Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
CamaroSpeedFreak

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Aluminum Fly wheel

WARNING long winded story followed by my Question

So After a few months with my ARH high flows, Overkill tune and MRT2.0 mufflers I figured it was time to take it up a notch. I got a quote of $810 to have my 3.91 set installed at my GM shop. Gears were purchased separate for $125. The day after I dropped her off I got a call saying there was a slight tolerance issue and it would probably be fine but new bearings and/or shims could fix the tolerance. I told the guys "probably" wasn't in my cars vocabulary and that I'd rather have it done right. They said it would take a few extra days for parts so I dropped my Spec clutch kit off... killing two birds with one long Camaro less week stone.
After taking my transmission out it was noted that a "bearing?" or something like that was going out on my slave cylinder they recommended a new slave as it was one unit. I want a reliable job done so I said go for it. I Get her back 2 weeks later and $3850 later (125 gears 1200 clutch and the $2500 shop bill) and she moves like a new car. Will set me up with a speedo and tune update and off I went. Firm pedal quick strong engagement . Passing with half the downshifts is awesome too. Unfortunately I can't say how she moves with no restrictions as I have to baby her through the break in as I spent way too much to screw something up.
Now she squeaks as a new clutch apparently will through the break-in period. But what has me alarmed is that there is this horrible growl/grinding. People can hear it from the sidewalk. Spec says its the trade off of having a aluminum performance flywheel vs a OEM dual mass one. Sounds like when your creeping @ 5mph or so on gravel to avoid dusting up your shinny Camaro. That rocks being pressed together sound. IS this typical???? I can deal with the sound if it is. Just can't deal with trashing my clutch or Trans if it isn't typical.
CamaroSpeedFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
DokWatson
Dok

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
I don't understand a word of this.
DokWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Take it back to the shop and have them listen to it, the sooner the better.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #4
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
I never had this issue with any of the high performance clutches I had, then I went auto swap.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #5
awdmofo
V6 banger

Drives: 2016 Lexus CT200H
Quote:
Originally Posted by DokWatson View Post
I don't understand a word of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
Take it back to the shop and have them listen to it, the sooner the better.
Agreed, if something is wrong you need to have it looked at, and if there isn't they should document that what you are hearing is normal in case they are wrong and you can call them out on it and make them fix it. What clutch and flywheel did you go with? I'm thinking of a new clutch and maybe a lighter flywheel next year, but not sure for a daily driver that a lighter flywheel is the best idea.
Elite E2 catch can, CAI intake, 2.5" SLP Loudmouth II mufflers with no resonators with an X pipe, Kenny Racing ported TB, Jacfab spacer and ported manifold and Accelerated Racing E85 octane dyno tune = 300WHP

Special Thanks to... Jason@JacFab, ChibBlackSheep, Kenny Racing & Accelerated Racing (use to be in) Rancho Cucamonga CA.
awdmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
CamaroSpeedFreak

Well I took it back to GM. Naturally they said it was probably just break in noises but that they couldn't be 100% sure as its aftermarket parts they have no experience with. Luckily after a few hundred more miles the noises went completely away.
Had to take her back a second time as the pedal got super soft and was a pain to get in and out of gear at a stop. They ended up bleeding my clutch again but they couldn't achieve the original firmness I had when I first got the car back with the new clutch.

The Clutch and flywheel are SPEC and it was there stage 2 kit. Honestly other than the somewhat soft pedal and the awesome grip it has when It engages I can't really tell a drivability difference between the aluminum flywheel vs stock.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #7
awdmofo
V6 banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpeedFreak View Post
Well I took it back to GM. Naturally they said it was probably just break in noises but that they couldn't be 100% sure as its aftermarket parts they have no experience with. Luckily after a few hundred more miles the noises went completely away.
Had to take her back a second time as the pedal got super soft and was a pain to get in and out of gear at a stop. They ended up bleeding my clutch again but they couldn't achieve the original firmness I had when I first got the car back with the new clutch.

The Clutch and flywheel are SPEC and it was there stage 2 kit. Honestly other than the somewhat soft pedal and the awesome grip it has when It engages I can't really tell a drivability difference between the aluminum flywheel vs stock.
well you should feel the RPM's raising up fasters with less weight to spin, did you notice any difference? Also usually the engagement is harsher and comes on stronger. maybe after its broken in more than 800 miles and you push it you could feel a difference.
Elite E2 catch can, CAI intake, 2.5" SLP Loudmouth II mufflers with no resonators with an X pipe, Kenny Racing ported TB, Jacfab spacer and ported manifold and Accelerated Racing E85 octane dyno tune = 300WHP

Special Thanks to... Jason@JacFab, ChibBlackSheep, Kenny Racing & Accelerated Racing (use to be in) Rancho Cucamonga CA.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #8
CamaroSpeedFreak

Well back to the shop she goes. Grabbed some lunch on break jump in the car to head back and clutch pedal right to the floor the car is still creeping backwards. Had to hold the brake to get it to stop. Was a S.O.B to get out of reverse... so something isn't right.

Any idea whats going on? Haven't even gotten to play with it yet and this is already becoming a major problem for me.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #9
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
Quote:
Well back to the shop she goes. Grabbed some lunch on break jump in the car to head back and clutch pedal right to the floor the car is still creeping backwards. Had to hold the brake to get it to stop. Was a S.O.B to get out of reverse... so something isn't right.

Any idea whats going on? Haven't even gotten to play with it yet and this is already becoming a major problem for me.
Sounds like you might have a leak in the clutch line or internally in the master or slave. The fact that they have had to bleed the lines more than once would indicate that the hydraulic system isn't sealed.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
CamaroSpeedFreak

Welp got a call from GM today. The Hard disengage and noise source has finally been found!! looks like SPEC forgot to torque down some bolt's on the "Face"... Those bolts backed out and screwed the whole deal up. Called spec and I have to send it back (at my cost of course) for repairs then they will return it to me as soon as they fix it. SOOOOOOO:
1. I pay for a clutch install TWICE
2. I pay to have there F**k up sent back
3. I wait to drive MY car

Thank you spec! and thank you Aftermarket for standing behind your Quality with a nice "We don't pay for labor on our screw up" clause in all these company's agreements
2013 Camaro M6 LFX. MODS: 3.91 gears,MRT V2, Magnaflow X-pipe, CAI, Overkill 91 tune, spec stage 2 clutch, Aluminum flywheel, Spare tire delete.......Next installs in order 20% under drive, intake spacer, larger throttle body, 75 shot
Old 08-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
awdmofo
V6 banger

Quote:
Welp got a call from GM today. The Hard disengage and noise source has finally been found!! looks like SPEC forgot to torque down some bolt's on the "Face"... Those bolts backed out and screwed the whole deal up. Called spec and I have to send it back (at my cost of course) for repairs then they will return it to me as soon as they fix it. SOOOOOOO:
1. I pay for a clutch install TWICE
2. I pay to have there F**k up sent back
3. I wait to drive MY car

Thank you spec! and thank you Aftermarket for standing behind your Quality with a nice "We don't pay for labor on our screw up" clause in all these company's agreements
Oh that blows . I'd be pissed too!! call and bitch up the food chain there until they make it right!!