Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
UBERJIM

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
LS3 Cam Selection

Hey, guys. I'm new to the site. Just bought a 2012 2SS/RS. I have GMPP cat back exhaust and Diablosport programmer as of now. Want to replace the stock cam. I am looking at Comp Cams 146-458-11 (http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1427&sb=0). Unlike anybody else with a performance car, I want to get as much HP out of the cam and still be a good DD. I know a lot of you may have a preference on cam, but with respect to this specific cam, I would like to know if it is too aggressive or if I should go bigger. I don't mind putting up with a little attitude from the car, but stalling isn't an option. Thanks for the feedback.
UBERJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
From what I've read, its best to buy headers before a cam. Cams just arent nearly as effective without them. If it was me, I'd get all my bolt-ons installed before a cam, which I plan to. Ported Throttle Body, CAI, Headers, High Flow Cats, catback exhaust, ect.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:46 AM   #3
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
you can get a cam kit from a vender here very simple. also you need a CAI and HEADERS to do a decent cam. also will need a nice tune.

just a FYI there is no such thing as a GMPP made for camaro cat back, only axle back.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
UBERJIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
you can get a cam kit from a vender here very simple. also you need a CAI and HEADERS to do a decent cam. also will need a nice tune.

just a FYI there is no such thing as a GMPP made for camaro cat back, only axle back.
Thanks for the FYI. I found the car use with 800 miles. That's right, 800. The guy already did the exhaust. Saw GMPP on the mufflers. Just assumed it was cat back.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
UBERJIM

I plan on the CAI with ADM scoop based on the shoot out results. This will be next. I planned on cam then long tube headers. I justified this because $1000 spent on a cam for 50+ HP seems like money well spent. $1000+ on headers for only 25 HP kind of hurts. If I had a cam already, headers might be worth 30+ HP. Not so bad. The end result is the same, just a perception game.

All that said, knowing the car will have long tube headers, cold air intake, axle back, mid pipe (if necessary after long tubes), and a custom tune to bring everything together, what do you think of the cam? I want to get as much out of the car as possible while being a good DD. FYI, this will be the extent of my mods. Just looking to break the 500 HP mark. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBERJIM View Post
I plan on the CAI with ADM scoop based on the shoot out results. This will be next. I planned on cam then long tube headers. I justified this because $1000 spent on a cam for 50+ HP seems like money well spent. $1000+ on headers for only 25 HP kind of hurts. If I had a cam already, headers might be worth 30+ HP. Not so bad. The end result is the same, just a perception game.

All that said, knowing the car will have long tube headers, cold air intake, axle back, mid pipe (if necessary after long tubes), and a custom tune to bring everything together, what do you think of the cam? I want to get as much out of the car as possible while being a good DD. FYI, this will be the extent of my mods. Just looking to break the 500 HP mark. Thanks.

I'm actually in the EXACT same boat. I'm at the point now where I'm ready for the cam and tune. My boss is selling me his cam with <1000 miles on it, springs, hardened pushrods and all for $400. He paid over $900 for it and put down 490 rwhp/435 ft-lb in his 2010 M6 with essentially the same mods I have other than the UD pulley and AirRade intake.
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Maybe save a bit longer so you can do the cam and LTs at the same time. I have ARH LTs and the ADM race CAI. The Comp cam I went with has very similar numbers to the one on your link. It has good numbers all across the curve and really wakes up above 3000 rpm. Still get over 22 MPG on long drives and only driving issue is not behaving at speeds below about 12 MPH. Can't just idle through a parking lot.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
navyblueSS

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Looks like a nice cam. I would definately do headers first though or you will not get the full benefit of the cam. Several people have tried it with less than impressive results.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Quote:

And unless you plan on doing the install yourself, a cam will run you closer to $2000 for install and tune.
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
UBERJIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabamaro View Post
And unless you plan on doing the install yourself, a cam will run you closer to $2000 for install and tune.
I'll be doing it myself. There is a pretty good write up floating around on doing this to the 2010+ camaro ss. Looks pretty invasive. Should be a good challenge. Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'll do the LTs first. I'll keep this cam on the back burner until I'm done with the other stuff.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
Quote:

NO NO NO, you will have to tune the car 2 times if you do that.
headders first, even if it is a cheap O set, then get the tune with the cam. you can always toss the cheap O headders if you want to in favor of a higher price set. ARH has some you can keep 700 bucks. texas speed 550 buck, OBX 400 off ebay... dont forget the o2 extensions. Call Ted at Jannetty racing his ARH come with everything. he might have a cam with a SCT tune as well.... Just trying to save your wallet and a little head ache...
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
+ you wont get the 50 hp prommised from a cam with out the headders to flow the extra exhaust...
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #13
UBERJIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodbar View Post
NO NO NO, you will have to tune the car 2 times if you do that.
headders first, even if it is a cheap O set, then get the tune with the cam. you can always toss the cheap O headders if you want to in favor of a higher price set. ARH has some you can keep 700 bucks. texas speed 550 buck, OBX 400 off ebay... dont forget the o2 extensions. Call Ted at Jannetty racing his ARH come with everything. he might have a cam with a SCT tune as well.... Just trying to save your wallet and a little head ache...
Good point. Even more reason for me to do headers first. So, my new parts priority is CAI with ADM scoop, Kooks headers and x-pipe (still want to utilize the GMPP rear section), cam (listed above), then tune (right after cam). Sound good?
Old 01-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
Overkillphil
Tire Destroyer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Hurst M6
Will that cam even fit without fly cutting the pistons?? Other than that little hitch, looks good!!
Overkillphil is offline   Reply With Quote