjoy being cheap. the SS and "zl1" engines arent as appealing to me as the LS7 and LSX engines.

my plans are to sell my all original numbers matching 64 impala 2door powerglide canadian frame, my vintage gibson les paul, and some bike shit to try to rally up 15-20 thousand.

I built a factory numbers big block first gen, now i really want to build a high horse LS motor to be a street/strip car that can run on 91.

I want to build a motor for a new camaro during the time period of my warranty, once the warranty expires I want to put the new motor, trans, and rear end in.

I'm really starting to like the tall deck big displacement LSX 454, but would want to build it for forced induction, similar to how the lsx 376 is marketed.

I'd like to find out what I can buy from GMPP when buying my new car. What would be the best way to go about building a tall deck LSX for forced induction, not the high compression? and getting the dealer to be the one selling it to me so i can include it on the financing?

my ETA/goal from purchase is 1 month.
Then get the SS and all the extra's you get with it.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
would be a really nice sleeper, maybe start w/ the body/shell purchase, and bulid the car around the motor.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
L89

I TEST DROVE YESTERDAY =) =) =)

i tried a 1LS and a 2SSrs.

I thought the HUD was a absolute must have, until the radio channels and "www.facebook.kellyclarkson.yadda/yadda/yadda" appeared on the windshield...

made me feel sick to my stomach to see facebook on a camaro.

I really liked the 1LS more than the 2SS. the v8 didn't pull hard enough to justify the price tag that seemed to be close to double that of the v6.

it was too bright to notice ambient lighting, and the only must have option for me were those console gauges, but I'd really want to throw some AFR's in there or something. do those trannies give out? trans temp seemed a little odd compared to FIRST GEN's oil pres, fuel, volt, and water temp. still the console gauges are a must have.

The SS's backup cameras were too narrow field of view.

the v6 chirped the tires sufficiently under acceleration.

the steel wheels are growing more and more on me. (their silver rings make them look worse, either red or black on my white car coming)

I'm set on 1LS.

Dublin Chevy in california said they can include GMPP crate engines, and go below MSRP.

i suggested 15 as my down payment, and he said I should try to finance more.

I'm pretty much sold on the 1LS, I just need to learn more about LSX, but I know LSX is the motor I want, just need to figure out the best way to buy one, and what to buy. I need a nice project to work on until warranty expires!!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #21
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Obviously u want a lot of power, but be weary of making a first impression decision on the SS, the nannies, Octane table fuse pull, sport mode setting thing, and break in period have been noted to make a huge difference in the way the car feels, especially when test driving since most of those things are usually affecting the car when its new/ on the lot.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #22
L89

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post

Got any pics of the gibson, I have a few and wouldnt buy anything else lol
its pretty dirty but just because its been played alot since shown. camera pic really sucks but i'm gonna clean it up and post it on the Les Paul forums.

its a 1979-1980 standard, in a really rare ivory white. this paint was common on sg's and flying v's but hardly seen on les pauls. let me know if you know anyone interested.

here's my 64 impala I'm selling, might bring it to pleasanton goodguys this weekend. #'s match 283 2bbl w/powerglide trans. california black plate car, canadian box frame. super reliable and surprisingly good gas mileage for a v8 impala. super clean driver!

Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #23
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:

I thought the HUD was a absolute must have, until the radio channels and "www.facebook.kellyclarkson.yadda/yadda/yadda" appeared on the windshield...

I really liked the 1LS more than the 2SS. the v8 didn't pull hard enough to justify the price tag that seemed to be close to double that of the v6.

it was too bright to notice ambient lighting, and the only must have option for me were those console gauges, but I'd really want to throw some AFR's in there or something. do those trannies give out? trans temp seemed a little odd compared to FIRST GEN's oil pres, fuel, volt, and water temp. still the console gauges are a must have.

the steel wheels are growing more and more on me. (their silver rings make them look worse, either red or black on my white car coming)

I'm set on 1LS.

Dublin Chevy in california said they can include GMPP crate engines, and go below MSRP.

I'm pretty much sold on the 1LS, I just need to learn more about LSX, but I know LSX is the motor I want, just need to figure out the best way to buy one, and what to buy. I need a nice project to work on until warranty expires!!
I'm glad to see that you're happy with the Camaro LS. It's an impressive platform, and it gives you all you need to be basically happy with a Camaro, but I can tell you want more power. I'll get to that in a minute.

Before I discuss upgrading the performance of your LS, let's talk about financing. Your dealer will want you to finance more for 2 reasons: the bank won't finance less than a certain amount, and the dealer makes money on your financing. If you know you're a desirable customer—generally, you have a high credit score—then you should probably see what the bank will give you. I'd take a trip to your bank and set up your financing there. Show up at the dealership with the check your bank gives you.

If you're not a customer with outstanding credit, the LSX plan is going to be more difficult for you. First, you'll need to pay for your new Camaro. The Camaro will probably have high insurance costs, so factor that into your budget. You may not be able to take out a personal loan for the LSX, so have lots of cash available for the engine, which starts around $14k from what I can find. You'll also need to pay for the install and any parts that are necessary for the engine to actually convert to automotive power.

Now that we're back to the engine mod, let's talk about what you'll need to get your car moving under the power of the LSX. Your V6's transmission is not going to bolt to that engine. You need a beefier transmission, and I'm fairly certain that you would be better off getting that from a company that builds race-prepped transmissions. If you're going to such a shop, you might be able to get a discount by purchasing your engine there, too. Buying more parts in one place almost always leads to discounts.

Because you have more power going through your transmission, you're going to need to upgrade the components connecting your transmission to the wheels. You should effectively rip out everything under the car at this point. Your exhaust and headers obviously don't fit, and your suspension isn't going to be adequately converting all of that newfound power to the pavement. That race shop you should have visited in the last paragraph should be able to provide more replacement parts for these, and you should be able to get new axles and a new driveshaft there, too. Don't forget to tune for the upgrades! Besides these parts, you should upgrade your brakes so that you can stop your muscly LS, and I'm sure there are several smaller components that will need replacement along the way.

I'd estimate that your custom LS will cost you up to $25k in extras—an effective doubling of the car's sticker price—to get you to the performance expected of the LSX. That being said, your Camaro will be new, so the parts you're removing may have some resale value, helping you counter at least some of the expense.

While this might be one expensive build, I can tell you that it will be truly custom and worthy of a lot of respect. I hope your modding goes well.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #24
jeremywilson18

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS RS(LSX 454)
Send a message via MSN to jeremywilson18
Quote:

I'm set on 1LS.

The LSX is a very expensive undertaking that requires some other upgrades to run safely. I know from experience
jeremywilson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
L89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilson18 View Post
The LSX is a very expensive undertaking that requires some other upgrades to run safely. I know from experience

can you tell me more?
Old 03-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #26
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Here is my best advice. Take it for what it's worth. Buy a BONE STOCK 1SS. Finance it all. Sell all your toys to pay for the build you have planned. Sell all your stock SS parts you will yank out and resell those for a nice chunk of change and use that cash toward the loan on the base 1ss.

Forget about any warranty right now on anything power train related.

The parts you will yank and sell from a 1ss will easily sell and are way more in demand than V6 parts are. You say you want steelies.. Fine just about any V6 owner on the boards will trade you their brakes and wheels for yours + some cash.

Your going to need a lot of parts for this build to work and for you to be happy with it.

Your going to have to upgrade the driveline and suspension right off or you will have a high horsepower ride that can't get off the line well and keeps breaking stuff.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #27
L89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilson18 View Post

Now that you have your LSX 454 in your camaro,

If you were to do it all over again would you just go for the ZL1?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #28
L89

I think I'm going to liquidate and try to obtain a ZL-1.