Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
WarWolfX0

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE Manual
Winter tires? and tire sizes?

OK I need some help
I just bought a new (to me) 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I live in one of Chicago suburbs and am worried about the winter.
(last year we had a freak snow storm, 3ft with dunes up to 6ft)
the average driving condition will be plowed street or compacted snow.
i have been told that i will slide around even with winter tires
(i have told people that i have driven a full size van with balding tire in the winter. it drives sideways in the snow.) This year will be the first year i drive a manual in the winter.

I don't want to damage my new car.

I know i need winter tires for it, and i am looking for them now.
I currently have 245/45ZR20, 275/40ZR20 stock Pirelli

1. I heard lot about minus 1 tires and even putting on 18 inch tires on it.
is putting on fatter (higher wall) tire better for traction in the winter or is it better because of the bumps (potholes). What rim size is the best for my 2SS in the winter, and how much better is it against 20.

I might want to use my rim as winter rims ( the previous owner had what look like pothole damage on the rims and ran next to the curb a few times. I am looking at Pirelli's Scorpion Ice & Snow or Blizzak for winter tires.

2. I might get some new rims for the winter (depends on the response to question one) , some of them look to have the same size for the front and back, backspacing around 6.5 using 245 tires all around. Is it better to get narrower tires in the snow. I heard that it is harder to move though snow with wider tires. I like the idea of getting all the same tires and rims for the winter so i can rotated them every year. (i know some tires are directional)

3. I was also told that i should put some sand bags in the trunk. So that got me thinking.
maybe i should get heaver rims. what do you think. This is only for the winter.

4. I will be getting new rims for the summer to, some lightweight 20" or 18".
Form what i see the only reason to go bigger is for show. I would rather keep my tires on the road. I would like to increase my mpg, horsepower, and grip, if get 20's i will keep my Pirelli tires (i may get some Nitto tires later.) Is it better to keep the stock size or go smaller to 18” for the summer. I am also planning on going to the track next year for some sport car and drag racing. The reason i didn't mention the larger 21 or 22 "rim's because they look to be heavier.

5. Is the bolt pattern different or are there other reason why there is a 1,2SS and a RS listing under the SS on tire-racks site. I have also noticed that the LS/LT model’s have
the 18 - 22 inch rims but when i select my 2SS or the RS it only shows 20 or 22 do the 18 work on the SS?

6. What tire will fit in my car's spare tire slot. I don't like the idea of not having a spare. I have seen some bad blow out were the side wall is ripped open, now i haven't seen this on a Camaro yet but who knows. The dealer has told me that there isn’t room for the SS tire in there, but the LT or LS has one. I don't care if it is even a donut, I would like a spare vs pump.

There is a small chance i will get a different Camaro, maybe a ZL1 or a vert or maybe a special edition one. So I would like to know if the tires will work on other Camaro. Like maybe the 18 are only for the LS because of the Brembo’s. I don't know.

BTW I have been reading tire info for 3days now, and this is the first time i will be buying winter tires, my head aches. I came from a
Chevy G20 van to a Chevy s10 blazer to a Camaro. I still have the vehicle i just need to get them working again (engine/transmission rebuilding both).
WarWolfX0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
Cyber/Orange10
Cyber/orange10

Drives: 2010 2SS 96 CE LT4, 12 CRUZE ECO
Send a message via AIM to Cyber/Orange10
I'd use the stock rims for winter since you plan on replacing them anyway. I used Pirelli Scorpion 245/45/20 all around and never had a problem last winter. This car is great in the snow, nice balance, better than the last few generations. And never added any weight either.
Cyber/Orange10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
emsguy

Drives: 2012 2ss convertible
1. check out the "FAQ winter tires - ..." sticky in this forum
2. check out the Tire Rack website

I have owned corvettes for the last eight years. I live in the west suburbs of Chicago. my corvettes have all been daily drivers. I picked up a spare set of OEM wheels as takeoffs. I found one set on EBay, and the others online. I have used Bridgestone Blizzaks and Pirelli snows. never a problem, even last winter.

I got a set of Pirelli's in OEM sizes from Tire Rack for my 2SS convertible. mounted them on OEM rims. mounted Pirelli summer tires that came with the car on a set of SLP takeoffs that I found on EBay for $799. bargains can be found!!!!!

don't even think of trying to drive on summer tires ion the winter. not only is the tread pattern all wrong for snow, the tread compound on the summer tires is not designed for cold weather. the rubber loses its pliability in cold weather. in a winter tire, the tread compound retains its ability to remain pliable in cold weather. it is the cold weather tread compound that allows the tire to grip the road in cold weather.

because the friction circle is much smaller in the winter, even on winter tires, if you pay attention to your driving you can really enjoy the winter and improve your driving skills by driving closer to the outside of the friction circle. just don't try to get to the edge of the friction circle too soon. gradually expand your driving envelope while you look for the edges of the circle. once you get the hang of it, you will be amazed at what you and your car can do.

drive safe and have fun
emsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I've driven my 2LT in two winters, I bought the 20" Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tires. I got the 245 45 R20 for the fronts and the 275 40 R20 for the rears.

Tirerack will not show the rears if you go this route (it did in 2009) but they do have them. You just need to search by size if you do.

The reason I went with the 20's was this was the cheapest option for me. The cost of the tires was cheaper than any tire rim combination. I also have the car looking stock all year round.

By the way if you were talking about the blizzard on groundhog day that shut down lake shore drive, I was able to get the car out and moving in that stuff with the 20" pirelli scorpion ice and snow tires. Your SS is heavier and may cut through the stuff better. I also do not put any weight in my 2LT as it performs fine. I don't recommend driving in a blizzard like that, but I was able to get it moving by turning off the traction control until the tires spun enough to get traction, and then turn the traction control back on.

In fact the Camaro with the snow tires performs better than my 2000 camry in the snow and ice (that has all seasons).

I also know Dhgasman on here who has a ABM 2SS that he does as his daily driver, and he runs the 20" pirelli scorpion ice and snows in the winter as well. He's had no problems.

By using 20" you can be sure that the wheels clear the brembo brakes. Smaller sizes are iffy since some of the brembos have the acoustic dampeners added and can't fit.

Oh and 20's are pretty common for a spare set of rims. Look around and you can find a set for around $600.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
WarWolfX0

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE Manual
OK i have decided to use my current rims for winter and get winter tires
i was thinking the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow, RFT/or not?
WarWolfX0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I've heard the Continental Extreme DWS are the best but not currently available.
I keep a full sized tire/wheel in my trunk. It fits on top, plus it will add some weight that your looking for.
Have you ever thought of getting a "winter beater" ? It's worth it IMO.
Attached Images

Last edited by myold88; 09-13-2011 at 08:29 AM.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber/Orange10 View Post
I'd use the stock rims for winter since you plan on replacing them anyway. I used Pirelli Scorpion 245/45/20 all around and never had a problem last winter. This car is great in the snow, nice balance, better than the last few generations. And never added any weight either.
Ditto

I love my scorpions. I'm in NW PA near Erie and we get a ton of snow, that and they can't really clear the roads because most of them are brick roads. Needless to say, I have never had a problem in the snow with the scorpions. No added weight, nothing. Handles better than my old Wrangler did.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
3 - I would say no since the Camaro is pretty heavy by itself
5 - Most 18's cannot clear the Brembo's so most general company's don't list them. Gotta go high end if you're going smaller
6 - Only a doughnut tire will fit in the under trunk space. But for it to fit over the Brembo you need a spacer. You can search the forum for this as I don't have the link or you can look on ebay
Old 09-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
I recommend Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow 245/45R20 front and rear for winter. Please let me know if I can help.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote