Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Which wheels are you planning on buying, those "re-finished" silver Grand Sports? Just wondering why the need to Plasti-Dip??? As far as tires.....if you're wanting to get some "street" mileage out of them....get the Nitto NT555R. If this is going to be a race-only set-up, then "go for the gold".....M/T ET Street Radial II. With the M/T's, you may break an axle....or you may not....just depends on how hard you are on your launch!!! If it breaks....that just means it was a good time to upgrade to DSS axles!!!
Refinished is fine. I will look into the vendor you suggested. The wheels have to be black on the 1LE! I think the Nittos will be for me then. Hopefully the upgraded 1LE axles will help. Maybe some day I will get more serious, but I want to get more into road tracking first. It is just so expensive. NJ Motorsports Park is near me so it will be fun to get the 1LE more in its element. I need more seat time there too and some better brake fluid.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #16
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Refinished is fine. I will look into the vendor you suggested. The wheels have to be black on the 1LE! I think the Nittos will be for me then. Hopefully the upgraded 1LE axles will help. Maybe some day I will get more serious, but I want to get more into road tracking first. It is just so expensive. NJ Motorsports Park is near me so it will be fun to get the 1LE more in its element. I need more seat time there too and some better brake fluid.
Yeah, you might want to try giving Bob a call at House of Wheels. He quoted me $400/pr. (shipped) yesterday for Brand New OEM Corvette GS Wheels in the same 18x9.5 (+40). I believe he was talking about the Chrome wheels at the time, maybe the pre-painted black wheels are cheaper!?!?!? Then you wouldn't have to mess with the Plasti-Dip stuff.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I found some 18x10.5 ET58 C6 Reps for around $100 each on ebay new. Ill give them a try with some MT ET Street 2's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-18-x-...37d795&vxp=mtr

I wonder if these will have any problems fitting.
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #18
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz1LE View Post
I found some 18x10.5 ET58 C6 Reps for around $100 each on ebay new. Ill give them a try with some MT ET Street 2's.

That wheel won't fit. It's to wide and the offset is wrong. Even with a spacer the wheel is to wide.

18 x 9.5 40mm offset. The correct wheel isn't much more money. Don't get cheap with the most important aspect of your car.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #19
Fraxum

Okay, so if we look for this:
  • Rim Diameter 18"
  • Rim Width 9.5" - 10"
  • Bolt Pattern 5x120.65mm (Corvette) or 5x120mm (Camaro)
  • Offset 40mm
  • Hub bore 70.7mm (?)

The wheel will fit the rear of an SS? Anything else to look for? I guess lug nuts may differ.

So how about this? I know it's not OEM, but it sure is reasonably priced.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-18x9-5-Rep...64c818&vxp=mtr
Old 08-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #20
blazzin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz1LE View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
That wheel won't fit. It's to wide and the offset is wrong. Even with a spacer the wheel is to wide.

18 x 9.5 40mm offset. The correct wheel isn't much more money. Don't get cheap with the most important aspect of your car.
Those wheels will fit (sorta) if you use a healthy spacer, minimum of 5mm, but they will more than likely stick out of the wheel well a little bit. Plus, if you're going to use thick spacers like that, you should also look into extended lugs, or at least extended thread lugs. Personally, I would not use spacers on my car, especially on a "drag" set-up.

Jamie is right.....just buy wheels that fit properly!!!

Quote:
Okay, so if we look for this:
  • Rim Diameter 18"
  • Rim Width 9.5" - 10"
  • Bolt Pattern 5x120.65mm (Corvette) or 5x120mm (Camaro)
  • Offset 40mm
  • Hub bore 70.7mm (?)

The wheel will fit the rear of an SS? Anything else to look for? I guess lug nuts may differ.

So how about this? I know it's not OEM, but it sure is reasonably priced.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-18x9-5-Rep...64c818&vxp=mtr
Yes, that wheel will fit in the rear just fine. Just have to move your emergency brake cable out of the way a little bit.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #21
Fraxum

My ordered drag setup

After researching Drag Radials and advice here (thanks blazzin1) I decided to go with Nitto NT555Rs over NT05Rs.

NT555R

NT05R

I know the NT05R is the better drag radial, but the NT555R is the better street compromise to me. I plan to use the NT555Rs as an every day tire. I know I will be losing some 60' time, but I will not have to be as anxious about driving in the rain. They wear better than the NT05Rs and a little less likely to break axles. If I have track plans (and I hope to) the Goodyears will go back on. I know the floppy sidewall of DRs and the higher tire will make the rear of the 1LE a little sloppy, but it can't be any worse than my stock '11 SS

I went with 305/45R18s over the 305/40R18s as the 45s were cheaper. ?? The 45s also allow you to run a 9.5" wheel. The 40s require 10" wide wheels. The 45s are a little taller, while the 40s are almost the exact 1LE height. That little extra higher gearing will get me a little further down the track than the stock tires before I have to shift into 4th. Once again the 9.5" wheels are cheaper.

My best 60' so far after 5 Test and Tune nights is 2.153. I hope to achieve reliable 1.9s with the DRs and maybe even the occasional 1.8. I know others have done a little better, but I will keep trying. 12s in a stock 1LE (with tires), here I come. I am getting closer every time I go. But I will need really good air to get there on the Goodyears. Also I only have 1,800 miles on the car. Maybe things will get looser later. BTW fuse pulls have done nothing (3 of them) for me.

These are the Voxx wheels I picked below. I went with these in black mainly for price and they might not look too bad on the 1LE if I Plasti Dip the center cap. I ordered these in 18x9.5 with 40mm offset. These are also true 5x120s and they come with hub rings. They also require skinny lugs. I have black skinny Gorilla locks. Since these are every day wheels I also added TPMS. If I keep the pressure between 28-30 That should keep the TP warning off.

These wheels weigh 27 pounds. I will weigh my setup once I get the order in versus 1LE rears.

Edit: these wheels DO NOT fit the SS. Should work on a V6.

But do look great on the car.

http://www.voxxwheel.com/eng/wheels/euro-style/maglia/

I will follow up, hopefully with good results.

Last edited by Fraxum; 08-27-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #22
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Yeah ill be running a similar setup, post up your results.

Ill be going with any good 18x9.5 wheel with the Nitto NT05R's but they will be a track only setup.
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #23
Meltdownaverted
I sell Camaro's

Drives: traded 11 2SS RS SGM for 13 SS 1LE
I started this season with the goodyears, made a few mods and added DRs.....my 60's got slightly worse although the tires hooked up great I bogged and bogged and bogged no matter how high RPMs I launched. Going back to the track with the goodyears (305's this time) on the 15th too see what happens
Meltdownaverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #24
blazzin1

Quote:
These are the Voxx wheels I picked below. I went with these in black mainly for price and they might not look too bad on the 1LE if I Plasti Dip the center cap. I ordered these in 18x9.5 with 40mm offset. These are also true 5x120s and they come with hub rings. They also require skinny lugs. I have black skinny Gorilla locks. Since these are every day wheels I also added TPMS. If I keep the pressure between 28-30 That should keep the TP warning off.

These wheels weigh 27 pounds. I will weigh my setup once I get the order in versus 1LE rears.

http://www.voxxwheel.com/eng/wheels/euro-style/maglia/

I will follow up, hopefully with good results.
Fraxum, did you confirm with the vendor that sold you those wheels that they will fit on your car??? When I said that 18x9.5 (+40) will fit, I was talking about Corvette wheels. With other aftermarket wheels, you need to know if there is enough mounting pad height to clear the brake calipers. You could have the exact dimension as noted above, and if the spokes don't curve out enough, they may still hit the calipers. It's all in the design (curvature) of the spokes. Corvette wheels are made for big caliper brake systems, so for the most part anything with the above specs will work. I just don't want you to get these wheels only to find out they don't fit, and then you'll be pissed at me!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #25
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Fraxum, did you confirm with the vendor that sold you those wheels that they will fit on your car??? When I said that 18x9.5 (+40) will fit, I was talking about Corvette wheels. With other aftermarket wheels, you need to know if there is enough mounting pad height to clear the brake calipers. You could have the exact dimension as noted above, and if the spokes don't curve out enough, they may still hit the calipers. It's all in the design (curvature) of the spokes. Corvette wheels are made for big caliper brake systems, so for the most part anything with the above specs will work. I just don't want you to get these wheels only to find out they don't fit, and then you'll be pissed at me!!!
Yes I confirmed that they will clear the calipers I think. I asked the rep, Discount Tire, and he said yes they fit. If they don't they will be going back and not at my expense. I see what you mean about the curvature of the spokes. They have not shipped yet, so I will double check. No way I'd be mad at you. You were helpful and I did not follow your advice. I tried to get those re-manufactured Corvette wheels. But no one has them any longer, your advice was used too much! Thank you either way as you put me on the right path. I will pay it forward by helping others if I can be of help.

Since I am going with TPMS I will need the tool. I like doing stuff myself.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #26
Fraxum

Well Blazzin1, thanks again. After rechecking Discount tire got nervous. They are shipping me a mounted tire on the wheel I chose at their expense for return shipping. If all goes well they will send me the other one.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #27
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdownaverted View Post
I started this season with the goodyears, made a few mods and added DRs.....my 60's got slightly worse although the tires hooked up great I bogged and bogged and bogged no matter how high RPMs I launched. Going back to the track with the goodyears (305's this time) on the 15th too see what happens
Which DRs? Did you bog even with less of a burnout? I'm hoping that won't happen with NT555Rs.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #28
blazzin1

Quote:
Well Blazzin1, thanks again. After rechecking Discount tire got nervous. They are shipping me a mounted tire on the wheel I chose at their expense for return shipping. If all goes well they will send me the other one.
Well, I'm glad you asked about the wheel fitment again. Hopefully, everything will work out good and everything fits just fine. Keep us informed and let us know. I'm shocked that they would send you a mounted wheel/tire for basically a trial fitment check. Usually, once mounted, you own them!!! I wish you the best of luck!!!!