Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 12-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Quick

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th
ZL1 exhaust

This may be a stupid question but i'm a newbee.What exhaust will be on the zl1 that can make 580 horsepower,stand up under a supercharger and be 50 states legal?

Something wicked this way cometh...
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
it's a dual mode exhaust. Quiet while in the city and then loud while on the track
Old 12-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Basically a redesigned corvette exhaust.

Edit: and since it's dual mode I suggest doing the mild to wild mod, since it prob won't be available when the ZL1 is finally released I'm pulling the fuse at the dealership before I even pull out. Talk about leaving a lasting impression!
Old 12-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Found this on the dual mode for the Vette ...

Exhaust Tail Pipe Flow Control System Description and Operation

The Exhaust Flow Control (EFC) System enhances engine performance. The system has 2 modes of operation:

• Normal
• Competition

Normal Mode

When the vehicle is stationary with the engine running the exhaust flow control module (EFCM) commands the vacuum solenoid On, which supplies engine vacuum to both exhaust flow control valves. This causes the valves to close, diverting exhaust flow through a baffled path inside the mufflers. As vehicle speed increases, throttle position reaches 25 percent or greater and engine speed reaches 3500 RPM, the EFCM commands the vacuum solenoid off. This causes the valves to open, diverting exhaust flow through an un-baffled path inside the mufflers, thus enhancing engine performance.

Competition Mode

When traction control is driver disabled, vehicle speed increases, throttle position reaches 25 percent or greater and engine speed reaches 3000 RPM, the EFCM commands the vacuum solenoid off. This causes the valves to open; diverting exhaust flow through an un-baffled path inside the mufflers more frequently and at lower engine speeds.

The system also delays exhaust valve activity during wide-open throttle acceleration to inhibit exhaust valve actuation when the accelerator pedal is released and reapplied while shifting gears.

The EFCM has the ability to detect electrical malfunctions within the system. Any electrical malfunction detected will cause the system to be disabled and increased exhaust audibility.

The system uses the engine control module (ECM), body control module (BCM), electronic brake control module (EBCM), EFCM, exhaust flow control valve vacuum solenoid, vacuum reservoir, vacuum lines, 2 exhaust flow control valves and the serial data circuit to perform the system functions.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Found this on the dual mode for the Vette ...

Exhaust Tail Pipe Flow Control System Description and Operation

The Exhaust Flow Control (EFC) System enhances engine performance. The system has 2 modes of operation:

• Normal
• Competition

Normal Mode

When the vehicle is stationary with the engine running the exhaust flow control module (EFCM) commands the vacuum solenoid On, which supplies engine vacuum to both exhaust flow control valves. This causes the valves to close, diverting exhaust flow through a baffled path inside the mufflers. As vehicle speed increases, throttle position reaches 25 percent or greater and engine speed reaches 3500 RPM, the EFCM commands the vacuum solenoid off. This causes the valves to open, diverting exhaust flow through an un-baffled path inside the mufflers, thus enhancing engine performance.

Competition Mode

When traction control is driver disabled, vehicle speed increases, throttle position reaches 25 percent or greater and engine speed reaches 3000 RPM, the EFCM commands the vacuum solenoid off. This causes the valves to open; diverting exhaust flow through an un-baffled path inside the mufflers more frequently and at lower engine speeds.

The system also delays exhaust valve activity during wide-open throttle acceleration to inhibit exhaust valve actuation when the accelerator pedal is released and reapplied while shifting gears.

The EFCM has the ability to detect electrical malfunctions within the system. Any electrical malfunction detected will cause the system to be disabled and increased exhaust audibility.

The system uses the engine control module (ECM), body control module (BCM), electronic brake control module (EBCM), EFCM, exhaust flow control valve vacuum solenoid, vacuum reservoir, vacuum lines, 2 exhaust flow control valves and the serial data circuit to perform the system functions.
One just have to hope that all those Ms do work well together .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
PsychoKinetic

Drives: 1967 Camaro RS/SS - 2008 Impala SS
That's some excellent information. Thank you.
PsychoKinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
Johnny1

Drives: Would only drive GM
Would this be like the exhaust on the Z06 Corvette? If so I found a kit for this guy that has one that you had this hand held remote and a couple simple bolt on gadgets you attached to the exhaust pipes at the back where they opened and shut. And at any time even just sitting idling you can push remote button and all pipes open up. Or push again to go back to normal with two closed. Makes it sound fantastic around town when all four open. He loves it.
Johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
^^^

For me I don't plan on messing with this car, gonna leave every thing stock. If I want to mess with stuff, that's what I still have the SS for.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1 View Post
Would this be like the exhaust on the Z06 Corvette? If so I found a kit for this guy that has one that you had this hand held remote and a couple simple bolt on gadgets you attached to the exhaust pipes at the back where they opened and shut. And at any time even just sitting idling you can push remote button and all pipes open up. Or push again to go back to normal with two closed. Makes it sound fantastic around town when all four open. He loves it.
yeah it will be the same. there will be mild to wild kits for them I am sure soon.

there is a fuse you could litterally wire in a switch yourself to just be able to turn it on and off. the system is real simple many peopel pull the fuse I would just wire in a little toggle switch to disable it 99% of the time as the mild to wild kits cost more $$$. the mild to wild kit has it own fob and can be programed to homelink visors as well.

the one on my Z06 (07) sucked. it was way to quite even with the fuse pulled. Guys will open up the mufflers and mod them to make it a bit louder by clamps on perforated tube in the muffler. I just ditched them and went borla. Borla sounds better IMO than the factory dual mode but it does have some drone. Have a friend with a B&B fusion which is there answer to the dual mode and works with the mild to wild setup as well.

the clip of the the ZL1 exhaust on Youtube is not too bad. If you listen to it and then a Z06 you will notice a huge volume difffernce. the grand sport dual mode is louder than my Z06 was.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
Rice Killer
Cooter

Drives: my wife crazy
I plan to keep stock axle back exhaust but get headers w/ high flow cats. That should open her up and make it a little louder but I will still have the dual mode exhaust to stay quieter, if I choose.

I love the concept of dual mode exhaust.
#1451 - 2012 ZL1 - White, Black Wheels, Manual, Suede Package, and Exposed Hood Insert. Delivered on 6/20/12. Thanks to Jason from Symdon Motors in Evansville, WI.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #11
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Rather have loud all the time, lol.
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
Dan83

Drives: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
So, electronics aside, would the exhaust system fit the chassis of a regular SS? Including headers and cats.
I'm not too fussed about the dual mode exhaust, I just want a good sound and flow.
The problem in Spain is that aftermarket exhausts are illegal unless approved by the government (which there are none of), or if it's OEM. So my only real option would be the ZL1.
Plus I must admit, it sounds awesome!

Last edited by Dan83; 12-23-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Dan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #13
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Mild to wild...

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #14
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
long tube headers and better sounding exhaust are in my program. The stock ZL1 exhaust is too pop and fart. It sounds like glass backs with the back fires etc. I will probably upgrade to flowmaster.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote