Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
I had a 2011 1LT with the LLT V6. I had it into the dealership once for warranty work (timing chain cover seal was leaking). I drove it up to 56,100 miles and traded it in for a 2013 SS. I never had any problems with the motor, trans, or converter. I had a fair amount of mods on it and drove it like I stole it most of the time.

OP sorry to hear about your issues. Maybe time for an aftermarket Torque Converter?
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #16
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel0629 View Post
So let me begin by saying that 3-4 years ago I was dying for being able to purchase my first ever camaro always loved them and finally I was fortunate to purchase on on 10/11 I purchased a 2012 2LS A6 and within 6 months the torque converter went bad so not really worried just thought it was a fluke got it fixed tood 2 damn weeks about 2 months later I traded it for a 2012 1LT/RS and I was in love I have done only appearance mods and CAI I have had the car since 5/12 and 2 weeks ago thats right you guessed it the torque converter went bad 2 weeks have gone by and i'm finally picking it up today. I am so frustrated at first I thought it was me doing something wrong but I Never took either vehicle over 70 for the first 1500miles and was very careful with the break in period on both vehicle's. Problem is I am stuck with this car because I owe to much on it so as of right now I just dont enjoy my car I mean for god sakes they are brand new cars my 1st car only had 5500 miles and my current car only has 7000miles only just shouldn't happen...Very disappointed in GM and the Camaro sorry I know alot of you will disagree but stuff like this just shouldn't happen to new vehicles thank God for Warrenties.
Thanks for letting me vent...Oh and also it has prevented me from doing the Mods I really want in fear of it breaking down...
It's just luck of the draw. For as many as have been sold the problems are very small. I've had to have my valley cover replaced, then broke a valve spring on the highway, and most recently the transmission repaired. There were a couple of smaller things. My car is a daily driver only with 47k miles.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #17
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
It is bad luck. I'm like 50/50 on things I but, cars, guitars, mods, electronics lol. Seems like every other time I buy something there's something wrong with it, whether its expensive or not. The difference being the quAlity stuff usually has good customer service and/or warranties to back it up.

Now when I had my v6 4th gen, everything was wrong all the time, terrible luck lol
Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #18
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'BlueCoupe View Post
Thirty thousand miles on my V6........not one issue yet
22,000 miles on my 2010 and only had software updates. Nothing mechanical.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
FastRaceCars
Drag Racer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Automatic transmissions have been plagued by problems as they've gotten more complex, and it happens across the board with about all makes/models. On average, they will fail between 100-150K miles. I never have understood why the automakers have went towards ever more complex automatic transmissions, knowing they won't hold up long-term, and are far more difficult to diagnose and repair. I have to assume this is an intentional move so they can keep selling new models after the warranty period ends.
FastRaceCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #20
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRaceCars View Post
Automatic transmissions have been plagued by problems as they've gotten more complex, and it happens across the board with about all makes/models. On average, they will fail between 100-150K miles. I never have understood why the automakers have went towards ever more complex automatic transmissions, knowing they won't hold up long-term, and are far more difficult to diagnose and repair. I have to assume this is an intentional move so they can keep selling new models after the warranty period ends.
No These cars have a 5 year 100,000 mile power train warranty on them. not 3 years and 36,000. It is a sports cars ,You think you can put 200k on them and only do oil changes?
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #21
Kent2010

Drives: Camaro SS
First off -- sorry to hear about the tranny troubles. Its very disappointing to have not 1 but 2 new car transmissions fail early. Either you have really terrible luck, or there's another factor at play here.

However, its hard to imagine you are hampered by "owing too much" on it when you buy a new 2012 LS and 7 months later still find the cash to take a bath on your 7 month old Camaro, and trade for another new 2012 LT.

Not saying you shouldn't trade whenever you want, but when you trade *that* often, you *know* its not going to be cheap. Pay to play, you know?
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRaceCars View Post
I never have understood why the automakers have went towards ever more complex automatic transmissions,

better MPG, and more power to go with it.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #23
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
No issues here.....
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
OP i think its time to trade up to an SS.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #25
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
So let me begin by saying that 3-4 years ago I was dying for being able to purchase my first ever camaro always loved them and finally I was fortunate to purchase on on 10/11 I purchased a 2012 2LS A6 and within 6 months the torque converter went bad so not really worried just thought it was a fluke got it fixed tood 2 damn weeks about 2 months later I traded it for a 2012 1LT/RS and I was in love I have done only appearance mods and CAI I have had the car since 5/12 and 2 weeks ago thats right you guessed it the torque converter went bad 2 weeks have gone by and i'm finally picking it up today. I am so frustrated at first I thought it was me doing something wrong but I Never took either vehicle over 70 for the first 1500miles and was very careful with the break in period on both vehicle's. Problem is I am stuck with this car because I owe to much on it so as of right now I just dont enjoy my car I mean for god sakes they are brand new cars my 1st car only had 5500 miles and my current car only has 7000miles only just shouldn't happen...Very disappointed in GM and the Camaro sorry I know alot of you will disagree but stuff like this just shouldn't happen to new vehicles thank God for Warrenties.
Thanks for letting me vent...Oh and also it has prevented me from doing the Mods I really want in fear of it breaking down...
Even if the Camaro was the most reliable car on the planet, you still have had problems and that's not OK. How could anyone agree that you should have had two converters fail?

However, every car will have a few lemons. Did the service center tell you what they feel happened, or did they just say "it broke"?

Is it the same service center for both cars? Have they done something to promote the failures, maybe? I'm not suggesting they have, but there's so many questions that your experience begs. The failures happened for a reason. have you contacted GM corporate and told them? Your service center probably said they'd do it, but I would do it myself if I were you

In regards to being afraid of a breakdown, the car has Ontsar and that's that, don't be afraid to drive it.

Not sure why you'd trade the first car in for a fluke problem but that's your business, not mine
Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #26
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
better MPG, and more power to go with it.
In the last ten years or so, equal to better MPG on many models.

I'm not sure how I can agree that a fluid coupling actually adds power, however
Old 01-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #27
WCoolBreeze
2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Garnet Tint
I just went over 24,000 miles on my 2010 2LT/RS. It is an Early Order Activity car, which means I ordered it on October 13th, 2008 and I took delievery on June 5th, 2009. I have had Zero issues with my powertrain. I have had one or two cosmetic issues which were fixed without delay by the dealership. Love my car. Also if you look at my posts, you can see what mods I have done to my car.

Walt B.

Gen6, 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Garnet Tint (with Silver Rally Stripes)

Ordered: 2-12-2016
TPW: 3-7-2016
Built: 3-7-2016
VIN 1G1FH78G0157626
Delivered: 4-26-2016
WCoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #28
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
We definitely apologize for the frustrations that you experienced. I will document your concern in our database for many departments of GM to access.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service