Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Considering selling the SS

For a number of reasons, the first of which is that insurance is pretty hard to keep up with as a 17 year old and my rates are already a good bit increased from when I first started driving lol Secondly, even though I absolutely love my car, I really miss driving a truck around. There's just more to do with a 4x4. Another reason that I really hate to admit is that it really is a bit too much car for a kid. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty safe driver... now (I learned my lessons in my first month of driving... ) It's just that I've found myself tempted far too many times lol and I know I'm eventually going to end up with a very hefty ticket that will end it for me anyway

Anyway, I don't really know why I'm even sharing this lol I'm just bored at 12 A.M. We'll see what happens I reckon, I'll figure out what I want to do within the month
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
For a number of reasons, the first of which is that insurance is pretty hard to keep up with as a 17 year old and my rates are already a good bit increased from when I first started driving lol Secondly, even though I absolutely love my car, I really miss driving a truck around. There's just more to do with a 4x4. Another reason that I really hate to admit is that it really is a bit too much car for a kid. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty safe driver... now (I learned my lessons in my first month of driving... ) It's just that I've found myself tempted far too many times lol and I know I'm eventually going to end up with a very hefty ticket that will end it for me anyway
The fact that you recognize all of this shows that you're smarter than the average 17 year old.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
You are actually being smart and coming to your senses. As you likely know, sensible members here always try to talk sense to the young uns when it comes to buying/owning a new$30k+ car. I think you'll be making the right decision selling it ONLY if you are not going to turn around and buy a brand new Jeep or brand new 4x4 Chevy, etc. Gas and Insurance on 4x4 are not cheap either. Do what makes sense for your lifestyle and finances.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:

Anyway, I don't really know why I'm even sharing this lol I'm just bored at 12 A.M. We'll see what happens I reckon, I'll figure out what I want to do within the month
It sounds to be more of a money issue.

You've had the car and proven to yourself that, while it's FUN, you can handle its power. We all make mistakes, but it doesn't sound like you've totaled it, or are going to. You're only getting older and wiser, and your insurance rates will go down.

This proposition of getting rid of it b/c of money issues ONLY makes sense if you buy a cheap, used truck. They get horrible gas mileage, save for a 4-cylinder ranger or old S10 and can be expensive to maintain especially as they get older. Insurance premiums because of the 4x4 are usually negligible compared to a sports car. In fact, my insurance rates went down when I got rid of my '09 Colorado 4x4 Z71 for my 2011 SS.

I got rid of my '97 Camaro when I was in college because I thought I needed something more practical. Worst decision EVAR.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #5
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
well look at it this way. you got a taste of a high performing sports car and in a few years down the road you'll be in a better position to buy another one down the road.
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #6
jackka

Drives: 2011 Black/Black 2LT/RS M6 w/Sroof
I was 17 once and I have to say I agree with your assessment that eventhough the SS is one kickass car, the fact of the matter is that

costs + practicality > cool factor for a 17 year old's financial means on average.

Personally, I would make do with a more cost-efficient car and focus on getting myself to a financial position where I would enjoy the Camaro without having to worry about anything.

It's your life and you make the choices, so do whatever makes the most sense for you.
jackka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:19 AM   #7
Synyster

Thanks for the advice y'all lol.

I'm not really sure what I'll do right now, it's something I'm going to have to think about. Though if I do decide to trade or sale it, I'm going to (or at least try to) keep a copy of the VIN so I can maybe find my car 4 or 5 years down the road and buy it again. I think that would be nifty

About the insurance rates, I don't know if it's any different, but I have Allstate and the yearly rate went up 2k from my 2006 F150 4x4 to the Camaro and that's the main issue lol. I'd be looking at an older (1996-2003) F250, I figure it should be less than my previous truck at least.

In the end, as much as I hate it lol, it's really up to the parental unit and I don't know where she stands on the matter. I'd think she'd be pretty anxious to get me out of the sports car though lol As I said, we'll see within the month
Old 02-08-2011, 01:31 AM   #8
mothercatmatt

Drives: Black 2LT RS
Try shopping around on the insurance. I still ant quite figure it out, but for some reasons, some compaNies are cheaper for different people. Of course, i had an 83 nissan 4x4 pickup when i was your age, and loved being able to take it on any dirt road i wanted and didnt have to worry about messing it up any...

Agree with the comment about you being more mature/smarter than the average 17 year old by the way.
mothercatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:32 AM   #9
mothercatmatt

Drives: Black 2LT RS
Sorry for typos...sent from phone
mothercatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:39 AM   #10
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:

Anyway, I don't really know why I'm even sharing this lol I'm just bored at 12 A.M. We'll see what happens I reckon, I'll figure out what I want to do within the month >>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<
Well there's your problem right there- underage drinking!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #11
Synyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Well there's your problem right there- underage drinking!
lol jackass
Old 02-08-2011, 02:54 AM   #12
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
lol jackass
Don't want? Don't ask

A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 02-08-2011, 03:05 AM   #13
Synyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Don't want? Don't ask
Hey hey I ain't claimed anything lol
Old 02-08-2011, 03:09 AM   #14
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Hey hey I ain't claimed anything lol