Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
VictoryRed08

Drives: 08 Cobalt LT2,
Making the Camaro as Fuel Efficient as can be

Hey Guys,

Fuel efficiency is big nowadays and everyone likes saving a buck or two here and there (i sure do). With the camaro, what steps do you see taking to make it just that much better on gas?

Now not only can we make our car more efficient, we can also make it that much more powerful! I would get a good CAI (i recommend K&N, gives you about an extra day or two to your daily commute and helps reduce wear on your engine) and a good catback exhaust system. Those fuel injector cleaner things are good every month or so are good. Keep an eye on your tires! Having proper tire pressure can improve your MPG substantially.

I'm not sure if replacing your exhaust headers would improves fuel efficiency, i've never done it before, but i could assume so.

What else will/do you us?
VictoryRed08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
I am probably gonna spring for the GM performance COI, just because if it is dealer installed it won't void your warranty. And lately the dealers have been cracking down on K and N's cause they say the oil coated filter messes up your MAF or something. I have a couple buddies who had the unfortunate news that their engine warranties were kinda 'under probation,' like if any problem that the dealer determined was due to the Intake system, the bill was theirs.
Not sure if my local dealer is just a dink, but before I plop down 50 grand on my camaro, I am checking if a $400 intake will blow my warranty. Besides, I am getting a 6.2 litre motor with 420 hp. For the first little while until my lead foot is satisfied, I probably won't have great gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
the oil has been known to cause problems with the MAF sensors.

Quote:
gives you about an extra day or two to your daily commute and helps reduce wear on your engine
what?

as for some tips for gas mileage...

http://www.carbibles.com/gasmileage.html
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
LS1_Alex

Drives: Firebird Formula
I'd go trade it in for a cobalt.
LS1_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
5 inch wide tires and a twin turbo and tires
+ high gears
Old 12-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
I'm going to get out and push it from place to place.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
...but before I plop down 50 grand on my camaro...

What kind of Camaro are you buying that I don't know about that's going to run you $50k

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
What kind of Camaro are you buying that I don't know about that's going to run you $50k
a Z28....
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
You're probably not going to like this answer, but the way to make your Camaro as fuel-efficient as possible is to drive it like a grandmother.

And that might not really be as bad as it sounds. When driving in the suburbs or moderate traffic, with cops, pedestrians, idiot drivers, and other hazards all over the place, as many of us do for the majority of our driving/commuting time, there's often not really much opportunity to mash the gas pedal safely - especially in one of the most powerful vehicles on the road!

So, on road conditions when there are a lot of people around, you might as well just blend in (as much as possible in a 400 hp car with rally stripes), shift early, and use a minimum amount of throttle, and this will get you your best city mileage. It's also been demonstrated in numerous tests that using the electronic speed control (cruise control) will get you the best mileage. I use mine all the time, even in town when the speed limit is 25 - it keeps me from creeping up to 45 or so without really noticing it, and it gets better mileage at the same time.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #10
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
I live in Canada, so with taxes in and destination and all the fees, my 2ss RS pkg is costing me $49,118. Dang you Americans and your sweet prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Maximizing fuel economy is the same for just about any car. Easy on the gas, use cruise control, draft behind trucks, avoid using the brakes, keep tires inflated, remove any excess weight. This is all free.

After that, help it breath a bit better (intake and exhaust), replacing fluids with royal purple is supposed to help too, get a programmer, superchargers and turbochargers are know to improve efficiency (as long as you stay off the gas). Thats all I can think of for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1_Alex View Post
I'd go trade it in for a cobalt.
He already has an 08 Cobalt . . .
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:13 PM   #12
DntWrryBeHappy21
Patiently Waiting...

Drives: whatevers in the driveway atm
Send a message via AIM to DntWrryBeHappy21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
You're probably not going to like this answer, but the way to make your Camaro as fuel-efficient as possible is to drive it like a grandmother.

And that might not really be as bad as it sounds. When driving in the suburbs or moderate traffic, with cops, pedestrians, idiot drivers, and other hazards all over the place, as many of us do for the majority of our driving/commuting time, there's often not really much opportunity to mash the gas pedal safely - especially in one of the most powerful vehicles on the road!

So, on road conditions when there are a lot of people around, you might as well just blend in (as much as possible in a 400 hp car with rally stripes), shift early, and use a minimum amount of throttle, and this will get you your best city mileage. It's also been demonstrated in numerous tests that using the electronic speed control (cruise control) will get you the best mileage. I use mine all the time, even in town when the speed limit is 25 - it keeps me from creeping up to 45 or so without really noticing it, and it gets better mileage at the same time.

well in the suburbs it would be a great way to show off

One day....
DntWrryBeHappy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #13
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aston70 View Post
When I bought my 97 silverado (used) it had a K&N filter in it. I had to replace the MAF sensor last year. I don't know for a fact if the filter caused it, but I kinda wonder if it did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
the oil has been known to cause problems with the MAF sensors.
only if it's been over-oiled. i've had an AirAid filter on my truck for a year & the only time it threw a code was when i first put it on (because of the new influx of air). as far as easy bolt-ons go - a CAI, free-flowing exhaust, & engine tune are the best ways to go (on top of easy throttle, less weight, etc)
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote