Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Senseless deaths -- what are YOU going to do about it?

NOTE TO Mods....pls leave this posted here -- but feel free to post in other sections as well.....I hope what follows may one day save a life..........

Hannan Road in Canton Township, Michigan is a contradiction in many ways……

There are warehouses --

--there are housing developments --

………..and yet there are also acres and acres of green fields and trees.

The fields and woods give this area a sense of peace.

That peace was shattered earlier this week when 1 young lady and four young men had their lives suddenly ended……all because of what appears to be a disregard for common traffic laws.

Jessica Sadler was only 14 -- she was riding with her friend, Eddie Gross. Joining them were brothers Sean and Terrance Harris. And driving the Black Ford Fusion was 19 year old Dan Broughton.

It was a warm July day -- not too hot, not too cold -- sunny -- a day of promise.

Coming from Pontiac, Michigan -- and traveling at over 60mph was Amtrak #353 -- heading to Chicago with 170 people on board. Many of the passengers had been in Michigan to attend a conference on Blindness -- many of them were, in fact, accompanied by their seeing-eye dogs.

The Norfolk-Southern Tracks intersect with Hannan Road.

A white SUV saw the lights begin to flash -- and the gates to drop -- and thus came to a complete stop.

What will never be known is why the Driver of the Black Ford Fusion decided to ‘blow by’ the white SUV -- at least 20 seconds after the gates had dropped………

The Amtrak engineer was following all protocols -- and of course blew the horn on the engine as required before every grade crossing.

We Camaro Enthusiasts have a good friend, "Turtle" Young.... who is a Railroad Engineer and lives in Austin, TX. He tells me that it’s unbelievable as to how many people try to outrun a train….and barely make it. I can’t imagine what it must do to a Railroad engineer’s adrenalin system each time this happens………..

As fate would have it, a video surveillance camera was operational at a nearby building and captures the horrible moments……..

……..one can see the white SUV stopped --

………..suddenly the black Fusion appears traveling at a high rate of speed……

…………….it swerves around the SUV ……….still moving at a high rate of speed…..

…………..and then there’s the Amtrak train --

…………………and it hits the Fusion squarely in the B-pillar -- carrying it down the tracks for nearly 1,000 yards before the train can come to a complete stop……the Fusion practically ‘welded’ to the front of the train.

…………and you have to ask yourself: “Why is it that intelligent people refuse to pay attention to traffic signs and signals?”

Five young lives snuffed out in an instant.

Four Families grief stricken.

Several communities in shock.

………and I cannot imagine the horror that the Amtrak Engineer has had to endure -- even though he is faultless.

It would be easy to say: “well -- it’s fate”

……..and it would be easy to say “….oh no, more senseless deaths….” -- and then go on with our lives.

---which, of course, brings me to my rant:

People are becoming more and more lax in their driving habits.

I’m tired of seeing people “slow” to 10 miles an hour at stop signs.

(IT SAYS STOP! SO STOP! COMPLETELY!!!)

I’m tired of people blowing thru red lights.

I'm tired of people who have evidently never been formally introduced to the turn signal lever in the car or truck in which they're driving.......

I’m tired of seeing people ‘yammering’ on their cellphones while driving…..

…………and don’t EVEN get me going on those who think it’s their God-given right to ‘text’ while behind the wheel -- or read their mail -- or put on makeup…….

Stop signs and Traffic Lights and Railroad Grade Crossing signs ARE NOT SUGGESTIONS!!!!

It’s time for us (…that’s you and me…) to lead by example.

It’s time for us to call others out for their bad behavior. (and don’t try to tell me that you or anyone else is capable of talking on a cell-phone and driving at the same time….I’ll bury you with facts and video!)

I was walking out of a Kroger Store this evening with my arms full of groceries…..

Luckily I’ve learned to look both ways -- even on a one-way street --

…….because sure enough -- a Lexus SUV was coming into the parking lot THE WRONG WAY on a one-way street…the driver ‘yammering away’ on his cell-phone.

I called out: “YOU’RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!…”

(…………no, I did not use the word ‘ass’…..)

The Driver of said SUV gave me the finger………..

What happened next was absolutely priceless:

A woman who appeared to be in her 70s marched over to the SUV and proceeded to tear this guy apart verbally…….. And as she did, several people applauded her…..(me being one of them…)

So -- how ‘bout it?

Are you tired of reading about senseless deaths and injuries due to negligence?

It starts with us. (…….that’s you and me…….)

Speak up!

Talk to your children!

Talk to your nieces and nephews and neighbors!

..but do NOT think that it’s an ‘age’ thing.

People in their 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s are just as bad if not worse!

So call people out!

You MAY just save a life.......

It starts with us.....

……and that’s you and me…
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
McGruff

Drives: 98 Saturn
Well said.
McGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
a Lexus SUV was coming into the parking lot THE WRONG WAY on a one-way street
Explains everything.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
and

As car enthusiasts it is our duty to lead by example...because everyone else just looks at it as an appliance.
(and how many appliances do you actually read the instruction book for?)
Old 07-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
manchimp

Drives: 2010 CGM 2ss
Great post! I tell my kids that my pet peeves about no signals and rolling stops and no texting are not just about rudeness, but about safety and saving lives. I hope they get it. As someone who just got nailed last night in my new Camaro by someone who ran a red light, I couldn't agree more with what you said. We should all lead by example.
manchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Agreed.. and I am guilty of that second part. Recently I've begun to find myself texting while driving. I never did it before but now it's happening more with alarming frequency. I think it's the fact that the whole internet thing has made communication a priority over everything else..

I can say this though, scott. After hearing what almost happened to you in that grocery store parking lot I feel it is my duty to a fellow concerned camaro enthusiast, friend, and fellow Michigander that I hang up that phone for good in the truck and just concentrate on driving.

Michigan State highway may not give a crap.. but I think that we need to in their stead. Because if the keepers of the peace don't care.. then who will?
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
Betro02

Drives: Powerful
This was great and just like you said its not an age thing I have seen a lot and I mean a lot of older drivers talking, texting and doing god knows what while driving. Also my prayers go to the families of the four teenagers that died on that terrible crash with the Amtrak train.
Betro02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
Very sad, my regards to all the family members of the kids.

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
JewelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
I agree 100%, but there is no way people are going to stop doing stupid things. We've tried making laws to end stupidity, but people still talk on their phones, text, and all of those things. If you have time to call someone out on things like that, they'll just feel guilty and bad for that incident. I guess I'm being pessimistic. Maybe that's the problem.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
sheslc4
UTAH CAMAROS

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Send a message via ICQ to sheslc4 Send a message via Yahoo to sheslc4
Well said!!

It is just plain common sense that is lacking these days.
Think before you act.
sheslc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:31 PM   #11
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheslc4 View Post
Well said!!

It is just plain common sense that is lacking these days.
Think before you act.
I may sound heartless with this post, but it's true. With over 6 billion people on this planet..

Mr. Darwin; the human race is here to see you now.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #12
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
great post! and
Old 07-10-2009, 11:42 PM   #13
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
NOTE TO Mods....pls leave this posted here -- but feel free to post in other sections as well.....I hope what follows may one day save a life..........

Hannan Road in Canton Township, Michigan is a contradiction in many ways……

There are warehouses --

--there are housing developments --

………..and yet there are also acres and acres of green fields and trees.

The fields and woods give this area a sense of peace.

That peace was shattered earlier this week when 1 young lady and four young men had their lives suddenly ended……all because of what appears to be a disregard for common traffic laws.

Jessica Sadler was only 14 -- she was riding with her friend, Eddie Gross. Joining them were brothers Sean and Terrance Harris. And driving the Black Ford Fusion was 19 year old Dan Broughton.

It was a warm July day -- not too hot, not too cold -- sunny -- a day of promise.

Coming from Pontiac, Michigan -- and traveling at over 60mph was Amtrak #353 -- heading to Chicago with 170 people on board. Many of the passengers had been in Michigan to attend a conference on Blindness -- many of them were, in fact, accompanied by their seeing-eye dogs.

The Norfolk-Southern Tracks intersect with Hannan Road.

A white SUV saw the lights begin to flash -- and the gates to drop -- and thus came to a complete stop.

What will never be known is why the Driver of the Black Ford Fusion decided to ‘blow by’ the white SUV -- at least 20 seconds after the gates had dropped………

The Amtrak engineer was following all protocols -- and of course blew the horn on the engine as required before every grade crossing.

We Camaro Enthusiasts have a good friend, "Turtle" Young.... who is a Railroad Engineer and lives in Austin, TX. He tells me that it’s unbelievable as to how many people try to outrun a train….and barely make it. I can’t imagine what it must do to a Railroad engineer’s adrenalin system each time this happens………..

As fate would have it, a video surveillance camera was operational at a nearby building and captures the horrible moments……..

……..one can see the white SUV stopped --

………..suddenly the black Fusion appears traveling at a high rate of speed……

…………….it swerves around the SUV ……….still moving at a high rate of speed…..

…………..and then there’s the Amtrak train --

…………………and it hits the Fusion squarely in the B-pillar -- carrying it down the tracks for nearly 1,000 yards before the train can come to a complete stop……the Fusion practically ‘welded’ to the front of the train.

…………and you have to ask yourself: “Why is it that intelligent people refuse to pay attention to traffic signs and signals?”

Five young lives snuffed out in an instant.

Four Families grief stricken.

Several communities in shock.

………and I cannot imagine the horror that the Amtrak Engineer has had to endure -- even though he is faultless.

It would be easy to say: “well -- it’s fate”

……..and it would be easy to say “….oh no, more senseless deaths….” -- and then go on with our lives.

---which, of course, brings me to my rant:

People are becoming more and more lax in their driving habits.

I’m tired of seeing people “slow” to 10 miles an hour at stop signs.

(IT SAYS STOP! SO STOP! COMPLETELY!!!)

I’m tired of people blowing thru red lights.

I'm tired of people who have evidently never been formally introduced to the turn signal lever in the car or truck in which they're driving.......

I’m tired of seeing people ‘yammering’ on their cellphones while driving…..

…………and don’t EVEN get me going on those who think it’s their God-given right to ‘text’ while behind the wheel -- or read their mail -- or put on makeup…….

Stop signs and Traffic Lights and Railroad Grade Crossing signs ARE NOT SUGGESTIONS!!!!

It’s time for us (…that’s you and me…) to lead by example.

It’s time for us to call others out for their bad behavior. (and don’t try to tell me that you or anyone else is capable of talking on a cell-phone and driving at the same time….I’ll bury you with facts and video!)

I was walking out of a Kroger Store this evening with my arms full of groceries…..

Luckily I’ve learned to look both ways -- even on a one-way street --

…….because sure enough -- a Lexus SUV was coming into the parking lot THE WRONG WAY on a one-way street…the driver ‘yammering away’ on his cell-phone.

I called out: “YOU’RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!…”

(…………no, I did not use the word ‘ass’…..)

The Driver of said SUV gave me the finger………..

What happened next was absolutely priceless:

A woman who appeared to be in her 70s marched over to the SUV and proceeded to tear this guy apart verbally…….. And as she did, several people applauded her…..(me being one of them…)

So -- how ‘bout it?

Are you tired of reading about senseless deaths and injuries due to negligence?

It starts with us. (…….that’s you and me…….)

Speak up!

Talk to your children!

Talk to your nieces and nephews and neighbors!

..but do NOT think that it’s an ‘age’ thing.

People in their 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s are just as bad if not worse!

So call people out!

You MAY just save a life.......

It starts with us.....

……and that’s you and me…
Well just a suggestion Scott, why not make bluetooth standard in all vehicles from 2010 and on. People should be using their bluetooth systems in their car or a wireless bluetooth headset, which is what I use all the time. The bluetooth feature in the Gen 5 is priceless. Absolutely amazing, as it is safe! The new GM should really play up this feature and insurance companies should offer discounts for it if it takes off. Too many people with one hand on their cell phone and the other on the wheel. Tired of this crap!
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #14
BlueMarlin
phi alpha

Drives: 2005 GMC Envoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
great post! and
^2?

I know in lousiana, the cost of installing the crossing gates at all the railroad tracks outweighs the settlements to the victim's families...

pretty messed up.