Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
That would be fine, many people have done coilovers only and been very happy.

if you had other funds free and wanted a couple idea's on what else would work well with the coilovers let me know
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #16
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double G View Post
Thanks RedJewel
and wow I'm impressed in the amount of time you pedders guys have put into the suspension

and yeah I think the coil overs are about $2,200?

that's a third of an STS Turbo! haha

There you have it! Pedders knows suspension!

Double G, I have an almost brand new Pedders 32mm Option C rear sway bar with custom welded gussets on the control arms. Pete set this up when i had my Justice package installed a while back. I just went with the ZL1 rear sway from pedders. I will make you a killer deal on it. Its $450 new. I will let you have it for A LOT less. With the custom welded lower control arms. PM Pete and he will tell you about it.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 AM   #17
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
they have nearly all said they wish they had done the suspension first. The thing about power is that you can only use the power in small bursts for the most part, while fun, it's short bursts. While the suspension is something that you feel every second that you drive the car, and the improvement the suspension makes on the car is dramatic, and will make you able to use the power than you have now better.

With that said,
what Pete said, lol
Rob makes an excellent point. I did a CAI and then went right for the suspension. I just had the Pedders Pace Car package done (Coilovers, bushings, sways) and the change in the car is unreal. Pete was awesome and huge help too. VERY happy with my Pedders setup, and the way the car handles now. I choose the coilovers since I wanted the drop but not the loss of quality. I also wanted the option to dial in settings for street or track. So far I am leaving it pretty firm even on the street, it's fun as hell in the curves!
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #18
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Rob makes an excellent point. I did a CAI and then went right for the suspension. I just had the Pedders Pace Car package done (Coilovers, bushings, sways) and the change in the car is unreal. Pete was awesome and huge help too. VERY happy with my Pedders setup, and the way the car handles now. I choose the coilovers since I wanted the drop but not the loss of quality. I also wanted the option to dial in settings for street or track. So far I am leaving it pretty firm even on the street, it's fun as hell in the curves!
Real racers do it better in the corners.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #19
AutoAgenda

Drives: 69 Camaro, 02 Escalade, 67 Eleanor
BC Racing Coilovers are the best bang for the buck.
AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #20
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double G View Post
I think you guys are getting a little ahead of yourselves. haha All I'm asking is what is your opinion on what is the best suspension package for the Camaro for the money?
and Here if you need a price range lets say what's the best bargain for $1,200
-This would be for someone who drives their car normally, but like to have fun and autocrosses and road track races on occasion(maybe 10-20 times a year). What makes the most change for the money?

And I would like your opinion on what is by far the best for our own wonderful camaro's regardless of the price. What coil overs, bushings, sway bars ect. do you think are the best on the market?

Thanks for the replies guys. And I wanna hear some replies from some owners Speak up guys! haha
Double G,

What is the best bang for the buck is dependent on the usage and the owner / driver. If all the drivers were equal in skill and experience they would have different opinions. Take a read of the Z/28 threads. The opinion of the car runs from a Perfect 10 to Under- Featured Overpriced 0. Funny thing is, depending on how you use your Camaro they are both right.

Running road courses 10 times a year is an intense schedule. 20 times a year is HARDCORE.

Road Course Suspension Starter Package

Sub-Frame Bushes
Radius Bushes
Z Style Sway Bar Conversion
Full Alignment Bolt Kit

Sway bars are normally the final tuning element, but the change in geometry with the Z bar compared to the 2010 inboard mounted bar is enormous. Adjustable camber plates would be a must have so you can drive to the track on a tire friendly alignment, switch to a track alignment and then back to street. Are you really planning 10 or more track events a year?

If you have watched the development of the ZL1, 1LE and Z/28 you have also seen how closely the cars resemble Pedders development cars going back to 2009.

Pedders fits 305/30/19 to all four corners. Other suspension companies point and laugh. Oops. We beat them all at the OPTIMA Invitational. To make matters worse for them Chevrolet releases the Z/28 with 305/30/19s.

December 2009 Pedders fits CTS-V six pots to our developmental Camaro. In 2012 the ZL1 is released with CTS-V six pots.

The ZL1 is released with 25mm front and 28mm rear solid sways bars for optimum strength. With a front to rear differential of 3mm it is the most aggressive sway bar fitment from Chevrolet for the 5th Gen, but lags behind Pedders 27mm front and 32mm rear solid bars.

The 1LE is released with a 27mm front sway bar only three years after Pedders first released our 27mm front bar.

The 5th Gen is released and so are the aftermarket 'must have' strut tower bars. Pedders tells the C5 community there is no documented performance benefit to a strut tower bar. Not a single suspension company can document any performance gain. Car & Driver partners with an independent engineering firm with a four wheel shaker. The first article confirms Pedders position.

Last, but by no means least, Pedders has invited every brand suspension company to beat us in the OPTIMA Street Car Series. We tell them exactly how we built our Camaros, what the RWHP is, what the alignment is, what our spring rates are... Pedders has never finished behind any current generation Mustang, Challenger or Camaro at an OPTIMA event on a road course. NEVER.

Bang-for-the-Buck to me is being faster than the other guy. There is only one company that fits that description. What the other companies do is talk about being fast. I get tired of reading about engineering this or racing that when the only place we se them is in our rear view mirror. There will come a day when they man up and bring a car out that beats Pedders. When that day comes I'll tip my hat and say well done. Until that day comes, Pedders is the technology, performance and engineering leader for 5th Gen Camaro suspension.

What happens next is some of the vendors will complain about this post. What will they complain about? Pedders is bragging too much. Pedders posted the index to the Camaro Book. Pedders told everyone the truth about strut tower bars making it harder for me to sell them

There is a wealth of information in Pedders Book of 5th Gen. Take some time to read through it so you can make informed buying decisions.

Pedders 2010 Chevrolet Camaro Suspension Evaluation

Foundational 5th Gen Required Upgrades

Lowering Coils and Coilovers

Trouble Free, OEM Quiet V6 Lowering

Sway Bars

Suspension Bushes

ZL1 / CTS-V Brake Upgrade for the SS

Wheels and Tires

Bush Timing, Alignment and Torque Specs

Pedders USA Camaro 2.0

Lingenfelter L/28 Tech

5th Gen Wheel Hop and Drag Race Setup

Thermal Management

Running Changes Made to the 5th Gen by Chevrolet

Public Track Test #1

Public Track Test #2 Camaro vs. Mustang Supercar Shootout

2013 Strut Mounts, Pedders Coilover Pre-Compression and Ride Height Settings

Caution: Test driving any Pedderised vehicle can be dangerous. Pedderised vehicles have been known to induce suspension envy and sleepless nights filled with longing. Before test-driving any Pedderised vehicle, check with your banking and accounting professionals. Pedderised vehicles are known to induce credit card bills and reduced bank balances. There is no antidote. Only genuine Pedders can cure Suspension Envy.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #21
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
10-20 road course weekends a year is a pretty good schedule man. You would benefit from one of the better known brands are what i would recommend. Bang for the buck isnt what i worry about its more safety and predictability in the best product that will take the abuse.

The posts that Mr Pete has made alone makes me feel like I have a docotorate in engineering and a suspension guru. If you like Mr. Petes advice go with him!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #22
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
\
Bang-for-the-Buck to me is being faster than the other guy. There is only one company that fits that description. What the other companies do is talk about being fast. I get tired of reading about engineering this or racing that when the only place we see them is in our rear view mirror. There will come a day when they man up and bring a car out that beats Pedders. When that day comes I'll tip my hat and say well done. Until that day comes, Pedders is the technology, performance and engineering leader for 5th Gen Camaro suspension.

THIS!!!!

MOST important thing stated here IMHO! Im no Pedders fanboy nor am i a customer........yet but they are proving their product with track results so it seems to be a done deal!

On a side note Pete have you ever done any 1/4 mile testing to see what adding just suspension parts on a otherwise stock 5th gen would gain?
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #23
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
I can say Pete knows his stuff.
I take my car to a road course a few times a year, and with Pedders parts, and Pete's help with alignment it handles as good as the Porsches in the corners and leaves them on the straightaways.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #24
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by right to travel View Post
THIS!!!!

MOST important thing stated here IMHO! Im no Pedders fanboy nor am i a customer........yet but they are proving their product with track results so it seems to be a done deal!

On a side note Pete have you ever done any 1/4 mile testing to see what adding just suspension parts on a otherwise stock 5th gen would gain?

Yes sir. We worked with Lingenfelter on their Black Pig. We replaced a brand-x set of drag coilovers with an off the shelf set of Supercars. The immediate result was a gain of 2/10s in the 60'. LPE is phenomenal to work with. Their years of drag racing and data collection are invaluable. We refined our Supercars into a finished product sold exclusively through Lingenfelter. The end result was a gain of 3/10ths over brand-x drag coilovers.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #25
t&t moyer
It's all hers.

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Here's my theory. It doesn't matter if it's guns, cars, house work or anything.

1) Allowed or estimated budget.
2) Expectations from the money spent.

This typically works well for me unless I take an unexpected left hand turn changing directions in the middle of a project. I've learned over the years to buy the best that I can afford otherwise I end-up spending the money again upgrading parts (I hate spending money twice re-buying parts, but it happens). It's an individual thing, everyone has a different situation, budget, and expectation.

Sort of like the "need / want" struggle. Good luck to the OP
t&t moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #26
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Good advice
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
battlekat

Drives: the red dragon
i was already planning on getting pedders but after reading pete's post #20 i want to get a second set and put them on my bed or something.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #28
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlekat View Post
i was already planning on getting pedders but after reading pete's post #20 i want to get a second set and put them on my bed or something.
LMAO! +1! I was thinking about getting them, now I know I am!!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension