Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
gearhead440

Drives: Yellow 2SS, 6 speed manual
Dyno results

))

Last edited by gearhead440; 06-06-2014 at 12:11 PM. Reason: data is questionable
gearhead440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead440 View Post
The complete thread is located here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82034

This is an excerpt and a copy of my dyno runs on the Total Performance dyno in Monroe, NC, just east of Charlotte, NC.

With dyno conditions of 96Fg, 13% humidity, max stock numbers were: 362hp, 365 ft-lbs. I realize that others have gotten numbers in the 370’s but this is what we received.

Swapping out a K&N air filter that mates to the stock air box, P/N 33-2434, and New Era Performance tube that mates to the stock air box: 370hp, 361 ft-lbs. 8hp increase, torque apparently slipped slightly at max. Combined cost: $145, cost per hp: $18.13 / hp.

Swapping stock plug wires for Granatelli plug wires, P/N 28-1811S: 381hp, 364 ft-lbs. 11hp increase, max torque still around where we started on initial run but torque increase throught the rpm band. Yes, we gained a solid 11hp by changing out the spark plug wires and I can honestly say that everyone there was surprised and pleased at the gains. Cost (from Summit Racing): $130, cost per hp: $11.82 / hp.

Total increase from stock: 19hp, max torque remained the same but the average torque and hp (area under the curve) were increased noticably (~ 15 ft-lbs) across the usable rpm band.

Total cost: $275, cost per hp: $14.47 / hp.

We increased power by 19hp and torque by approximately 15 ft-lbs across the rpm band with our bolt-ons. We can really tell a difference in the sound and performance of the car and are extremely happy with our results and that is what matters the most to us, regardless of the numbers .
I am certainly not here to rain on your Parade or Pop your balloons, but you can NOT do comparison with one pull for each change, you must do 3 to 4 pulls for each condition to verify repeatability.

Your baseline numbers are low due to the fact that you only did one pull,
LS3 cars consistently make between 372 and 378 RWHP fully warmed up, and I stress Fully Warmed up, 195 degrees water temp and 200 degrees Oil temp.

There is 10 hp in the oil temp alone.

I also See Torque dips in your curve this indicates the Knock sensor pulling timing probably due to bad fuel giving inconsistent readings.

I believe that the gains you saw were about 5 RWHP given all my experience with LS3 Camaros and that came from the New Era Tube and NOT the Wires.

Spark Plug Wires don't make HP unless the old ones are BAD, same goes for spark plugs.

Here is what I suggest you do to know for sure.

Do 5 Pulls making sure you get 2 back to back Identical runs with the stock wires then do the same with the aftermarket wires then repeat with the stock wires and tell me what you get.

Stock LS3 with the New Era tube will Make 381 RWHP with Nothing Else this is a fact.

I am sorry but the internet is full of this kind of Poor Data Collection just to sell product to unsuspecting individuals.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Longhorn SS

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro SSRS L99
yeah, what he said. Seriously, Ted showed this to be conclusively true when doing his CAI tests. I hope you're right, but I doubt it.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - Roto-Fab CAI, ARH 1-3/4" LTs w/cats, LMR tune, KW V3 coilovers, Pfadt F&R sway bars, end links, rear trailing arms, tie rods, solid subframe bushings, HPS brake pads
Longhorn SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
gearhead440

After 2 hours in traffic at 95F temps just to get to the dyno, I would imagine that the car was as warmed up as it would ever get but I certainly not the expert in this field. I noticed the dips also and had 93 octane in the tank. I suppose I can use a different gas station than the one I normally use and see if that makes a difference.

There is no rain on my parade - I don't have a king's ransom invested in anything I've done to the car and there are great folks here who lend advise and encouragement. Regardless if it is plug wires and pipe or delta rays from the warp reactor, we still love the power of this car and the number is not what matters the most to us, it is the fun factor !

Thanks again,
GH

Last edited by gearhead440; 06-06-2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
STORMTROOPER

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS 2018 ABM ZL1
we still love the power of this car and the number is not what matters the most to us, it is the fun factor !

When its all said and done that's all the really matter's

TED,
Thanks just for being a part of this site and responding to all the questions and offering all the help that you continue to do. The fun factor of this car is great and I think having this site and people like you and many others adds to the fun factor ten fold.
STORMTROOPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead440 View Post
After 2 hours in traffic at 95F temps just to get to the dyno, I would imagine that the car was as warmed up as it would ever get but I certainly not the expert in this field. I noticed the dips also and had 93 octane in the tank. I suppose I can use a different gas station than the one I normally use and see if that makes a difference.

We did three back to back pulls with the stock wires and then did 2 pulls with the aftermarket wires. We did do 2 pulls with the new wires installed, but I didn't mention the first run results because we forgot to connect the computer sensor wire to the spark plug wire - third pull on the graph with no torque value. We broke one stock wire so I'll have to come up with one but I am already planning to take your advise, Ted, and see what the data says. Thanks for your valuable input and I'll post what I have as soon as I get more dyno time. If I understand what you are saying correctly, do 3 dyno runs with stock wires, 3 dyno runs with after market wires, then do 3 final pulls with stock wires, all else remains the same, and compare the results.

There is no rain on my parade - I don't have a king's ransom invested in anything I've done to the car and there are great folks here who lend advise and encouragement. Regardless if it is plug wires and pipe or delta rays from the warp reactor, we still love the power of this car and the number is not what matters the most to us, it is the fun factor !

Thanks again,
GH
I am Really Glad you didn't get defensive and accepted the post as I intended to be educational.

Correct on the Testing proceedure.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
se7en

Drives: 10 Procharged SS
Dyno sheet: "STD" numbers may also be slightly different with an "SAE"
10 Camaro: Built 376, LSA Heads, BTR valve train and Stage III Camshaft. F1A 12 Rib-3.75 pulley (17psi), Squash Dual Fuel System with Return (Dual Walbro 450LPH on a Hobbs Switch), Aeromotive regulator, Holley Fuel Rails, ID1300's. RMVB 4L80, 4K Stall, and Trans-brake. 9" IRS, 3.50 gears with a full spool
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
thanks ted and jannetty for being on the forum.i always look forward to your input on these threads.i have learned a lot from you.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
SK360
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
lol.... as was previously said you gained nothing from plug wires.

Also get those graphs in SAE correction not STD.
SK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
gearhead440

Knowledge is power, truth is unerring and education is fundamental to enlightenment. Those who do not learn from their mistakes are destined to repeat them.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
well said!

Let me know when you get additional results and based on that new info, I may be interested in new wires, although I couldn't locate a 2010 Camaro SS application for them on the web.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #12
topgun1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
lol.... as was previously said you gained nothing from plug wires.

Also get those graphs in SAE correction not STD.
Isn't STD the hp and tq data in part based on the particular atmospheric conditions at that exact time the dyno was performed? If that is the case, that to me would be a more accurate representation of power but on the other hand, it's my understanding that SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers for other readers' benefit) is simply a formula for standardization of hp and tq numbers across the board, but does this standardize to certain atmospheric conditions?

that day it was 95-96 degrees and humid. those #'s should increase on a cooler, less humid day theoretically.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
Old 05-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #13
Bear2SS

Drives: Soon to be 2013 ZL1
Hey guys - I went back to Total Performance early this morning (was about 70) which is 20 degrees cooler than when we were all there. I pulled 560, a pickup of 40 hp. Nothing was different other than the car was cooler and the air temps were cooler. I'd suggest in future to organize another dyno day around cooler weather. Just my 2 cents. Thanks Thomas!
Bear2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #14
topgun1

heck yeah Barry! Nice #! I knew with cooler temps and lower humidity you'd pull more! We should all too. By the time I get back there, every day will pretty much be 90s and high humidity!

unfortunately it's hard to predict the weather in enough advance to give folks ample time to plan to go and with the summer approaching it may be a while before we get a cooler day again.