Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-19-2007, 07:22 AM   #15
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
I think the Silverado SS was a nice package too. It just wasn't executed "completely". The Lightning had a lot more power, but the SS had the advantage of AWD...meaning broader market appeal. I think Chevy should use that big Caddy engine that puts out over 400HP, keep the AWD, and the performance suspension to create a "from the factory" sport truck.

Maybe this should have been stated differently....maybe it isn't that they should use the SS badging as often, rather they should use the SS mindset to create an option package (upgraded power, performance suspension, wheels/tires, etc) for all the cars across the lineup. Do like BMW and Mercedes do and upcharge a lot for it. It would still sell, but that way not every Cobalt, Equinox, or even Camaro or Corvette would be an "SS".

I don't care that it isn't called an SS (that's just been Chevy's designation for a long time). Call it a S version (Trailblazer S, Cobalt S, etc) for "Sport" and save the SS for the real Sports Cars (Camaro and Corvette). I'm okay with that.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:04 AM   #16
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
in my honest opinion the term "SS" belongs only to the camaro,chevelle, and the monte carlo. the cobalt should not have ever been a SS, nor should a silverado, or this near coming hhr. even the corvette SS in 09 that should be a stingray(not sure if they retired that name), or a Z06
Old 07-19-2007, 10:46 PM   #17
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Smile

what about the impala? there are plans to make the next version a rear drive on the same platform as the upcoming G8 sedan. just because it is a sedan does not make it any less worthy of the SS badge. Oh and since they have the camaro upcoming, there is no plans for a rear drive monte carlo in the future. in fact 07 is the last model year you can get the current front drive version .
Old 07-20-2007, 12:14 AM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post

So a tuned suspension, more performance and upgraded exterior styling doesn't make a vehicle an SS?

What do you think the SS cars from the sixties were?

It makes no difference if it is a truck, just don't use it on every model you offer on showroom floors and over do it

I think the Trailblazer SS is one of the better values out there, for an MSRP starting at only $32K you get great performance, great styling, very nice wheels (an area GM has been lacking until recently), nice interior treatments etc.
I don't know...there's really no reason to my madness. I just don't like trucks being 'SS' designated. I mean, sure power it up (I have no problem with that; in fact I think its awsome to have a truck that can beat the pants off of some cars out there) - but name it something else...TS (truck sport) or something...:o

Part of my problem is probably the over-use of the SS badging...and I guess I take it out on the poor trucks...
I had no problem with the Cobalt SS, it was a real sporty Car, and in it's class-segment, worthy of the title 'SS'...but it's a car_______... I'm just nuts...
Old 07-20-2007, 03:23 AM   #19
$anani

Drives: chevy s10
i just got my cobalt ss and is cool some good power but the take off is not strong but what do expect from a 4 banger but it kept up with my buddy gt.
$anani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:25 AM   #20
SSRich

Drives: 1967 camaroSS
When i went and test drove a cobalt SS Supercharged my papaw went with me and he could swear it didnt have a 4 banger in it. When somebody tells my papaw that 4bangers suck he tells them that the cobalt SS are very fast for a 4 banger. We test drove a Cobalt SS 2.4 he drove it first we hit the 4 lane and he was like a 18 year old (he was playing around) he didnt think it had any power neither did i (did we get fooled) and next thing i know i look over and we are do 85 in a 55. OF course it will not out run a V8 but with a few adjustment to the SS/SC i have heard it will out run a Mustang GT and i belive it.
SSRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #21
Mr. Wyndham

I've always said it's a powerful car.
People say it's a chick car, but I say, have you ever driven one?
Old 07-22-2007, 07:18 AM   #22
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28 View Post
Yeah the cobalt is not a bad looking import. But if its over done by hooking it up it looks really stupid looking.
Import?

Anything can be made to look like crap if you try hard enough

OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:57 AM   #23
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Talking

MY EYES!!
THEY BURN!!
Old 07-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #24
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
What do you mean import? You do know the Cobalt is a Chevy right?

OverAnxious...that is...well...ummmm...it's....well, things like "ugly" and such don't really cover it....maybe more like disgraceful....or disrespectful....or...I don't know, that's just really bad.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #25
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

Drives: 06 GTO, 92 Camaro RS, 84 Trans Am
Send a message via AIM to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via MSN to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow-phoenix
[QUOTE=Dragoneye;16162]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
Equinox SS...needs close to 300HP and a seriously upgraded interior.
Trailblazer replacement should put out 320-350HP
Tahoe SS...350HP minimum, AWD from the Escalade
Silverado SS...400+HP motor and AWD used in Escalade/Sierra Denali
quote]

No, no, no. these need to end. Completely. SS is super sport, so unless the truck loses all of it's "truckness" - nix it.
AMEN! I hate seeing the SS badge on a car unless it is a Camaro, or and old Chevelle...
Shadow-phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:24 AM   #26
SSRich

Drives: 1967 camaroSS
why doesnt anybody like the wing i like it looks better than a little wing or no wing.
SSRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:39 PM   #27
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
What do you mean import? You do know the Cobalt is a Chevy right?

I was about to ask that. The colbalt is in no way an import, IMO...

OverAnxious...that is...well...ummmm...it's....well, things like "ugly" and such don't really cover it....maybe more like disgraceful....or disrespectful....or...I don't know, that's just really bad.
I completely agree. Disrespectful, Disgraceful, poor judgement...and I like to throw this one around...sacriligious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRich View Post
why doesnt anybody like the wing i like it looks better than a little wing or no wing.
Personally I like subtle wings/spoilers (whatever you want to call it). Anything that came standard on the Camaro's of old is in my comfort zone. Big, Huge spoilers just remind me too much of Ricers. And that's a bad, bad connection to be made as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:30 PM   #28
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRich View Post
Big wings are not for street cars IMO, I just hate the look.
I hated the big wing on the CobraR from a few years back as well, no matter how badass the car was
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote