Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-13-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
spaceaholic
SpaceAholic

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
Long Term Preservation of Gen 5 SS/RS

This week joined the fraternity, acquiring a 2SS/RS in CMG. I believe very strongly that GM hit it out of the park with this generation and the vehicle is going to become an enduring classic hence my desire to retain in as pristine a condition as possible - which means for now minimal miles; its going to become a "garage queen". The car currently has 132 miles on it and I live in a relatively dry environment (car will be kept in my garage)

What considerations should I keep in mind to ensure the vehicle does not deteriorate over time. Am prepared to take it out periodically (as nessessary) to run the engine (to ensure lubrication is distributed and oring seals remain malleable) - what is the minimum frequency and distance recommended?. Any thing else I should be doing to arrest degradation?

Scott
spaceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
So you bought the car and your not gonna drive this beast??? It's a car. Drive the thing!
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:39 AM   #3
baysinger
baysinger

Drives: 2010 IOM M6 SS
Congrats on your new car. Sounds like you want a classic in about 30 years. I can not think of any cars of today will ever replace the sixties muscle cars in value. They bring high value because of the limited number produced and originality These cars are produced in large numbers which will keep their classic value down. The sixties muscle cars will still be around in thirty more years also. So drive and enjoy your new ride.
baysinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:28 AM   #4
tommygun6644

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Cobalt LT
Hate to break it to you, but cars today aren't going to be classics. They don't really rot like the old ones do.

True, it will be worth something low miles many years down the road, but is it worth it?
Old 02-13-2010, 04:00 AM   #5
Chief Bob

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 SIM CTF Car M6
Take some advise---I have a 2002 SS convertible. which is on Ebay right now, for sale. This car is a multiple award winner in every show I could make it to and has been a garage queen for 8 years. To speed up the story, it's not worth that much more than a well taken care of driver. So the moral of the story is have fun with your car, take care of it and when the next gen comes out you are going to want it!

Chief Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
kjd15
Finally!!

Drives: '10 2LT Summit white, '68 Camaro
What happens if in 30 years, the car isn't worth what you thought it would be? You would have wasted all that driving time!
kjd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Well this is good one. As an "investment" a car or truck is pretty bad. Especially if you don't have a specific VIN or very rare powertrain combination.

40 years down the road, sure you could be the guy that has the Chevelle SS on Barrett-Jackson getting big money. 40 years from now there might only be a few thousand of the 100+ thousand built.

Just for reference, 36,000 invested for 40 years at 8% would be worth $786,000. So for an investment, I don't think a 2010 Camaro would match that.

Remember 2010 is a long model run. It will have the highest volume of any year and starting in 2011, the convertible is in the mix so 2010 will have the highest number of coupes built.

That being said, you need to control the environment. Humidity and temperature. Also you need to make sure it is out of the light. NO UV or sunlight of any kind. Plus you will have to maintain it. You would have to do the interior every year to keep it clean and moist. Especially the leather.

And by the way for max value you can't drive it at all, keep every shred of documentation and don't pull the plastic off the seats or steering wheel.

Just my thoughts.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
T D C

Drives: hurst m6 V8 BLK 2SS vin 375
drive your car have fun thats what its made for
it will probably be worth something 30 years down the line if GM stops making the camaro with a V8 because of a high jump in gas price or a new law against
high cu.in. engines but i do not think this will happen.

I dont drive mine in the winter but i will take very long drives in the summer

Last edited by T D C; 02-13-2010 at 03:32 PM.
T D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #9
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Well this is good one. As an "investment" a car or truck is pretty bad. Especially if you don't have a specific VIN or very rare powertrain combination.

40 years down the road, sure you could be the guy that has the Chevelle SS on Barrett-Jackson getting big money. 40 years from now there might only be a few thousand of the 100+ thousand built.

Just for reference, 36,000 invested for 40 years at 8% would be worth $786,000. So for an investment, I don't think a 2010 Camaro would match that.

Remember 2010 is a long model run. It will have the highest volume of any year and starting in 2011, the convertible is in the mix so 2010 will have the highest number of coupes built.

That being said, you need to control the environment. Humidity and temperature. Also you need to make sure it is out of the light. NO UV or sunlight of any kind. Plus you will have to maintain it. You would have to do the interior every year to keep it clean and moist. Especially the leather.

And by the way for max value you can't drive it at all, keep every shred of documentation and don't pull the plastic off the seats or steering wheel.

Just my thoughts.
Is a car, it is a great purchase. As an investment, it is a fairly poor purchase, so it seems like you'd want to use it for what it was really built for!
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote