Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #393
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman 12 View Post
Do we have a solid date yet as to when this is going down?
I don't believe we do yet.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #394
gibblet342
Chris

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
The anticipation is killing me... I am ready to buy, but want to see the results first!

Nosce Te Ipsum
gibblet342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #395
gibblet342
Chris

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
Forgot to add, thanks Jannetty for this. I know you are taking time to do a solid test and can't wait to see the outcome.

Nosce Te Ipsum
gibblet342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #396
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
I can't wait any longer.... I just ordered a K&N. I hope it does well... I'm going to put my own insulation on the heat shield.

Trolled
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #397
Stormyone

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM M6
Okay, let me ask a simple question... does this bolt on really do anything? I have seen quite a few CAI on various 5th generation camaros and to me it appears that it is just a variation of the stock set-up. Additionally if the Intake is pulling air from the engine bay area, all that air is still hot, so I don't understand the benefit. The only way the system could get cooler air is if the intake is located outside of the engine bay area, like maybe in front of the radiator in the grill area... so what am I not understanding?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #398
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyone View Post
Okay, let me ask a simple question... does this bolt on really do anything? I have seen quite a few CAI on various 5th generation camaros and to me it appears that it is just a variation of the stock set-up. Additionally if the Intake is pulling air from the engine bay area, all that air is still hot, so I don't understand the benefit. The only way the system could get cooler air is if the intake is located outside of the engine bay area, like maybe in front of the radiator in the grill area... so what am I not understanding?
The Whole Idea behind a CAI is to pull Cold Air from outside the engine compartment, most of the systems on the market do a real good job of doing so.

The cold Air Source is Below the Filter, where it comes in from the fog lamp area.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #399
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
Quote:
did you look at their first test results from last year? go and look at that and you will see, every intake they tested in part 1 had an increase in power over stock.

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #400
Stormyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The Whole Idea behind a CAI is to pull Cold Air from outside the engine compartment, most of the systems on the market do a real good job of doing so.

The cold Air Source is Below the Filter, where it comes in from the fog lamp area.

Ted.
thank for clarifying...
Old 07-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #401
Stormyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
did you look at their first test results from last year? go and look at that and you will see, every intake they tested in part 1 had an increase in power over stock.
Yes I did, and I noted that the average hp gain was in the range of 4 to about 10 more hp.... I guess I am wondering if you can "fee" a 4 to 10 horsepower increase? I also noted that a CAI with a tune nets better results... So in a real life scenario, with a daily driver than will not be seeing the track, is this modification worth it, that is the question I am asking myself...
Old 07-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #402
Viral

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
I think that question can only be answered by you. If your objective is to free up any and all available "free" horsepower your car already makes, then this is one of a handful of ways of doing so. There are really only a few places that you can modify your factory powertrain and gain additional HP, and this one can be done at home in your garage for a few hundred bucks and net you 5-15HP without voiding your warranty. That makes it an attractive option to a lot of people.

CAIs also have a few other added bonuses in that potentially helps improve throttle response a bit, gives a bit more sound (at least at WOT) and generally looks better under the hood. Again, only you can decide if those benefits are worth your money.

Let me state it this way. Let's say a $300 CAI adds 14HP at the crank. Would you buy a "426HP Camaro" for $35,000 or a "440HP Camaro" for $35,300? That should let you know if 14HP is worth $300 to you
Old 07-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #403
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
5-10hp might not be a huge amount, but if you plan to tune it you can get around 25hp which will make a big difference.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #404
Stormyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
I think that question can only be answered by you. If your objective is to free up any and all available "free" horsepower your car already makes, then this is one of a handful of ways of doing so. There are really only a few places that you can modify your factory powertrain and gain additional HP, and this one can be done at home in your garage for a few hundred bucks and net you 5-15HP without voiding your warranty. That makes it an attractive option to a lot of people.

CAIs also have a few other added bonuses in that potentially helps improve throttle response a bit, gives a bit more sound (at least at WOT) and generally looks better under the hood. Again, only you can decide if those benefits are worth your money.
Thanks Viral for summing it up, agreed... I suppose I was thinking outloud, and trying to determine if this particular modification is viable and if I could actually "feel" the difference day in and day out....
Old 07-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #405
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
Ted,

did you guys consider getting a K&N drop in filter to compare to the stock filter?

or even the SLP tube and filter kit that utilizes the stock airbox? or is this similar to the New Era powerpipe?

never could get a good understanding of exactly what the new era powerpipe looks like.

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #406
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Quote:
Yes I did, and I noted that the average hp gain was in the range of 4 to about 10 more hp.... I guess I am wondering if you can "fee" a 4 to 10 horsepower increase? I also noted that a CAI with a tune nets better results... So in a real life scenario, with a daily driver than will not be seeing the track, is this modification worth it, that is the question I am asking myself...

I'm in the same boat. As a daily driver and not racing, is spending $300 + to gain 4 -10 hp really worth it....I'm leaning towards no...

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote