Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-02-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
kamisxy

Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
EXHAUST SYSTEMS - Which Ones Better N WHY ?

I had put a Borla exhaust system on my 2002 SS after doing some extensive research on what system was considered the best ...and talking to different shop owners who specialize in doing modifications for corvettes and camaros....i wasnt too familiar with exhaust systems back then.....all I knew was that I wanted the best...

I want this thread to help alot of people who are considering getting an aftermarket exhaust system....which will be alot of people. Thanks for your input everyone

I know theres a couple different exhaust systems out there...
We just want to know everyones experience with the exhaust systems they got for thier cars......What exhaust system do you RECOMMEND and WHY ?

FLOWMASTER ... BORLA ... MAGNAFLOW ... SLP ... DYNOMAX ... CORSA ... EDELBROCK ... BASSANNI ... ??? ...

Last edited by kamisxy; 08-02-2008 at 02:01 AM.
kamisxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
whichever one you want is the best. plain and simple.

go to www.ls1sounds.com and listen to some of the cars on there

i personally have magnaflow
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:54 AM   #3
o2camaross

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 04 silvy
i had lt headers, ory pipe and the magnaflow catback on my 02 SS and i loved it.
o2camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
dvnt88
Kickin' Assphalt

Drives: 1997 Z-28 30th Anniversary Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamisxy View Post
I had put a Borla exhaust system on my 2002 SS after doing some extensive research on what system was considered the best ...and talking to different shop owners who specialize in doing modifications for corvettes and camaros....i wasnt too familiar with exhaust systems back then.....all I knew was that I wanted the best...

I want this thread to help alot of people who are considering getting an aftermarket exhaust system....which will be alot of people. Thanks for your input everyone

I know theres a couple different exhaust systems out there...
We just want to know everyones experience with the exhaust systems they got for thier cars......What exhaust system do you RECOMMEND and WHY ?

FLOWMASTER ... BORLA ... MAGNAFLOW ... SLP ... DYNOMAX ... CORSA ... EDELBROCK ... BASSANNI ... ??? ...
I will be going with another Magnaflow system as I curently have the high flow replacement cats (direct fit) and exhaust (3") on my '97 Z from them and the HP gain (22hp at the wheels) and exhaust note is pure "Sex". ")
dvnt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
It really is personal choice. Are you looking for sound, HP gains, MPG gains, or looks the most?

It will also be sorta hard to tell until we have actual Camaros running around with the various systems.

That being said, however, I've always been a fan of Borlas, although the Flowmaster American Thunder series has a pretty impressive sound as well.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I'd have to go long tubes, no cats and custom true duals. Thankfully my buddy has a mandrel bender and does quite a bit of exhaust work. Probably use Dynomax bullet mufflers, they sound awesome and have them on my current and last LS1 Camaros.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
SLP might have a loudmouth exhaust system as well like Tag has on his SS. I'm sure there's a site that compares several exhaust systems and they'll probably have charts and sound bytes for specs, etc.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
SLP might have a loudmouth exhaust system as well like Tag has on his SS. I'm sure there's a site that compares several exhaust systems and they'll probably have charts and sound bytes for specs, etc.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...91&postcount=2

seriously... does anyone read any other posts besides the first one before they comment? lol
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #9
kamisxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 View Post
It really is personal choice. Are you looking for sound, HP gains, MPG gains, or looks the most?

It will also be sorta hard to tell until we have actual Camaros running around with the various systems.

That being said, however, I've always been a fan of Borlas, although the Flowmaster American Thunder series has a pretty impressive sound as well.
I WENT WITH THE BORLA BECAUSE IT NOT ONLY PERFORMS WELL...AND LOOKS WERE IMPORTANT TO ME 2
Old 08-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
kamisxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse View Post
I'd have to go long tubes, no cats and custom true duals. Thankfully my buddy has a mandrel bender and does quite a bit of exhaust work. Probably use Dynomax bullet mufflers, they sound awesome and have them on my current and last LS1 Camaros.
CATS....TRUE DUALS?
WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?
Old 08-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #11
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

first off, please stop supersizing your comments.

second... cats are catylitic converters, they convert noxious fumes from the exhaust into emissions passing fumes.

true duals are just that, they are a setup where each side of the exhaust runs its own tubing all the way till it exits, whereas a catback setup takes both sides from the motor to a y-pipe then to the muffler and splits it back up to the exhaust tips.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #12
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
whichever one you want is the best. plain and simple.

go to www.ls1sounds.com and listen to some of the cars on there

i personally have magnaflow
Great website! I've been listening on headphones for an hour straight! I listened to most of the exhausts and was a close one b/w the Corsa and Magnaflow for me. I still have to go with the Magnaflow--I am partial to it also, had it on my '95 Z-28. I just love the deep throaty sound, no crackling or back pressure and sounds amazing at idle and WOT. It's inexpensive, all stainless steel and makes good power.

So with that being said, i'll be putting on a new cat-back Magnaflow for the new SS!
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:47 AM   #13
2kwik
So anxious.

Drives: Awaiting my 2010 SS
It all depends on your car's set-up. Different catbacks sound differently with particular headers/cam, etc. It's especially hard to say since none of the big brands out there (borla, magnaflow, slp, bassani, corsa, etc.) have produced anything for the camaro yet. For all we could know, the stock catback could sound better than all of them :( I'm OBVIOUSLY, playing devil's advocate, and it's highly improbable that that will be the case. But anyhow...
Old 12-02-2008, 02:47 AM   #14
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Corsas sound the best.
I have been looking on youtube at corvettes with exhausts and I like the Corsas.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote