Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #71
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
OK Pete a dumb question and not meant to be smart. My car is an earlier Vin , before 25000, and there is a KNOWN issue with the tranny shafts. This is known by all parties involved that GM had some bad shafts due to defective materials.

Early on GM was supposed to contact people, provided lists of affected Tranny's etc..... but from what I know ,no such list exists.

GM says if you mod, you are SOL. Where does this seems like the right thing to do? They know a certain number of tranny's have a problem and it looks like they are crossing their fingers hoping either 1. that the person has modded their car so they will not have to fix it, or 2. or hoping it will not break at all.

I am not a smart man , but I feel it would take GM very little to inspect these shafts, we are only talking about a few in the grand scheme of things, and if the tranny is one that was affected they should fix it BEFORE something breaks maybe resulting in more damage to the car.

I have a system on my car, Launch Control, that I am afraid to use because if it breaks then too bad so sad, all beause I wanted more lope from a Muscle Car. If my tranny wasn't in the range of affected ones it would not be a problem.

I do not race but just would like to see what launch control actually does. Again I am not trying to be a smart -A** , I just think that these cars are so part numbered up that it would be easy for someone to look at the tranny, check the build date and see if it is one of theose tranny's susceptible to tailshaft breakage and fix it.

Thoughts?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #72
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
OK Pete a dumb question and not meant to be smart. My car is an earlier Vin , before 25000, and there is a KNOWN issue with the tranny shafts. This is known by all parties involved that GM had some bad shafts due to defective materials.

Early on GM was supposed to contact people, provided lists of affected Tranny's etc..... but from what I know ,no such list exists.

GM says if you mod, you are SOL. Where does this seems like the right thing to do? They know a certain number of tranny's have a problem and it looks like they are crossing their fingers hoping either 1. that the person has modded their car so they will not have to fix it, or 2. or hoping it will not break at all.

I am not a smart man , but I feel it would take GM very little to inspect these shafts, we are only talking about a few in the grand scheme of things, and if the tranny is one that was affected they should fix it BEFORE something breaks maybe resulting in more damage to the car.

I have a system on my car, Launch Control, that I am afraid to use because if it breaks then too bad so sad, all beause I wanted more lope from a Muscle Car. If my tranny wasn't in the range of affected ones it would not be a problem.

I do not race but just would like to see what launch control actually does. Again I am not trying to be a smart -A** , I just think that these cars are so part numbered up that it would be easy for someone to look at the tranny, check the build date and see if it is one of theose tranny's susceptible to tailshaft breakage and fix it.

Thoughts?
This is actually a very valid question. And I don't think you are being a smarta$$ at all. There has definitely been a lot of talk about this particular issue. I have seen lots of things written on here about "a list" and about GM contacting affected owners. I am not aware of any of that. I don't know if those were credible statements, if that is reality within GM or what. In this case, I can't say with any level of certainty or credibility that any such list does or doesn't exist.

I can tell you that my own car is in the same boat as yours. It is a sub 25,000 VINed car. I can tell you that my car was among those that was "held" during the time when the shafts were being looked at. I haven't used the Launch Control on my car yet. I do plan on trying it out a few times before my warranty expires though. I also haven't done any modification to my car so I am not worried about having a problem with any warranty claim.

Have you talked with the service manager at your dealer about it? Have you asked him or her what would happen and what they would do?

Regarding your comment about whether GM should just inspect the trannies, that is where I really take a hard line and in some cases piss people off. If you didn't mod your car, you have nothing to worry about. My opinion is that the "affected" output shafts were/are not seen as a safety issue so no recall was necessary. And anyone who broke the shaft on an unmodded car had it replaced or would have it replaced no questions asked. So why would GM need to do anything else? They are ensuring that any broken shafts on cars with valid warranties are being replaced. What else do you want them to do? Spend thousands of dollars needlessly inspecting cars. What does that do? Do you want them to just automatically replace components on cars who have had serious and significant powertrain modifications? If I was running a company I don't see that as being fiscally responsible. I also don't see it as necessary from a customer service standpoint when people clearly know they are potentially impacting the warranty when they make those modifications.

Please don't take offense to what I am about to type. I don't mean it to be anything personally. I don't think that it is any new news about this shaft issue. In fact, I remember news coming out on it when I was waiting to get my car in May, June, July and August of 2009. And there were members on here who posted very early on about their shafts breaking. So I would pose this question, why on earth would you mod your car knowing that this issue might exist and without first testing it out? I knew of this issue far before I even got my car so I would have certainly tested the Launch Control right away especially if I was planning on making changes to my car.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #73
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
This is actually a very valid question. And I don't think you are being a smarta$$ at all. There has definitely been a lot of talk about this particular issue. I have seen lots of things written on here about "a list" and about GM contacting affected owners. I am not aware of any of that. I don't know if those were credible statements, if that is reality within GM or what. In this case, I can't say with any level of certainty or credibility that any such list does or doesn't exist.

I can tell you that my own car is in the same boat as yours. It is a sub 25,000 VINed car. I can tell you that my car was among those that was "held" during the time when the shafts were being looked at. I haven't used the Launch Control on my car yet. I do plan on trying it out a few times before my warranty expires though. I also haven't done any modification to my car so I am not worried about having a problem with any warranty claim.

Have you talked with the service manager at your dealer about it? Have you asked him or her what would happen and what they would do?

Regarding your comment about whether GM should just inspect the trannies, that is where I really take a hard line and in some cases piss people off. If you didn't mod your car, you have nothing to worry about. My opinion is that the "affected" output shafts were/are not seen as a safety issue so no recall was necessary. And anyone who broke the shaft on an unmodded car had it replaced or would have it replaced no questions asked. So why would GM need to do anything else? They are ensuring that any broken shafts on cars with valid warranties are being replaced. What else do you want them to do? Spend thousands of dollars needlessly inspecting cars. What does that do? Do you want them to just automatically replace components on cars who have had serious and significant powertrain modifications? If I was running a company I don't see that as being fiscally responsible. I also don't see it as necessary from a customer service standpoint when people clearly know they are potentially impacting the warranty when they make those modifications.

Please don't take offense to what I am about to type. I don't mean it to be anything personally. I don't think that it is any new news about this shaft issue. In fact, I remember news coming out on it when I was waiting to get my car in May, June, July and August of 2009. And there were members on here who posted very early on about their shafts breaking. So I would pose this question, why on earth would you mod your car knowing that this issue might exist and without first testing it out? I knew of this issue far before I even got my car so I would have certainly tested the Launch Control right away especially if I was planning on making changes to my car.
Pete no offense taken at all and I appreciate your comments. Unfortunately I was very new to the Camaro forums when all this started and I really didn't have a clue about this until I saw some threads later on after I got mine.

Now that is my fault for not knowing and I understand that, also another reason I do alot of reading on these type of threads. I also understand that I modded and that too is my responsiblity, just more wanting a pro-active rather than a re-active stance from GM on this.

I am no transmission mechanic but it seems to me that other things may break combined with this failure. IF GM knows of a specific range they could put out a notice to dealerships to be on the look out so to speak and when somone comes in for service or whatever then I am sure that the tranny has some serial number etc.... to easily identify this, sort of a quick look thing, especially while they are waiting for the oil to drain, but again I am no mechanic and have no clue what would be involved.

I think what is confusing is John Fitz came out with a blanket statement early that GM would fix it regardless.

The dealer knows my car is modded and I do not try to hide that fact, Hard to hide the nice sound of the cam, but they also KNOW I don't dog my car either since I have been a customer of theirs for 20+ years, and I feel confident they would do everthing in their power to help IF something happened.

Another member went through this same thing. He went to Arbitration and won his case because of the same reason I stated earlier. Here is the thread.
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54832 the later pages is where you can see that GM lost and will pay to have his fixed.

While I understand that GM will not fix a supposed good part and since it is not a Safety issue they can wait. Just seems to me that IF the part breaks on a KNOWN defective part, even defective on non modded cars with in this range, that it should be taken care of.

I understand that some people will be dishonest and I guess that goes with the territory, but when you have modded cars that are pushing 600-650rwhp and have NO problems because their's is a later build, it is safe to assume that they fixed the initial problem. SO my little 463 should not tear it up either.

I hope that I never have to find out, I have only had one issue with my car and that was the A-pillar clips, mine went to QC as well but from start to delivery it only took 1 month for me to get my car. Mine was delivered July 1, 2009 and the vin is 18261 So really it would be nice to know if mine was before or after. I am thinking it was before but with no clear word from GM it is hard to tell.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #74
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Pete no offense taken at all and I appreciate your comments. Unfortunately I was very new to the Camaro forums when all this started and I really didn't have a clue about this until I saw some threads later on after I got mine.

Now that is my fault for not knowing and I understand that, also another reason I do alot of reading on these type of threads. I also understand that I modded and that too is my responsiblity, just more wanting a pro-active rather than a re-active stance from GM on this.

I am no transmission mechanic but it seems to me that other things may break combined with this failure. IF GM knows of a specific range they could put out a notice to dealerships to be on the look out so to speak and when somone comes in for service or whatever then I am sure that the tranny has some serial number etc.... to easily identify this, sort of a quick look thing, especially while they are waiting for the oil to drain, but again I am no mechanic and have no clue what would be involved.

I think what is confusing is John Fitz came out with a blanket statement early that GM would fix it regardless.

The dealer knows my car is modded and I do not try to hide that fact, Hard to hide the nice sound of the cam, but they also KNOW I don't dog my car either since I have been a customer of theirs for 20+ years, and I feel confident they would do everthing in their power to help IF something happened.

Another member went through this same thing. He went to Arbitration and won his case because of the same reason I stated earlier. Here is the thread.
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54832 the later pages is where you can see that GM lost and will pay to have his fixed.

While I understand that GM will not fix a supposed good part and since it is not a Safety issue they can wait. Just seems to me that IF the part breaks on a KNOWN defective part, even defective on non modded cars with in this range, that it should be taken care of.

I understand that some people will be dishonest and I guess that goes with the territory, but when you have modded cars that are pushing 600-650rwhp and have NO problems because their's is a later build, it is safe to assume that they fixed the initial problem. SO my little 463 should not tear it up either.

I hope that I never have to find out, I have only had one issue with my car and that was the A-pillar clips, mine went to QC as well but from start to delivery it only took 1 month for me to get my car. Mine was delivered July 1, 2009 and the vin is 18261 So really it would be nice to know if mine was before or after. I am thinking it was before but with no clear word from GM it is hard to tell.
I have seen the thread you mentioned also. And I agree with you that it appears that some people made statements that helped to greatly confuse the matter. I haven't gone back to read through all the details though. No matter what, I hope you have good luck with your car and that you never have to worry about the shaft issue.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #75
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Temp close.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #76
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Legal words added to original post. Feel free to read, if you speak legislative English.
warn 145:159 ban

Closed Thread

Tags
ftc, law, void warranty, warranty