Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #15
Cully

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS Synergy Green Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOutlaw View Post
Get your money back, anything the dealer is selling you like warranties or undercoatings is a scam/money suck.

Honestly the dealer shouldn't even be allowed to touch the car after it arrives on the lot, most have not a clue what their doing and a simple wash will leave it in worse condition then they got it with swirls and haze all over. Get out of this one and do it right yourself.
This is spoken with true ignorance. As I had previously posted, this sealer is as many of the commercially available products available. None of those offer a warranty up to seven years on your finish and interior. This is the same type of customer that declines to buy a warranty on a used car and come back in six months whining because he now has to put money into repairing something. Look at it like paying your auto insurance...you pay for it but hopefully never need too. Same principal. Dealerhips dont have a clue?????I suppose contractors are clueless?Doctors? I suppose you have all the right answers though? Right?
Cully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #16
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cully View Post
This is spoken with true ignorance. As I had previously posted, this sealer is as many of the commercially available products available. None of those offer a warranty up to seven years on your finish and interior. This is the same type of customer that declines to buy a warranty on a used car and come back in six months whining because he now has to put money into repairing something. Look at it like paying your auto insurance...you pay for it but hopefully never need too. Same principal. Dealerhips dont have a clue?????I suppose contractors are clueless?Doctors? I suppose you have all the right answers though? Right?
You put too much trust in sales people. Outlaw is correct. No product commercial or consumer on the market will last more than 6-8 months. They offer the warranty as peace of mind, I'm sure for $500 they will re-seal your car every six months. However most people don't know that the sealant won't last the stated 5-7 years so they just think their paint is protected forever, and the dealership just made $499.25 on about $0.75 worth of sealant. Brilliant marketing, terrible for the consumer. Meanwhile the consumer thinks their paint is protected, and its quite the opposite.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #17
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
Can you get your money back before you go in to have the paint treatment done? I bet you can.

I'd also ask for a refund on the extended warranty. You can buy an extended warranty at any time during the vehicle's life. Why are you forking over several hundred or thousands of dollars 3 years before your warranty is even out?
Doesn't the price of the extended warranty go up if you don't get it before the first year is up?? Where can you extend it online? Do they list their prices?
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #18
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
The sheeting demonstrated in that video is fairly impressive, but what they dance around is that is a comparison to NO protection on the other side. The reality of it is that most anything in that class of products (sealants) will provide that kind of result in those circumstances. The real test comes from exposure to a variety of conditions... including UV, heat, etc. In other words the conditions a vehicle would see in the real world - no one just drives their car thru the carwash over and over on a rainy day.

Like was said above... the product itself and the application isn't worth much, but the warranty is. I haven't yet seen a clear definition of what any of these products warranty coverage entails - for example... you get swirl marks and need to polish them out... polishing will abrade the product from the surface... will they reapply? Will they polish out swirl marks? The defined limitations of the warranty on many of these things seems extremely vague.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #19
nealdiwes

Drives: 2011 camaro ls
NICE CAR; GOOD LUCK WITH IT.
nealdiwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #20
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cully View Post
Cully, rather than us all getting in a pissing match here, could you please provide the fine print for what exactly the warranty covers? I guess the word "warranty" doesn't mean much to me without context. Is it guaranteed to bead like that for 7 years? Not likely. Is it guaranteed to not scratch/swirl?

What are we getting a 7-year guarantee of?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #21
Cully

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Cully, rather than us all getting in a pissing match here, could you please provide the fine print for what exactly the warranty covers? I guess the word "warranty" doesn't mean much to me without context. Is it guaranteed to bead like that for 7 years? Not likely. Is it guaranteed to not scratch/swirl?

What are we getting a 7-year guarantee of?
The warranty does cover anything from tree sap or bird droppings(if left etching of the clearcoat can occur), acid rain, water staining, peeling ect. Obviously this does not apply if started because of a chip or scratch. The interior warranty is great because if you spill coffee,ketchup, ink, ect the dealer will then properly repair the damage. I also agree that no sealers will last for the entire time, but the warranty does. I have had customers come in for mostly interior touch up from crayons, ink, and even cow manure. We just take it back to detail and complete the work that needs to be done. It is products like this that let the dealer show how good their customer service really is or isn't for that matter. Our dealership charges $395 which for 7 years of protection again staining and such seams fairly reasonable. Hopefully this clears up any questions.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #22
Cully

Also the work that Junkman and other detailers have performed here is amazing...a good detailer like that is very hard to find and a great talent. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #23
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Thumbs up

Well I did have my car Simonized yesterday, and today I washed my car just to get the dirt off behind the wheels on the car. I will say this stuff is fantastic everything just rolls off the car.

Now if it holds up like it says it will I will be happy for a long time to come.I will update as time goes on..
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #24
Cully

Glad to hear your happy, as am I. I would still plan on waxing with high quality wax once a year. Or more if you get bored like I do.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #25
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
I won't even let the dealer wash the car. I do that myself. Best predelivery inspection you can do.

I would NEVER let a dealer put anything on or under my car. Read the owners manual.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:45 AM   #26
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
I won't even let the dealer wash the car. I do that myself. Best predelivery inspection you can do.

I would NEVER let a dealer put anything on or under my car. Read the owners manual.
I agree with the washing part- most use the same dirty rag to wash all the cars carelessly but I don't understand this part. What are you worried about them screwing up by spraying the undercarriage? And what's in the manual that you're referring to?
Old 01-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #27
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Undercoating Protection they like to sell.

Owners manual deals with paint and tells you NOT to undercoat.....
Old 05-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #28
DSchnack

Drives: 2011 Black-on-Black 2SS/RS L99
I just bought my Black SS last Monday and purchased the Simoniz treatment [for $395] which I brought back to them today to put put on. I live in FL and the main reason I purchased it was for the 7 year warranty on the exterior clear coat and paint. In 2000, I purchases a Black S-10 and after 6 months, I had issues with the paint (I think it was just a bad paint job) that I had to involve regional management from GM because the dealer tried to tell me that it was due to "something" getting on top of the paint (anyone every deal with Bill Heard Chevrolet? There is a reason they closed up shop in Sanford, FL...). When the Regional Manager from GM met me at the dealership, he saw that the problem was underneath the clear coat as there was nothing on the top that you could feel over the problem spots (the entire top side of the vehicle). Anyway, not to rant, I will not have to go through that pain again. Also, if you live in FL, you are well aware of the "love bug" which like many other bugs, will eat through the clear coat and paint, but much faster if left on the car for any length of time. Basically, anything that gets on the car that that is not physical damage and starting from a chip will be covered and repaired for free. For the love bug alone, this is a well spent $400. But, as mentioned, I will be putting good coats of wax on and washing as needed (daily or every other day :-)). I hope that I never have to use the warranty, but if I do, I will feel a lot better knowing it will be free and the rental car will be covered while they repair it!
DSchnack is offline   Reply With Quote