Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #43
aurora

Drives: 2015 Black ZL1; 2012 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
I had an encounter with a dead moose when I was about 12. Down at the lakes in Minnesota I was staying at a friends and sleeping in front of the fireplace. A Moose head my friends Dad had shot in Montana was mounted over the fireplace, during the night it came loose and fell on me. The horns straddled me. A few inches one way or the other and I could have been killed by a dead Moose.
Holy smokes! That would be a terrible way to go!
aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #44
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Great video, abrupt ending!
Old 09-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #45
aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Great video, abrupt ending!
Can only hope that she was bluffing....but likely not.

Very unfortunate, I don't think they understood what it means when you see a bear cub.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:09 PM   #46
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Yeah that was the problem on the Russian River in Alaska.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #47
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
[QUOTE=aurora;7944665]You all were right about not chancing the drive today. Thanks for input.

What a disaster! We had trees down, lights down, vehicles out of control, accidents everywhere...it was not the right scene for a ZL1.

While walking this morning the sounds of trees breaking under the weight of heavy snow filled the air...it was really creepy...most sidewalks were blocked with fallen trees and I also saw some transformers exploding as power lines were going down. Wow.

My friend who drives an old Firebird told me he was constantly sliding sideways into the next lane...the front wheels were slipping, similar to what you were saying, Oddvious.[/QUOTE

I parked mine last week for that storm (SS, not a ZL1) and happy I did. I have snow tires and drive all winter, they'll go on next month, but I may be able to park it this winter and drive my husbands van. I hope that storm is not a sign of what's to come...brutal!!
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:42 AM   #48
Admiral Ballsy

Drives: a soft bargain
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora View Post
Switching the wheels out sounds like a lot of work. Do you do that yourself, or do you take it into a garage?
An '04 wouldn't have TPMS, I don't think, so all you have to do is swap the tires. A small floor jack and a half-hour is all you need. And, you only have to do it twice a year.

I swap tires once a month on my Corvette - I autocross on R-comps. That's a little more involved since you have to reset the TPMS sensors. But that's only another couple minutes.
Admiral Ballsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #49
aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarbrit View Post

I parked mine last week for that storm (SS, not a ZL1) and happy I did. I have snow tires and drive all winter, they'll go on next month, but I may be able to park it this winter and drive my husbands van. I hope that storm is not a sign of what's to come...brutal!!
Well I think you are a real trooper to drive the SS all year round! I would tell the husband to trade the van in for a sled and dog team...lol...that's really how we should be getting around, hey? But seriously, nice that you have another option and may be able to park the car.

That storm was unusually bad because the trees still had their leaves. I don't know about you but I have never seen anything like that and I am surprised there weren't any major fires with so many trees smoking in the power lines, wow! Farmers are definitely in trouble this fall as their fields of flattened barley and wheat won't spring back up from this. Anyway, lets hope for lots of snow but mild temps this winter.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:08 PM   #50
aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Ballsy View Post
A small floor jack and a half-hour is all you need. And, you only have to do it twice a year.

I swap tires once a month on my Corvette - I autocross on R-comps. That's a little more involved since you have to reset the TPMS sensors. But that's only another couple minutes.
Are those smooth tires that you use for autocross?

So you're saying that I have to get a floor jack and change out my own tires? Aww sh*t, I didn't want to have to do any work! LOL.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:24 PM   #51
smarbrit

Quote:
Well I think you are a real trooper to drive the SS all year round! I would tell the husband to trade the van in for a sled and dog team...lol...that's really how we should be getting around, hey? But seriously, nice that you have another option and may be able to park the car.

That storm was unusually bad because the trees still had their leaves. I don't know about you but I have never seen anything like that and I am surprised there weren't any major fires with so many trees smoking in the power lines, wow! Farmers are definitely in trouble this fall as their fields of flattened barley and wheat won't spring back up from this. Anyway, lets hope for lots of snow but mild temps this winter.
I love the car in the winter, it's a different kind of fun, but last winter was so bad I wish I didn't have to drive it.

I was shocked driving through older communities the state of the trees. We live in a newer community so our trees are smaller, those mature trees took a beating. My folks are on an acreage an we spent Sunday cleaning up there. The farmers.....unbelievable. We've had a rough few years weather wise.....

Back to tires, I put 19's blizzacks on all four corners, take it to the dealer to swap out. My husband left the spacers on after the first winter, cost me $300 to correct the swap so would rather pay $60 each time. Been lucky with timing the last 2 years, planning on taking her in first week of oct.

Are you coming on the badlands cruise sept 27/28????? Looking like a great turnout!
Old 09-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #52
aurora

Quote:

Are you coming on the badlands cruise sept 27/28????? Looking like a great turnout!
I didn't even know about it! Thanks for filling me in. I LOVE the badlands! I spent time there every summer studying the Hoodoos and rock formations...but usually in a 4x4 instead of a camaro...lol.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #53
smarbrit

Quote:
I didn't even know about it! Thanks for filling me in. I LOVE the badlands! I spent time there every summer studying the Hoodoos and rock formations...but usually in a 4x4 instead of a camaro...lol.
Here's the thread, go to the Alberta camaro owners Facebook page for more details as well. We did this run last year, was an awesome day!

Sorry to hijack your thread...lol

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376170
Old 09-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #54
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I would avoid it and or not drive it in the snow at all but that is IMO.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #55
aurora

Quote:
Here's the thread, go to the Alberta camaro owners Facebook page for more details as well. We did this run last year, was an awesome day!

Sorry to hijack your thread...lol

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376170
Thanks for the info...

Don't worry about any hijacking at all!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #56
aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4speed_motorsports View Post
I would avoid it and or not drive it in the snow at all but that is IMO.
Need4speed, that is my opinion too....except for the slight winter stuff that comes too early...or too late in the spring....and unexpectedly so.

Darn, I am going to hate parking my car this winter...I can already tell you, it will be a very, very sad time.