Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
Jrad

Drives: 2013 SS LE
Rear end question

Just recently found and joined this forum. Have yet to post picks. I bought a 1LE 1SS summit white this spring. A once in a life time purchase for me. I love the car but had the rear end go out at 2000 miles. The dealership replaced the differential. But i have 2 questions for you more knowledgeable guys. The car's gearing feels higher afterwards(could be in my head since I am really babying it now). I looked up the replacement part online and it just says rear differential but does not say if that includes ring and pinion gears? Hoping they didn't put stock SS gears in. Called the dealership had to leave a message asking what parts. They said differential. Also what is the breakin period for the new rear end? The dealership said 3000 miles. Generic breakin for car in manual. Also mentioned that maybe i didn't break it in right or rear end would not have failed. I admit i got on it a little bit once in awhile(after 1500 miles of break in) but told him it is the same rear end as the ZL1 and should not have failed! Thanks for your help!
Jrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
I seem to recall it is NOT the same diff as the ZL1. It uses the beefier half shafts from the ZL1, but it is the same diff as a normal SS. It just has a different ratio than a normal SS.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
racerx1214

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
3k miles?

I've always just heat cycled the gears (easy drive, let cool, easy drive, let cool) then proceeded to beat the F out of the car. Never once had a problem. Drive your car man, whats the point of buying it to drive it like a grandma.
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
willc1980

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
ZL1 has a 3.73 rear gear i believe, the 1LE is a 3.91, plus the ZL1 has a rear diff cooler
willc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Can you post the part number they installed? That will tell us if you have the correct part. I'm guessing you probably do as the parts department should have entered your cars VIN prior to searching for parts.

The SS/1LE diff is NOT the same as the ZL1 diff. The ZL1 diff is physically larger and will not bolt in without a lot of work.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I seem to recall it is NOT the same diff as the ZL1. It uses the beefier half shafts from the ZL1, but it is the same diff as a normal SS. It just has a different ratio than a normal SS.
This is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc1980 View Post
ZL1 has a 3.73 rear gear i believe, the 1LE is a 3.91, plus the ZL1 has a rear diff cooler
The 1LE has a 218mm ring gear, and the ZL1 has a beefier 250mm ring gear.

Also, if the speedo is accurate, I guarantee that you have the correct ratio. Otherwise they would have had to reprogram the ECM for the different ratio. They would not have done that without noting it on the invoice (tech would want to get paid for the operation).
Old 10-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1214 View Post
3k miles?

I've always just heat cycled the gears (easy drive, let cool, easy drive, let cool) then proceeded to beat the F out of the car. Never once had a problem. Drive your car man, whats the point of buying it to drive it like a grandma.
I agree, do some daily driving for a few hundred miles and then game on. Change the diff oil after 500 miles and you should be good to go.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Just a thought, and I have not been able to drive our car for over a week due to knee surgery, but as I remember, 80 MPH is about 2K RPM. If that is still the same, you have the same rear end gears.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
SteveV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Just a thought, and I have not been able to drive our car for over a week due to knee surgery, but as I remember, 80 MPH is about 2K RPM. If that is still the same, you have the same rear end gears.
On my 1LE, 2000 RPM in 6th gear is 85mph...
Old 10-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #10
Jrad

Drives: 2013 SS LE
Thanks for the info. I am not currently at home so do not have the part number. I will test the car tomorrow on the expressway to match the rpm's in 6th gear. Yeah I bought this car to have fun and I will. It still has 2.5 years under warranty!
Jrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
On my 1LE, 2000 RPM in 6th gear is 85mph...
That is probably be right. I had not drove mine for over a week until last night, and then this morning. I did not take the time to notice. Thanks for giving him the right information.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
SteveV

No problem. My commute on I-40 every morning has me doing 85mph to keep up with traffic. So, I usually shift to 6th to try and save a little fuel.

So, I see that speed and RPM every morning... :-)
Old 10-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
SilverSS1LE

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS A8
does anyone have any insight on how much power the 1le half shafts are rated at?
SilverSS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote