Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #1
Enator

Drives: 2011 SHELBY GT500 & Volvo S80
Exclamation January 2016 Camaro Sales Figures (and vs. Mustang & Challenger)

January 2016 Delivery (sales) Stats:

Camaro January 2016 Deliveries (actual sales):5,551 11% (Pr Ye)

Compared to Competition:

Mustang January 2016 Delivery (sales):7,5801 -13% (Pr Ye)
Challenger January 2016 Delivery (sales):5,085 11% (Pr Ye)
Attached Images

Enator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
The year over year increase is good! The trend on the Challenger is looking good too.

Kind of a gnarly drop year/year for the Mustang...maybe the wearing off newness combined with no real incentives from Ford is contributing to that. Kind of surprised there wasn't a larger bump in the Camaro sales though..
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Lets get through the spring, and then see whats really happening. The dealer I ordered my car from, still only got 2 Camaros in through January.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Lets get through the spring, and then see whats really happening. The dealer I ordered my car from, still only got 2 Camaros in through January.
Exactly! Still early, remember the major of us have only had our cars from a little over a month now. My dealer, who does a ton of business only has 1 in stock, he sold 1 or 2 besides mine, but hasn't gotten more than a few in, especially for stock.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #5
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Yep also need to wait for all the Camaro models to be available as well.

Interesting your dealer only had 2 in Jan. My local dealer had over 15 2016 models in addition to around 20 or so 2015s last month.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #6
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Ouch. The Mustang has officially pulled ahead of the Camaro in overall sales since 2009 now.

It's really hard right now to say whether it's demand or supply hurting the 6th gen right now. A lot of people on these forums are quick to say it's a supply issue, but we really don't know the bigger picture. Some people say they can't even get in the seat for a test drive, and by contrast, I see plenty of 6th gens sitting on dealership lots in my area unmoved for weeks. I think we have biased perspectives based on the initial allocations. We'll have to see what happens.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
Ouch. The Mustang has officially pulled ahead of the Camaro in overall sales since 2009 now.

It's really hard right now to say whether it's demand or supply hurting the 6th gen right now. A lot of people on these forums are quick to say it's a supply issue, but we really don't know the bigger picture. Some people say they can't even get in the seat for a test drive, and by contrast, I see plenty of 6th gens sitting on dealership lots in my area unmoved for weeks. I think we have biased perspectives based on the initial allocations. We'll have to see what happens.
Well as far as the dealers that have lots of inventory, my local dealer has 22 2016 Camaro's in stock.

However the first batch of them they got in, had almost every single option possible (which is common for most dealers by me for some stupid reason, they load almost every option on to the first new models they get) I remember when they got their first 4 cars in. 2 of them were 2SS's that had MSRP of 47 and 48 and a 1LT with no options and a 2LT that MSRP over 40K. So I am guessing that some other dealers do this too, load up the first models they get with everything and that could cause some people to wait it out a little bit.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:55 PM   #8
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
2015 was a tough year for the Camaro. Mustang sales were higher than Camaro for every month in 2015. They took the lead in total deliveries at the end of October.

The 6th Gen is an awesome car so let's hope this is just a slow start to a great year.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #9
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
I think a lot of dealers are only ordering loaded models as well..which for a 2SS is pushing $47,000-50,000..that could be producing some sticker shock and pushing people away.

My local dealer, Ron Tonkin Chevrolet in Portland has 8 2016's sitting on the lot. Another nearby, Wentworth Chevrolet Subaru has 3 or 4 2016's. They're available, but most are over $44,000.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #10
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post

Honestly, if we want to look at the big picture....its going to be a long long time before we can declare a sales "winner".

I'd like to see the Camaro sell well, but as long as it meets GM's targets, that's all that matters if we want the car to stick around.

I honestly feel that the Mustang will retain the sales lead, but I also would expect to see an uptick, if only for the first several spring/summer months, in Camaro sales.

But back to my first point above....its going to be a while before I think everyone can and will agree that 6th gen new Camaro "hype" has worn down, and sales finally settle in to a pattern. Currently Mustang boys will say "6th gen Camaro isn't selling". Camaro boys will respond "too soon, give it time". Lets say Camaro sales start taking off and we actually outsell Mustang for a month or two this spring, or this summer. Mustang boys will say "its just due to the Camaro being new, and Mustang has been around longer".

All valid arguments.

So on that point, I think we'll need to get through most of 2016 before we finally see the big picture.

Unless we get through these next 3 - 5 months, and Camaro sales haven't upticked at all, while Mustang/Challenger continue on the normal curve.....well then I think we'll all know the sad truth that the Camaro is really not selling like we'd expect.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #11
kcpoloman

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The two major dealers near me had 10-12 2016 in various models each. Weather is holding back sales though Im sure of it. I finally got out on a nice day to check them out and ended up buying one.

Last edited by kcpoloman; 02-02-2016 at 01:21 PM.
kcpoloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #12
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
A popular car shopping web site lists 60 2016 Camaros on dealer lots in the St. Louis metro area. Prices ranged from $29,850 - $49,800.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #13
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Honestly, if we want to look at the big picture....its going to be a long long time before we can declare a sales "winner".
I think the quotation marks are well used in this case. It's more a philosophical term. There's really no definitive winner here other than the consumer, since competition fosters a lot of engineering into both cars.

As you said, when dealing with all the raw data, you can easily bend it to your own interpretation. If looking at total sales of the 5th gen Mustang vs Camaro, the Mustang wins, but it was also out years ahead of time during a period when the Camaro was temporarily out of production. If looking at sales since 2009, the Camaro wins, but then you're discrediting all the sales of the 5th gen Mustang that had occurred before then.

The only way to do an apples to apples comparison of the 6th gen Mustang and Camaro is if they were released on the exact same day and had the exact same production run. Otherwise, you deal with situations like economic factors, how new the car is in its production cycle, availability, demand, etc. 2016 has been a very rough year economically for a lot of people so far, so I'd also throw this into the list of reasons that sales might see a short term negative impact for this year specifically. It was not a good time to launch a car at this price point to be honest. People are worried about investments, and winter isn't exactly a great season for sports car sales.

But anyway, I'll stop stating the obvious and shut up. I'd just be happy to see the Camaro best the Mustang for at least a few months in raw sales volume, but I'm not entirely sure we will see that. Time will tell.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #14
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
I am going to assume this chart showing the total Camaro sales for January 2016 is also including the 5th gens still sitting on the lots. If so, then this chart doesn't mean shit yet for the gen 6 being that there aren't that many 6th gens in lots as of right now. Let's wait till spring to really see how the new Camaro is performing vs the other ponies.