Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Modifying your Autocal for Serial Wideband use (EFI Live)

Hello all! I just modified my Autocal to work with a serial wideband so you can read wideband/AFR and datalog for your tuner to get better information.

This WILL void your warranty on your autocal...but...what do we care about warranties around here?

The Autocal will only accept serial inputs, but takes some modifying to work, as it is not natively able to do so. however it does have the contacts inside to make it work.

For this, you will need the following:
Serial RS292-DB9 FEMALE soldered connector

18-22ga multistranded wire

Drill bit or small round file

Soldering iron with fine tip

Silver solder

no. 1 Phillips screwdriver

patience and a steady hand.

So, here is your Autocal.

Here is the backside of the autocal. You will need to use your screwdriver to pull all 5 screws out, and put aside. Do not lose them.

When you open up the Autocal, this is what you will see (minus the red and black wires coming out. Those are what you are adding.

To pull the board out of the Autocal enclosure, you will need to squeeze the top of the autocal just a bit and pull the board straight up and out.

Once it is out, you will see RX, TX, VCC, RD and Ground. We will be using RX and Ground. Do NOT attach anything that would put power to the Autocal here. Nothing other than RX and Ground wires.

I used about 6" of red and black wire. Go as long as you want. The longer, the more room you have. Wrap the wire around itself, tin the tip, then insert into the holes/contacts on the GROUND and RX location. Use a FINE TIP soldering iron, and melt the solder on the contacts. When the solder starts flowing remove the soldering iron. You are done here.

Do not get solder across the other contacts. That will cause a short, and could potentially ruin the Autocal.

Next you need to modify the enclosure for the wires to escape without pinching.

Next is the wiring on the serial connector

Again, tin the wire, tin the contact, yada yada.

Once you are satisfied with your wiring, you can sleeve the wiring for a nice clean look, or leave it naked.

Once you are done with that, put the cover on the serial connector, and you are done with the Autocal!

I can provide this service if you are worried about doing this on your own. Just shoot me a PM and we can discuss.

I have this setup for Serial logging with my Innovate LC2 Wideband. As long as your wideband has a serial out, you should be golden.

All that is left is setting up Efilive and the Autocal software for reading.

Happy logging!

Again, contact me if you are not wanting to do the modification yourself. I can do it for a small fee.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #2
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
Thank you Derek!! Sticky time
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
derek1387

And now that you have your Autocal wired up for a serial Wideband…you need to program it to look for the AFR/Wideband signal!

Here is how to do it in EFILive V8.

First, you will connect your Autocal with the USB cable to your computer. Then you will open up EFILive Scan and Tune, and click the Autocal icon in the bottom right corner to make sure it is connected and ready. You should see a green check mark. Once you have done that, click on Devices

Once you have clicked on Devices, you will see all the settings of your actual Autocal.
Click on Serial I/O, then change the Com Port to Wideband, and change the wideband at the bottom to your brand/model. If its not listed, there are ways around that. Contact me for details, or your tuner. When you have chosen those settings, click PROGRAM. That actually programs the Autocal with your settings. If you do not do this, the settings will not be saved.

Close that window, and you will be back to the home page of EFI Live. Click on BBX. This is the actual “logging” portion/settings of your autocal.

Here is the BBX Screen. Step 1, click Read. That will load BBX with the settings/parameters that are currently on your Autocal. Then, for Step 2, choose your ECM/Controller. For our purposes, (Camaro LFX) it will be marked E39. Make sure you highlight/check mark E39. Once you highlight your ECM (E39) the box below will populate your PIDS that are selected to be read on your Autocal. This is where you can see what is actually selected on your Autocal to be read.

Next, the box on the bottom right, you will search for Wide Band. You will see the proper things we need show up under Digital External Digital/Serial PID’s. What you will want is Wide band #1 Lambda, and Wide Band #1 AFR. Highlight both of these, then click the Green Arrow.

Once you see those in your PID list on your autocal on the left side of the screen, click Program. This again, programs these settings to your Autocal.

You have now setup your Autocal to read serial Wide Band AFR readings! Make your tuner happy and get better tuning results, from here on out!

Thanks for checking this out
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

Old 05-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #4
Shawno72

Again, awesome job. I'll be installing and modifying this on Saturday
Overkill tune/E85/80mm•CAI cold air intake w/my custom maf tube•Apex air scoop•JacFab ported intake/Extendolater•Vitesse•EE EX2 catch can•Innovate wideband•ARH HFC's•NPP exhaust•11386 xpipe•Brembos/cross drilled/slotted rotors•SS M/C•Pfadt 1.25 springs•1LE struts/sways/strut tower brace•BMR diff bush, trail arms/bush, adj toe links•My custom Tunnel brace•Hurst short throw shifter•JDP stage 1 clutch res•1LE steering wheel, shift boot•ZL1 rear diffuser/splash guards•GM splitter•Z/28 grille/flowtie/spoiler/wheels•GM performance pedals•"Chevrolet" door sills•10" Kicker sub•BigWorm overlays
Old 05-31-2016, 04:04 AM   #5
derek1387

bumping this up one more time
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 06-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Sticky this!

Damn nice job!

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #7
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Nice work, Just one stupid question here, I thought you could read a wideband using EFI Live, is that not the case? OR is this similar to what HPT does, have a standard and pro version where unless you log your AFR through your AC input, which means that basically only you can read your data logs, that you have to buy pro?
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #8
Shawno72

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Sticky this!

Damn nice job!

-Don
X2 and then you can add a cool afr gauge.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:32 PM   #9
derek1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
Nice work, Just one stupid question here, I thought you could read a wideband using EFI Live, is that not the case? OR is this similar to what HPT does, have a standard and pro version where unless you log your AFR through your AC input, which means that basically only you can read your data logs, that you have to buy pro?

Efilive does allow you to if you have the Flashscan tool. If you don't have the flashscan and you have the Autocal, then this is what you need to do to be able to datalog AFR with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 08-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #10
derek1387

bump
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 08-06-2016, 03:41 AM   #11
Shawno72

Bump in powa once you dial in your enrichment