Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
mmbarberoilman

Drives: 2SS, 48 Plymouth, 77 Coup Deville
Thumbs up Acceleration 2. What gears fit?

Hello again Camaro fanatics and those of you that are normal. I got a few more miles on it and as someone pointed out it helps to have it in first gear. It jumps real nice. It still could be a real serious hot rod with another 100 horses and a big gear. That would make it scary enough for most folks. Do not get me wrong Camaro fanatics, it will scare most people now. If you read some posts, it goes through the 1/4 in 3 gears. Thats goofy for a drag racer. This car could probably get a 411 or 430 and be fantastic at the track and still drive at 70 on the freeway. It does have a 6 speed trans. I will leave it to some techies out there to figure out the RPM's and all that stuff. Like I said before I do not need 155 or more. I want to cruise at 70 if possible and have a really sweet looking car that shits and gits without getting too radical.

Does anyone have any idea on what size gears will fit this rear end? Does it need any mods to the computer if you simply swap gears, fluids, air intake and headers. Would it be happy with those mods for the AFM? Help. Please
mmbarberoilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
swap the gears and tune it or the computer will still think it will have the stock gearing throwing off the speedo
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
HuJass

Drives: GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbarberoilman View Post
Hello again Camaro fanatics and those of you that are normal. I got a few more miles on it and as someone pointed out it helps to have it in first gear. It jumps real nice. It still could be a real serious hot rod with another 100 horses and a big gear. That would make it scary enough for most folks. Do not get me wrong Camaro fanatics, it will scare most people now. If you read some posts, it goes through the 1/4 in 3 gears. Thats goofy for a drag racer. This car could probably get a 411 or 430 and be fantastic at the track and still drive at 70 on the freeway. It does have a 6 speed trans. I will leave it to some techies out there to figure out the RPM's and all that stuff. Like I said before I do not need 155 or more. I want to cruise at 70 if possible and have a really sweet looking car that shits and gits without getting too radical.

Does anyone have any idea on what size gears will fit this rear end? Does it need any mods to the computer if you simply swap gears, fluids, air intake and headers. Would it be happy with those mods for the AFM? Help. Please
Dude, why are you so hell bent on wanting to swap gears on this car?
That should be the last thing you do, if it should be done at all.

First things first, read your owners manual and figure out the transmission and the electronic nannies. Figure out how to turn all that stuff off. Then break the car in properly. Next, run it down the strip to baseline it.
If it still isn't fast enough, then add headers, a cat-back, a CAI, and a good tune (there are no chips in a modern GM vehicle).
Those simpler things will probably put that car into the mid to low 12s without affecting the drivability of the car at all.

And you have to remember that all LS series engines are kinda logey until they hit about 3 grand. Nature of the beast.
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
vsgls1

Drives: 07 GMC Sierra
Send a message via AIM to vsgls1
Follow that path, then ponder 3.70 gears if it isn't good enough.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
I agree with HuJass, do the more common stuff first. Also, if you're going to do intake or exhaust, do intake + exhaust + tune together or else you probably won't get much out of it (others will disagree).

http://f-body.org/gears is a good gear calculator that will help you figure out what gear you want. How many RPM do you want to cruise at 70mph?

Rear end: 3.27 (all Camaros except SS manual; SS manual is 3.45)
SS auto gears: 4.03, 2.36, 1.53, 1.15, .85, .67
70mph in the SS auto according to gear calculator: 1850rpm
70mph if the SS auto's rear end is changed to 3.45: 1966rpm
70mph if the SS auto's rear end is changed to 4.11: 2333rpm
70mph if the SS auto's rear end is changed to 4.30: 2433rpm

Not that it matters to you, but you'll probably drop your fuel economy by 20% with the 4.11 or 4.30. Big torquey engines usually do better turning tall gears.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Its a 6060 transmission so the pumpkin is most likely like the Z06 pumpkin. Should not be that hard of a swap. It will not take long to figure out what fits.

Unless you drag all of the time 4.1 might be a little aggressive. I had 4.10s on my C5 Corvette w/ a modded motor and it revs up a little fast and causes a LOT more shifting as a DD>
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuJass View Post
Dude, why are you so hell bent on wanting to swap gears on this car?
That should be the last thing you do, if it should be done at all.

First things first, read your owners manual and figure out the transmission and the electronic nannies. Figure out how to turn all that stuff off. Then break the car in properly. Next, run it down the strip to baseline it.
If it still isn't fast enough, then add headers, a cat-back, a CAI, and a good tune (there are no chips in a modern GM vehicle).
Those simpler things will probably put that car into the mid to low 12s without affecting the drivability of the car at all.

And you have to remember that all LS series engines are kinda logey until they hit about 3 grand. Nature of the beast.
having an A6 in this car, swap the gears when you can for some thing more aggressive, and you wont have driveabiltity problems.

gears shouldnt be the last thing on the list, they are just another mod in the series of events. while most people go for intake and exhaust to get the most power from the motor before making full use of that power, others will start at the back and work their way forward.

all the power in the world doesnt mean squat if you cant put it to the ground
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I would like to have some official input of what gears fit also. I would like to drop 3.73 into the rear on my manual...It will up it a bit and still not affect daily driving!!! They woudl be perfect....But of course we need to know what fits first..

So who wants to go tear into that new rearend on their baby so we can find out?
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
Robin Lawrence

Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
I would like to have some official input of what gears fit also. I would like to drop 3.73 into the rear on my manual...It will up it a bit and still not affect daily driving!!! They woudl be perfect....But of course we need to know what fits first..

So who wants to go tear into that new rearend on their baby so we can find out?
I have ordered a spare ring and pinion to determine what it is.

After that I should be able or try to figure out how to get a stiffer gear.

Robin

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #10
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
u guys are forgetting how tall the tires are.
3" taller than what was on a GTO or IROC.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
No less than a 4:11 gear going in mine.....have to see what ratios come out, maybe a lil more if they have it. My 95 Z had 4:10's and it was perfect!
Old 05-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
Robin Lawrence

Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
We will get this apart to see just what it is. Should have it in the hands of my friends at Motive Gear to confirm what we think will work.

I will start with a 4.10 to 4.30. Based on the tire size, car weight and horsepower and torque those will get me with several hundred RPM of the optimum.

Robin

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
o2camaross

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 04 silvy
Robin, you are the freaking man. i wants some 4.30's!!!!!
o2camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Get it apart!! I want 3.73s in mine!!!
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote