Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #113
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues45th View Post
Lol he does it for a living hope he would. Just like you know more about teeth. Doesn't mean then when someone ask you you keep reacting like your stressed that your responding on a forum. I mean its what he does. They called it a polish. He corrects me says I don't watch the videos because they call it something it isn't. I just quoted them. They said polish. And also all I want to do is get my ride looking great. It's only a year old washed weekly and kept very well so that's all I want is a clean smooth no swirl c.f.m. Paint on my 45th. Sorry for as,ing question that weren't coverd under your video. I got someone who is willing to answer questions and actually explain what difference is and why some call products polish when really a glaze.
He doesn't do it for a living.

And I understand with all the different lines that it's hard to keep up with every manufacturer's terms, but that is hardly Junkman's fault. I think that you are overthinking everything. It is not that hard once you jump in, and as Junkman would say, KISS or Keep It Simple Stupid

Wash, clay, compound, polish, protect. All there is too it

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #114
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Look at the picture that you linked to. Do you see how the pad is BIGGER than the back plate? The pad is ALWAYS bigger than the back plate. I explained that in detail within my paint correction videos. As a matter of fact, I show the back plate up close to the screen so that you can read what it says. This is why I stress watching the videos multiple times. A 6.5" pad requires a 6" back plate. A 5.5" pad requires a 5" back plate.
Thanks, again. I fixed my sleepy mistake and ordered the right sized backing plates and hex-logic pads. I watched all the videos and thought I took decent notes. Notta. Fixing my notes now. Going to watch the washing videos now and will pause to take notes this time.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #115
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
So talked with zaino. Think I might skip the buffer. They swear I can get the same results by hand and there product line. And from what I have read seems like a sell. 110 for everything I need. Money isn't the issue but it is 75% application. And there seems the best. And with real results. Chime in love to her why or why not
I've used Zaino for years and I loved it. But I've always done it by hand and it took me hours. I'm going to try something different this time following the Junkman's suggestions. Plus my Zaino products were super old (not sure if that matters or not) so now I'm delving into Meguiars.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #116
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
No it doesn't, but Sal is sending me Clear Seal along with something else. He wants me to apply it differently than the instructions state. He says that the results will be better than if I follow the instructions. We'll see...
Posting a video when done?
Old 11-25-2012, 02:54 AM   #117
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Lol he does it for a living hope he would. Just like you know more about teeth. Doesn't mean then when someone ask you you keep reacting like your stressed that your responding on a forum. I mean its what he does. They called it a polish. He corrects me says I don't watch the videos because they call it something it isn't. I just quoted them. They said polish. And also all I want to do is get my ride looking great. It's only a year old washed weekly and kept very well so that's all I want is a clean smooth no swirl c.f.m. Paint on my 45th. Sorry for as,ing question that weren't coverd under your video. I got someone who is willing to answer questions and actually explain what difference is and why some call products polish when really a glaze.
I'll say this and I'll leave you alone. In my videos, I stress that if anyone has any questions that I cover in my videos, I'll just send you back to the videos. Two, I don't do this for a living. In my videos (more than one), I tell folks that you couldn't pay me to detail cars for a living. There's not enough money in it. In my videos, I say that I own a computer consulting firm. That's what pays the bills. I also do a TV show about computers. That's what I do too. Even the local news channels hit me up for advice on computer related topics. Fixing paint is a hobby of mine and nothing more.

I probably post on 20 different forums, freely sharing information about detailing. I charge you no money to pick my mind or to watch my videos but before I take time out of my day to answer your questions, the only thing that I ask is that you watch the videos multiple times and take notes. Here you are talking as if I work for all these detailing companies, which is so far from the truth. You honestly don't know how you sound. I have people from all over the world shooting me email asking for help along with all my customers who are looking for help or an appointment. Yet, I manage to fit you into my day in order to help you out. This is the way you choose to come back at me. I didn't realize that your skin was so thin.

I will now direct my help to those in this thread who actually appreciate it.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:10 AM   #118
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
Posting a video when done?
If the results are as Sal says they are, then I will make a video. If not, no need to spread the word.

Quote:
I've used Zaino for years and I loved it. But I've always done it by hand and it took me hours. I'm going to try something different this time following the Junkman's suggestions. Plus my Zaino products were super old (not sure if that matters or not) so now I'm delving into Meguiars.
That's the exact same experience that I had. It is very time consuming and I would rather be chasing skirts than rubbing on my car.

Quote:
Thanks, again. I fixed my sleepy mistake and ordered the right sized backing plates and hex-logic pads. I watched all the videos and thought I took decent notes. Notta. Fixing my notes now. Going to watch the washing videos now and will pause to take notes this time.
I cram so much info in my videos, it is EASY to miss half of it. Imagine how many times I have to go through them just to edit the annotations? I will make a video (which takes no telling how long), edit them as necessary, upload them (sometimes for days), and then add the annotations. By the time I post a video, I have invested some serious amount of time in them. The main reason that I started making videos is because I got so tired of typing the same answers or instructions over and over again (although I still have to do that for some folks). So the fact that you missed something is definitely not surprising. I see it constantly over and over again daily. It is very easy to do and that's why I stress multiple viewings.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:15 AM   #119
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
I cram so much info in my videos, it is EASY to miss half of it. Imagine how many times I have to go through them just to edit the annotations? I will make a video (which takes no telling how long), edit them as necessary, upload them (sometimes for days), and then add the annotations. By the time I post a video, I have invested some serious amount of time in them. The main reason that I started making videos is because I got so tired of typing the same answers or instructions over and over again (although I still have to do that for some folks). So the fact that you missed something is definitely not surprising. I see it constantly over and over again daily. It is very easy to do and that's why I stress multiple viewings.
Totally fair request. It's like with computers. So much can be found in the manual or help files FIRST. Mom just got and iPhone and GOOD LORD the questions don't stop. I'm the family computer geek and it's amazing how many in my family don't start with Google. Anyway, I should practice what I preach and review the videos before asking you questions too quickly. I started the wash videos and I'm taking copious notes this time. Last time I was lazy and had iPad projecting to AppleTV and I couldn't take note on Evernote. This time I'm on my 27" iMac and taking notes in real time vs. from memory ...
Old 11-25-2012, 03:47 AM   #120
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Totally fair request. It's like with computers. So much can be found in the manual or help files FIRST. Mom just got and iPhone and GOOD LORD the questions don't stop. I'm the family computer geek and it's amazing how many in my family don't start with Google. Anyway, I should practice what I preach and review the videos before asking you questions too quickly. I started the wash videos and I'm taking copious notes this time. Last time I was lazy and had iPad projecting to AppleTV and I couldn't take note on Evernote. This time I'm on my 27" iMac and taking notes in real time vs. from memory ...
You should see my note taking regiment. I will review something so many times that my cats will get annoyed. lol! But hey, I like taking things VERY slow, step by step, inch by inch. That's why I can't get anyone to work on my car with me. I document every bolt I remove and where it cane from. But when it's all said and done, people love the hell out of my technical writeup's!

Old 11-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #121
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
I'll say this and I'll leave you alone. In my videos, I stress that if anyone has any questions that I cover in my videos, I'll just send you back to the videos. Two, I don't do this for a living. In my videos (more than one), I tell folks that you couldn't pay me to detail cars for a living. There's not enough money in it. In my videos, I say that I own a computer consulting firm. That's what pays the bills. I also do a TV show about computers. That's what I do too. Even the local news channels hit me up for advice on computer related topics. Fixing paint is a hobby of mine and nothing more.

I probably post on 20 different forums, freely sharing information about detailing. I charge you no money to pick my mind or to watch my videos but before I take time out of my day to answer your questions, the only thing that I ask is that you watch the videos multiple times and take notes. Here you are talking as if I work for all these detailing companies, which is so far from the truth. You honestly don't know how you sound. I have people from all over the world shooting me email asking for help along with all my customers who are looking for help or an appointment. Yet, I manage to fit you into my day in order to help you out. This is the way you choose to come back at me. I didn't realize that your skin was so thin.

I will now direct my help to those in this thread who actually appreciate it.
Junkman, even though this post was not directed at me, I hope I have not offended you in any way. Your videos were the first I watched and helped me to get into detailing. If I have offended you, I do apologize. Cheers buddy

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #122
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Forums have been like this from the start. Many users forget that this is a community of shared knowledge. Only works well if everyone pulls their weight and contributes what they can. I cut my teeth on nowonder.com a computer help site back in the day of windows 3.11 and the new 98.

/thread jack

Now about glass... i have heard some clay glass. Can this be right?
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #123
jeffswhitess

Drives: 2010 ss2 white w/gold stripes
Thanks for the help you have given to all of us and thanks for your service in the Military!
jeffswhitess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #124
CrystalRedTintcoat

Junkman, I watched the wash videos. Very good stuff. Lets see if I can execute the water pool rinse. Of course I bought a foam gun and electric dryer (leaf blower). Glad you made the comment about painted wheels. Got a third mitt for that.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #125
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Now about glass... i have heard some clay glass. Can this be right?
Rain-x?
Old 11-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #126
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:

Nope, it's 6". Look it up.

Not that it's that big of a deal, but I got curious reading this and checked the stock backing plate

But still, 6.5 inch pads are what you want.

*Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety*