Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
ZL1 GOODYEAR F1 G:2s... Run On Flats?

I tried searching to determine once & for all if the OEM tires are indeed runflats or conventional rubber as GY makes both. What's the final word? I'm guessing that they are NOT ROFs being as a can of fix-a-flat & a compressor are included.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
not run flats...you would know. The ride is hard and sidewalls do not flex.
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
2Z's4me

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Corvette Z06
Here is information that will explain.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....3A+2+RunOnFlat
2Z's4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
And here are the OEM tires for the ZL1. Notice, no mention of run-flat.http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....toModel=Camaro ZL1&autoModClar=Convertible
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
What drag radials should be used on the ZL1? Tire size and rim size and off set?
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
sjaikman
Aikman Performance Tuning

Drives: 2017 ZL1 CAMARO
yes they are run flats i work for a dealer here in tx. and have had the plaesure(hint of sarcasim) of working with these tires on numerous occasions ...
sjaikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaikman View Post
yes they are run flats i work for a dealer here in tx. and have had the plaesure(hint of sarcasim) of working with these tires on numerous occasions ...
Can you show us in any ZL1 documentation of any kind that the ones for the ZL1 are run-flats?

It seems that the ones for the Vett's are, but I haven't seen any mention in any of the ZL1 information/manuals that would indicate that the ZL1 variations are run-flats.

Not even in the description on tirerack.com.

It seems to me that if the ZL1 tires were run-flats, it would be mentioned as a feature in the sales brochure and windows sticker, etc.

Maybe I overlooked it somewhere?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
2Z's4me

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Can you show us in any ZL1 documentation of any kind that the ones for the ZL1 are run-flats?

It seems that the ones for the Vett's are, but I haven't seen any mention in any of the ZL1 information/manuals that would indicate that the ZL1 variations are run-flats.

Not even in the description on tirerack.com.

It seems to me that if the ZL1 tires were run-flats, it would be mentioned as a feature in the sales brochure and windows sticker, etc.

Maybe I overlooked it somewhere?
I thought the car came with run flats too. This morning when wiping the car down with detail spray I checked the tires and it says "radial tubeless".

I looked through all of the documentation that came with the and could not find any data stating run flat come with the car. You can probably get them as this tire is offered as a run flat for the Corvette.
2Z's4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
scottzl1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Not run flats...no "emt or run flat" on my tires.
scottzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
They are NOT run-flats,only the Corvette comes with run-flats.

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
MS3DALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Z's4me View Post
I thought the car came with run flats too. This morning when wiping the car down with detail spray I checked the tires and it says "radial tubeless".
That just means the tire is a radial type and has no tubes,just like most tires for the past 40 years.

'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
They are not run flats. 100% per goodyears website.

If you go to goodyears website it is kind of crappy IMO but they have them broken down by ROF (run on flat) and the normal tire.

you can see the runflat sizes are the stagared size like the corvette runs 18 front 19 rear.

the last generation (G1)run flat tires were coded EMT. Have to love marketing they keep calling the same thing something different.

I got confused because the stupid magazines keep staying there the same tires the corvette's use and having come from a corvette those were runflats so I though these were runflats as well.

So the z06 and the ZL1 run the same tire that is actually different tire ha ha. Just like the LSA is a detuned ls9 in the magazines but it is actually a completely different engine.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
MS3DALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
So the z06 and the ZL1 run the same tire that is actually different tire ha ha. Just like the LSA is a detuned ls9 in the magazines but it is actually a completely different engine.
I know,it can be confusing huh?!?

Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
Self-supporting tires feature a stiffer internal construction, which is capable of temporarily carrying the weight of the vehicle, even after the tire has lost all air pressure. To provide "self-supporting" capability, these tires typically attach rubber inserts next to or between layers of heat-resistant cord in their sidewalls to help prevent breaking the reinforcing cords in the event of loss of air pressure. They also feature specialized beads that allow the tire to firmly grip current Original Equipment and aftermarket wheels even in the event of air loss. Because self-supporting tires are so good at masking the traditional loss-of-air symptoms that accompany a flat tire, they require a tire pressure monitoring system to alert the driver that they have lost air pressure. Without such a system, the driver may not notice underinflation and may inadvertently cause additional tire damage by failing to inflate or repair the tire at the first opportunity. Typically, self-supporting tires maintain vehicle mobility for 50 miles at speeds up to 55 mph.
Examples: Bridgestone RFT (Run-Flat Tire), Dunlop DSST (Dunlop Self-Supporting Technology) and ROF (Run-On-Flat), Firestone RFT (Run-Flat Tire), Goodyear EMT (Extended Mobility Technology) and ROF (Run-On-Flat), Kumho XRP, Michelin ZP (Zero Pressure), Pirelli RFT (Run-Flat Technology) and Yokohama Run-Flat and ZPS (Zero Pressure System).

The International Organization for Standardization (ISO), a worldwide federation of national standards bodies, has adopted a run-flat system symbol for extended mobility systems featuring self-supporting run-flat tires.

Auxiliary Supported Run-Flat Systems
Auxiliary supported systems combine unique wheels and tires used for Original Equipment vehicle applications. In these systems, the flat tire's tread rests on a support ring attached to the wheel when the tire loses pressure. The advantage to this type of system is that it will place most of the mechanical task of providing run-flat capability on the wheel (which typically doesn't wear out or need to be replaced), and minimizes the responsibility of the tire (which does periodically wear out and requires replacement). Additionally, auxiliary support systems promise better ride quality because their sidewall's stiffness can be equivalent to today's standard tires. The disadvantage to auxiliary supported systems is that their unique wheels will not accept standard tires and that their lower volume will make this type of system more expensive.

Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote